Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look here and make your own mind up...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

Engines can fail from 15k onwards... plus terrible customer service.

But don't just look there, that group consists of a miniscule proportion of owners, and most of the rest, like me, are perfectly happy with their vehicles.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is like rushing to buy a K series engined car because the neighbour is still running a Rover, wheras the one I had had 2 "improved" headgasket kits in 4 years.

I can never win the lottery, but I guarantee that any car I buy will be from that "miniscule portion"
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    But don't just look there, that group consists of a miniscule proportion of owners, and most of the rest, like me, are perfectly happy with their vehicles.

There is also a lot of anecdotal evidence from breakdown men and garages that the ecoboost engines have an issue.

Coupled with this is the number of people that state their new engines are on back order which would appear to back up the fact that they're failing faster than they can build them at times.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Coupled with this is the number of people that state their new engines are on back order which would appear to back up the fact that they're failing faster than they can build them at times.
    I would have argued that that actually demonstrates that they're selling cars with eco-boost engines in as fast as they can make them given the lack of them broken down at the roadside. I travel 400 miles or more PER DAY FIVE DAYS A WEEK up and down the UK major road network and don't see broken down Fords. Surely if it was as bad as you're claiming you'd think I'd see at least one. Given that they're the most common engine that Ford sell to the point they can't keep up with manufacturing then it makes a few hundred or even thousand of them having a problem even less of an issue than some are trying to make out.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    I would have argued that that actually demonstrates that they're selling cars with eco-boost engines in as fast as they can make them given the lack of them broken down at the roadside. I travel 400 miles or more PER DAY FIVE DAYS A WEEK up and down the UK major road network and don't see broken down Fords. Surely if it was as bad as you're claiming you'd think I'd see at least one. Given that they're the most common engine that Ford sell to the point they can't keep up with manufacturing then it makes a few hundred or even thousand of them having a problem even less of an issue than some are trying to make out.

With the greatest respect, basing car reliability on road side breakdowns is ridiculous.

But please enlighten us on your top 3 cars for breakdowns....
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »

Do we need to go over this again?

it is the tip of the iceberg not the total number of incidents.
    Peace.
  • locomomojojo
    Options
    Search Ford EcoBoost Focus Fiesta Faulty Coolant Degas Hose on Facebook or Ecoboost Nightmare. I’m unable to share the direct link here
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This months recall seems to be to fit a coolant level sensor to 15,000 of them, as when they blow up the head can crack, oil squirts on the exhaust and the whole thing bursts into flames.

That would be a nice argument with your insurer, they are only liable to pay out for the fire damage, not what caused the fire.......
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    This months recall seems to be to fit a coolant level sensor to 15,000 of them, as when they blow up the head can crack, oil squirts on the exhaust and the whole thing bursts into flames.

Did you read that on your favourite scaremongering website? Clearly written by a journalist with zero mechanical knowledge.

Oh deary me. When heads crack it is usually between the water galleries or in the combustion chamber. It almost never ever results in oil being spewed anywhere.

Having owned a Rover SD1 V8 which used to spew a litre of oil a day out of the rocker covers onto the exhaust manifolds I can say with a fair amount of certainty that oil spewing onto the exhaust manifold isn't likely to result in anything more than a horrible smell and a bit of smoke.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure