PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2018 at 9:01AM
    Options
    Use them to make a tea loaf. :)

We don't like tea loaf, otherwise I would :)

I have just watered the milk down a bit to make it stretch out to last the day :) Also, sliced of the teeniest bit of mould from a crumpet, which I am now enjoying with a cuppa (the crumpet that is, not the mould!)
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How on earth do you dip a Ryvita in a cup of tea? Surely, they are too wide. :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:break them in half ???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I am seriously longing for ginger nut right this minute but I am going to be strong and resist the temptation:(

any suggestions on a postcard would be welcome for what I can eat instead :):):)
    JackieO xx
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have PM'd atb ;)

JackieO imho you might as well eat the postcard as eat Ryvita! :rotfl:
    Reminds me of little Sidny, a miniature Schauzer who used to stay with me (gone to Rainbow Bridge now, sadly); he was diabetic and on a very bland prescription diet, which I always thought must be about as inspiring as eating Ryvita for dins every day.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I am seriously longing for ginger nut right this minute but I am going to be strong and resist the temptation:( any suggestions on a postcard would be welcome for what I can eat instead :):):) JackieO xx

You're a better (wo)man than I am, Gunga Din! Ginger nuts are a thing of beauty so I doubt there is a substitute. Sorry. :(
    LameWolf wrote: »
    JackieO imho you might as well eat the postcard as eat Ryvita! :rotfl:

I'm with you on this one! Horrible things. I think the last packet we ever had (many, many moons ago) were used up as "dunkers" in soup and they've never darkened our doorstep since. :rotfl:

Had a tidy up of the fridge this morning and "found" an unopened pack of 6 tomatoes. Three of them are turning squishy (tbf, they have been there a while - my fault for taking my eye off the ball :( ) but they won't be wasted. I had one of the good ones at lunchtime in a cheese sandwich and the other two have been put on one side for a salad tomorrow. I'd planned a pasta meal for Thursday using a tomato & veg sauce from the freezer so I'll bring that forward to Tuesday and chuck the 3 squishy ones in the sauce.

There's a few other bits to use up, so tomorrow I'll make a veg & cheese bake with a courgette, a couple of carrots, 3 mushrooms, half an onion and some grated cheese. There's also half an apple (used the other half in last night's fakeaway curry) that I'll grate up to stir into plain yogurt along with some wheat flakes and that will do for pudding tonight. And I'll use the rest of the yogurt to make soda bread.

Not sure yet about this week's soup although I'm leaning towards spicy carrot & red lentil as I have all the ingredients in stock plus it will be most welcome later in the week when the weather turns colder (again :( ).

The only shopping I'll need this week is milk and a packet of dried peas; if I stick to that I should have about £40 left from this month's grocery budget to sweep into the holiday fund. Happy days. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Used up a slightly limp cabbage, frozen LO pineapple, bits of freezer veg, a slightly past its best pepper, a couple of frozen carrots & store cupboard stuff to make a veggie stir fry for lunches this week.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:break them in half ???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I am seriously longing for ginger nut right this minute but I am going to be strong and resist the temptation:(

any suggestions on a postcard would be welcome for what I can eat instead :):):)
    JackieO xx

Is it the ginger you miss or the biscuit?

I am sure there are oatcakes with ginger in them, would that be cheating?

Or a ginger and lemon tea, one of my favourites with a spoon of honey in it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    a crisp ginger nut dipped in my morning cuppa is as YL said a thing of beauty and the perfect accompaniment to my first cup of tea of the day When I was touring in the U.S.A. for three weeks with my friend about 10 years ago we even took three packets with us and on the last day of our holiday we had the last three between us.A little touch of home :):).I have given up all biscuits until Easter and didn't realise how much I'd miss them:) I have tried flavoured tea but I'm not keen my tea must be a good strong cuppa in the morning to kick start my day then as the day progresses the shade gets a bit lighter :) Twinings or Yorkshire Gold are my go-to teas. Can't compromise on tea or washing up liquid or decent ground coffee,happy to use own brands of anything else though :):):)
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know what you mean about tea and coffee JackieO - somethings are worth paying a little extra for.

Thanks to klbooth, thirzah and spidersinthebath for the suggestions on using up turnips

I would never have thought of eating raw turnip and was amazed at how nice it tastes! I cut a few thing slices as part of a salad and couldn't believe how sweet it tasted, almost like an apple. Used the rest of it up in a butternut squash and turnip curry which worked very well.

Spiders how did you know I've been craving cornish pasties?
    weaving through the chaos...
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one! Horrible things. I think the last packet we ever had (many, many moons ago) were used up as "dunkers" in soup and they've never darkened our doorstep since. :rotfl:

There's a few other bits to use up, so tomorrow I'll make a veg & cheese bake with a courgette, a couple of carrots, 3 mushrooms, half an onion and some grated cheese. There's also half an apple (used the other half in last night's fakeaway curry) that I'll grate up to stir into plain yogurt along with some wheat flakes and that will do for pudding tonight. And I'll use the rest of the yogurt to make soda bread.

I quite like ryvita :o

Thanks for the idea of a veg and cheese bake - i have some carrots, celery, peppers and courgettes that need using.

We have a strange week this week where we are kind of all here, there and everywhere. OH is in Wales for two days after being at his mum's tonight; and DD and i are in London for a couple of days but coming home at different times.

So, it's a good excuse to use up freezer stocks - today's 'meat free Monday' is carrot and lentil soup for lunch and then sweet potato mac and cheese for DD and lentil shepherd's pie for me. The soup was made with chicken stock, but I'm ignoring that :o

The only shopping I need until Thursday is milk, eggs, greek yogurt and bananas :T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I quite like ryvita :o

Thanks for the idea of a veg and cheese bake - i have some carrots, celery, peppers and courgettes that need using.

Don't worry about liking Ryvita - after all, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same, would it? :D

I love the veg & cheese bake for using up all those odds and ends and find it freezes well too. I add some beaten egg to mine to bind everything together. I'll be doing a batch on Wed as I'll have the oven on then so might as well use up the free space and save money on fuel. :)

The breadmaker was pressed into service first thing this morning and then I cooked a pan of spuds. Used a couple to make potato salad for tonight and will use the rest up sliced and lightly fried in butter to go with Wed's breaded cod loin and garden peas.

I've also made a tub of pasta salad to use up some orzo pasta with sun-dried tomato pesto stirred through. It was a new jar of pesto (bought ys) and, once opened, it will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. As I doubt I'd use it up within that time, I've frozen the rest of it in an ice cube tray.

Next up was a big pan of spicy carrot & red lentil soup, enough for 4 portions. Cheap as chips, tasty and filling - what's not to like?

Jackie - I'm now visualising you marking off the days on a calendar, counting down to how long you have to go before you can have a ginger nut! :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure