Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    It is shocking that some people have paid for new engines at around £5000 when the age and millage is often less than half what we all expect from a car... most would expect 100k miles and 10 years before a new engine is needed?
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Now up to 806 registration plates...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightm...
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Now up to 871 registration plates listed on the Facebook group 2 weeks after group legal action announced and stories hits mainstream media.
    Peace.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've looked over that Facebook page. Peoples' engines have been literally blowing up.

From what I can see it mostly affects cars out of warranty. Those who have had them since new and serviced them in the Ford network appear to be the least worst looked after. Sometimes getting 100% for a replacement engine.

People who bought used and out of warranty and not from a Ford main dealer appear to be pretty much on their own.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    I've been reading the group daily for 18 months, supporting others who are unlucky enough to have an Ecoboost fail on them.

The problem has little to do with servicing, and people who bought from non Ford dealers like myself can get 100% free engines from Ford out of warranty with A LOT of work and patience for often months with no courtesy car. It's only those that fight hard and follow the instructions on the facebook page that get a fair settlement.
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Over 900 registrations plates that have engine replacement listed now on the Facebook page
    Peace.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    From what I can see it mostly affects cars out of warranty. Those who have had them since new and serviced them in the Ford network appear to be the least worst looked after. Sometimes getting 100% for a replacement engine.

I would imagine those in warranty won’t need support as Ford should replace the engine FOC anyway as long as they’ve been serviced correctly.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Engines won't be covered. It's wear and tear.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Over 900 registrations plates that have engine replacement listed now on the Facebook page

So less than one day's worth of Ford's worldwide production of vehicles with Ecoboost engines and how many years has it taken to get that many on Facebook? Yet apparently its a major issue, just not major enough for any motoring press anywhere to mention.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    So less than one day's worth of Ford's worldwide production of vehicles with Ecoboost engines and how many years has it taken to get that many on Facebook? Yet apparently its a major issue, just not major enough for any motoring press anywhere to mention.

It was on RIP Off Britain and a Radio 4 show, also the Guardian did a feature on it. More Ecoboosts are going Ecoboom as time wears on. Most of them are probably fine but that’s not much comfort to the hundreds of people who have all been affected by exactly the same catastrophic engine fault on the same two models of car.

For most people a £6k engine blowing on their £8k car is the worst thing that will happen to them financially short of their partner leaving them for the milkman / woman.

There are people on the Facebook page who are on their third engine. Clearly Ford don’t really know why it’s happening. Or they do and they’re keeping quiet.

As I mentioned before I had an Ecoboost Focus as a hire car once. I was looking forward to trying it but found it an odd, slightly unsettling drive. It wasn't as fast or as economical as I expected. And I couldn’t shake the feeling that the bonnet contained a sewing machine engine being thrashed to within an inch of its life to propel me along the motorway.

I'd certainly be interested in a bigger petrol turbo (from a different manufacturer) as I think the technology is a great idea, but I’d steer clear of a 1.0 pulling a car the size of a Focus.

Incidentally this has also been a problem for 1.2 litre turbo petrol Qashqais. The small turbo engines are being thrashed pulling the weight of these cars.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure