The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......

Options

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2018 at 8:12AM
    Options
    Enjoy your fabric mooching Parsniphead :)

Thanks. It was a bit frustrating because due to the state of my house I couldn't find what I wanted.
    Fabric mooching sounds like fun! I am looking at some fleece to copy a jumper I love... Mostly sorted in my head how to do it but copying the collar will take some doing. Won't promise it will keep me out of mischief but I may moan a little. :D However: nothing ventured, nothing gained, and while I prevaricate over it you will have made something nice and actually be wearing it. :) What do you have in mind?

Try finding a tutorial on YouTube on collars. Its bound to be out there.

I was going to make a skirt with the most garish fabric ever seen but couldn't find it. I hate this messy house.

SELF SABOTAGE

Its been in my head since i read DIA's post yesterday. She is so close :T but its such a strange place to be. Three years ago i was within hundreds of being debt free, took my eye off the ball and got into debt again.:eek: I've always put it down to complete disorganisation with my money but I have also wondered if it was self sabotage.

I'm so desperate to be debt free and live in a nice house but don't seem to be able to reach my goals. I know the money thing will take time but I have no excuse with the house. I need to tidy up and get rid of stuff. Perhaps once it is tidy then the thought of dealing with the refurb and the finances which it will incur is what is stopping me from doing what needs to be done.

Do I need a plan? Probably. Am I scared of making plans? Yes, because when I do things go wrong. Am I an idiot? Yes.

Take the washing as an example. I'm not too bad at keeping up with it but the other day I couldn't find loads of it. I could have put it away when done but I didn't so it got lost. I've found some of it but stuff is still missing. So the problems was a) not putting it away and b) having so much carp it got lost.

The plan NEEDS to be to get rid of stuff and pare down as much as is possible. I MUST NOT let the house get any worse. I must make time to get things done and within a specific time frame. I NEED to take the boot full of stuff to the charity shop. I cannot get anymore stuff in my car.:(

This stuff does scare me. Every week I pass a hoarders house and I don't want for me to become like that. Its a scary sight, not only seeing the stuff up the windows, filling the front garden but also the four big box vans parked outside full of stuff too.

Debt is so damaging. It causes so much hurt and pain. It takes away opportunity and adventure. It takes away a decent life. The only way past it is learning from it. Using the anger as a weapon against it and kill it forever.

It just a few thoughts prompted by another's comments.

So before work I'm going to wash up and put it all away. I'm also going to take the washing off the stairs and put it in the bedrooms as a minimum. I will try to put it away too, if not tonight it will be done.

I must get on. Have a fantastic day and be happy.:) x
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Found some helpful YouTube stuff thanks!

Self sabotage... subtle and difficult but my friend who's a counsellor reckons it can be done. I'm another who self sabotaged :(

Hope your day feels productive! The garish skirt material will emerge eventually. Perhaps there's an alternative in the meantime?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    I think you're being too hard on yourself Parsnip. It's good to have a plan - it can be a good servant but a bad master. Things change around us constantly, sometimes as a result of decisions we make and sometimes because life throws stuff at us. Review your plan regularly and, if it's not working for you or things have changed, review and adapt the plan and until it's workable again.

Any step forward brings you closer to achieving your goals. It's still a step forward if it's only part of what you'd originally planned. I felt so overwhelmed when we were considering moving but moved the mountain by carrying away small stones. I won't say it was easy all the time but it was easier.

Are you sure you are being realistic about what you can achieve in one day? - I am having to review my plans as I'm not getting through my To Do List for the day and finding that frustrating. I think I'm just expecting too much out of the 24 hours available :rotfl:

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I agree with fortune you're definitely being too hard on yourself maybe you should start being kinder to yourself as you're defo not a idiot xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Debt is so damaging. It causes so much hurt and pain. It takes away opportunity and adventure. It takes away a decent life. The only way past it is learning from it. Using the anger as a weapon against it and kill it forever.
    I agree with the other posters you are being hard on yourself. I know because I do it too. It doesn't feel good and ultimately it doesn't really work. So I have beaten myself up for months about the state of my front and back gardens because I felt I SHOULD be able to do them myself, but I haven't, just been beating myself up instead. :( It took someone else to suggest a different approach. You can rethink this. Do it differently. Be kinder to yourself. You are an inspiring, creative, sensitive person and a lovely mum. You are. :)

I love what you say about debt. It is so sad and so true. But we are all here fighting the good fight and that is something ;)

Have a lovely day Parsniphead :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • parsniphead
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely comments. You're all so nice and kind. I do need to make some kind of plan but just small daily ones to start with.

I managed to wash up and put things away. I then cleared the stairs of washing AND put it away. :j I will sort out the stuff on the radiators after work. Oh and get the stuff put away D'S has taken from his draws and stuffed into bags and boxes. I would leave it but it takes too much time to track things down.:rotfl:

I also managed to put washing in the machine ready to switch on when I get home.

Must dash and get back to work.

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    What you say about debt is so true, debt steals so many sweet opportunities and gives worry and stress in exchange :o.

But we all self sabotage to some degree, I think it's human nature.

You need to chunk it down Parsnip, don't try and do too much at once with debt or clutter, or you get demoralised and set yourself up to fail. Slow and steady wins the race.

Make a list of just one, two, or three things a day (depending upon the size of the task) and do those. Keep it achievable in the time you have.

Give yourself small de-cluttering goals, one drawer or one shelf or one cupboard. That way you can get a sense of progress and achievement.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Give yourself small de-cluttering goals, one drawer or one shelf or one cupboard. That way you can get a sense of progress and achievement.

Wise words, Hairy. I think I need to hear that too. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wise words, Hairy. I think I need to hear that too. :)

I can second that! Does anyone know where I can contact the 'housecleaning fairies' ???? :rotfl:
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • parsniphead
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. They are very appreciated.

A strange weekend here because of a huge meltdown from me and the mother of all rows with my husband. Sometimes things give and this was a weekend for that. Things are a bit better now but its made me realise I need to get life sorted.

Anyway today is my day off and I have shopping first thing then the day to do what I want. I may be totally selfish and spend it on myself doing exactly what I want. It won't be sitting reading in the park though as the rain is horrendous.

I've been looking at finances in the past few days because I had lost track of where I was or what I owed. I feel a bit better knowing where I stand, if not annoyed with it all.

Anyway time to take DS to school in the rain.

Have a good day all

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure