PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My sad green pepper is going into the mushroom risotto.
  • Rachiedabbler70
    Options
    Does anyone not meal plan? I don't sit down each week and write out what I'm having, I have tried and it just doesn't work for me. I do however batch cook so i have some quick meals to grab after work and check my cupboards before shopping planning meals based on what I have in
    I suppose it's still meal planning in a fashion!

Hi. I don't meal plan anymore but buy basic ingredients then make up a recipe with what I fancy that day. I meal planned when kids were small but no need now they're grown up. 😀
    Blitz that mortgage
    Jun 2016 £152,000
    April 2021 £85,000
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    purplevamp wrote: »
    That's the spirit :T:rotfl: Also well done on losing weight. I'm having a hard time losing any but can put it on just by looking at a cake. Although the KK donuts I bought today did NOT help :p

I can also put on weight just be looking at food. I am part of the lose weight the old style way thread and Saturday is my official weigh in today, so within the last week I have lost 4.5 Lbs so very pleased.

Had a voucher in the post from Lidl as there is one nearby offering £5 off a £30 shop, so used pretty much the last bit of the food shopping budget money to stock up, more veg and a bit of fruit to use up in the next week. Somehow forgot to buy Potatoes though.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There was food at the memorial today, so no dinner to prepare. We're just going to have crisps later when we watch a film.

Today I counted up 4 and a half heads of celery in the fridge :eek: I think they're multiplying by themselves. They're all still really crisp which is good. But how much celery can you eat without getting sick of it?!! :rotfl:
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £79.56 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have a sad lonely green pepper in the fridge ideas please :)

I use finely chopped green pepper (along with onions, onion seeds, fennel seeds and a little turmeric) as the base for a "jewelled" basmati rice.
    You gently fry the ingredients (minus the rice of course) in a pan, and keep to one side when cooked and slightly caramelised.
    Rinse 1.5 cups of basmati rice three times until the water runs clear.
    Then add three cups of tepid water.
    Boil in a non stick saucepan until the water is nearly absorbed and the rice has a little bit of bite to it - "al dente".
    Drain the rice, and using the same saucepan (which has been washed and is empty) add around 40g of butter.
    Combine the ingredients which you fried with the rice - which should gradually turn a yellow shade.
    Add the rice to the melted butter in the saucepan, cover and cook for 20 minutes on a medium heat (my hob goes to 14 and I use 10).
    When the timer goes, I put some cold water in the sink, and place the bottom of the saucepan in it - it should sizzle slightly. This is to let the rice release from the saucepan.
    The next bit can be a bit tricky.
    Place a dinner plate on top of the saucepan, and quickly turn the whole lot over.
    Gently remove the pan from the rice, which should hopefully have created a nice, caramelised cake which is nicely spiced.
    If done correctly the rice will be nice and fluffy, not at all sticky.:)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Made a thai chicken green curry for dinner last night but the portion size was huge, so today we are having the LO curry with a jacket potato. There is absolutely loads of veg in it and was really nice. It's definitely a recipe I'll be using again.

It's a one pot dinner too which means less washing up too! Used a few chicken thighs from the freezer instead of the chicken crown suggested in the recipe! No way was I going to buy a chicken crown when I'd got some thighs in the freezer!

Denise
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Andygb - that jewelled rice recipe sounds lovely. Will add it to my recipe notes, thank you.:)

Purple amp said:
    Today I counted up 4 and a half heads of celery in the fridge :eek: I think they're multiplying by themselves. They're all still really crisp which is good. But how much celery can you eat without getting sick of it?!! :rotfl:
    I make celery soup, it’s one of my favourite soups, love it’s fresh taste :)

Just pulled the last bit of chopped ham and a few chopped leftover mushrooms from last Sunday from the freezer and made chicken, ham and mushroom supreme (in white sauce, with a mashed potato topping for tea today. Would rather have made a pastry pie, but pastry is off the menu until we both shift a little more weight.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have sliced it up and put it in the freezer until I do a stew later on this month.
    Just reading Nella Last's Peace, and can remember how hard it was for my late Mum to manage on the food you could actually buy in the shops after WW2 finished .

OK so there was rationing but that made little difference if the stuff wasn't in the shops to ration anyway. I can remember the queueing at different places with my Mum to buy whatever was available. I remember my mum saying the rationing was far worse after the war than during it.

Its worth a read ,if only to realise how lucky we are today with the availability of food.

So many shops were closed when I was small just because there was nothing to sell in them :)

Cats and dogs survived on scraps that were left over and few of them unless they were inedible to humans .

I remember a particularly long queue that we stood in once just to get a tin of fruit I think we had stood there for around half an hour and it ran out just before we reached the top, but my Mum was offered some dried raisins instead which she happily took and made into a cake.

Everything seemed to be in short supply, and often there were power cuts as coal was also rationed .

We had a black kitchen range that permanently had a kettle on, and once lit was rarely out between October and spring.We burned everything we could and my brothers used to scavenge the local bomb sites for wood to burn.

In London especially, it was amazing how many tram sleepers would go missing during the night :)as often they were wooden and coated in some sort of tarry stuff :)

Nothing was ever wasted or discarded unless it was of no use at all

Even the ashes from the range were used in the garden to fertilise stuff. We were brought up to think that you used up as much as you could if at all possible,it wasn't recycling so much, as survival :)

My DDs say I have a recycling gene in me :) and they could be right

I made a pasta veggie bake yesterday with odds and ends from the cupboard and a few sad looking veg and got a couple of portions out of it to freeze, and as my pasta was running low I topped up with a tin of spaghetti hoops in tomato sauce I had in the cupboard that were y/s because they had a dent in the tin.
    It looked fine and I finished it off with a layer of cheesey potato from a couple of sprouty spuds boiled and mashed. So thats two instant ready made meals in my freezer that I made from just odds and ends I also added the stalks of the mushrooms sauteed in a little garlic oil before topping it with mashed spuds :).

I have a celery head in the fridge that I have wrapped in foil for next Saturdays soup pot.The foil will keep it fresh enough to make into soup next week.

This Saturdays one was my y/s leek and potato diced up veg that I rescued from the back of my freezer That too had been y/s for pennies and I made 2 litres of soup from it which will do me through the week for lunches and starters for my dinner in the evening.

I am out to dinner at my youngest DDs tonight as usual, so I am making her an apple crumble for pudding as I have some apples that are in need of using up.
    My rice pud that I made in the SC yesterday is lovely and will do for puddings this week Its in the fridge and nice and cold

Right time to get a wriggle on. Have a good day chums

JackieO xxx
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hev, what a great idea - laying out the items that need to be used & inventing a meal:T. Do you mind if I borrow the idea? I have some lo puff pastry & various bits of veg & soft cheese so I was thinking about a savoury flan.

LFHW

MrsSD:)

Hev,

My first attempt at this will be today. The food stuffs are laid out & the thinking cap is on:o

I will pop in later & let you know what I cooked & how successful or not it was!

Wish me luck:o

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Today for lunch I managed to use up a packet of gf couscous that I'd bought years ago when my little boy was tiny and kept getting an upset tummy. His nursery suggested cutting out dairy and then gluten to see if he had an allergy but it didn't help. He grew out of it so it was probably just him catching all the germs he'd not come into contact with yet. Anyhow, I got left with a few gf things we'd never used so today I fried up a load of diced up veg - leeks, cauliflower leaves and stalks, peppers, sweet corn and some halloumi and mixed it into the cooked couscous. We all liked it and there's a portion in the freezer for a future meal for the 5 year old.
    I still need to get a pot of soup on this afternoon to use up the wilty lettuce that's sitting in my fridge but I'm struggling to get myself motivated just now. Maybe after a cuppa...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback