PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 February 2018 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Jackieblack, I guffawed when I read this:rotfl: Good job I was sitting down or I would have fallen over:T Seriously funny:rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Thanks JackieO - it was one of my items on the New Year, New Plans, New Hopes thread (which I believe you started:T) - be more inventive in my cooking. If I can ‘invent’ one dish a month I will count that as a success - so far I am on track 2/2!

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am sitting here seething, I've had to throw away almost a kilo of minced beef. Brought a few weeks ago and portioned up in the freezer only to find a piece of blue plastic in one lot. Looks like a blue glove or plaster yuck!:eek:

I've got a refund plus some extra but it is such a waste and I wouldn't risk using the other packets,

Not for the first time I really wish I had a butcher that I could get to :(

On the good side my new fridge actually keeps things cold :) I have lettuce that has a sell by date of 10th Feb whereas before I could only keep it a day or two once opened.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Does anyone know if almond milk freezes? I've a friend coming round who is lacto-intolerant and she likes almond milk in her coffee. I've looked in the supermarket and it only seems to be available in quite large cartons so it looks as if there will be some left after her visit.

Hi, might be a bit late to answer your question from a few days ago. I have just looked at the cartons in the fridge / cupboard and it says do not freeze. This is on both unsweetened and sweetened almond milk.

However, the choc soya milk carton (I know! but it is a treat) does not say this so maybe soya milk is OK to freeze instead.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I spotted that on the carton too but have managed to use up most of the milk in overnight oats. It says to use within five days of opening. I did try it in my coffee but didn't like it-I bought the unsweetened roasted almond milk but might try a different one next time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I spotted that on the carton too but have managed to use up most of the milk in overnight oats. It says to use within five days of opening. I did try it in my coffee but didn't like it-I bought the unsweetened roasted almond milk but might try a different one next time.

In case it helps:

I prefer the unsweetened to the sweetened version. The sweetened has a stronger taste and seems sticky somehow (but without actually being sticky).

Whilst I like soya choc milk, I did not like the plain one at all.

Coconut milk (the watery kind in the carton) is nice, but it can separate out and having floaty bits in your tea is not nice. Even if you shake the carton it is still got bits in it.

However, all three of those above are great for cooking. I make bread with them, white sauces etc. which can be a good way of using things up.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for that.I was reluctant to try soya milk as somebody told me that it is an aquired taste and I knew my friend did like almond milk.Bits of coconut floating in tea would be rather odd. One of my DDs said that she has had hot chocolate made with coconut milk and she liked it.

Do you know if the coconut milk that you buy in cartons the same as the tinned stuff that is used in a lot of Asian recipes?
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That'll have made some room! :rotfl:

(You must have a massive freezer... there's no way I could fit my brother in mine :D )

:rotfl:

Only just seen this..... Must read over my posts... :D

The ever promised lentil bake still hasn't happened. No lentils....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi all,
    It was all very well being inventive last night but I could have just got my DH to make pancakes:) Oh well, missed out again! We seem to forget pancakes six years out of seven:(

Tonight, I was going to be lazy & make cheesey beans on toast but fortunately I decided to stick to the menu plan - pork chops, leek & potato mash (used all my potatoes, last leek & last of the buttermilk) + roasted vegetables (last of the carrots & parsnips) - much, much tastier than cheesey beans.

Unfortunately the houmous my DH bought & forgot was in the fridge has had to be binned as it is green:eek:

Finally made the peperonata & will make the lasagne tomorrow - will freeze a double portion of each.

By the way, has anyone got a good recipe for a green lentils soup or a pearl barley soup? My DH has bought a bag of each & I think he is waiting:o

LFHW

MrsSD

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you for that.I was reluctant to try soya milk as somebody told me that it is an aquired taste and I knew my friend did like almond milk.Bits of coconut floating in tea would be rather odd. One of my DDs said that she has had hot chocolate made with coconut milk and she liked it.

Do you know if the coconut milk that you buy in cartons the same as the tinned stuff that is used in a lot of Asian recipes?

The coconut milk is really nice. I just cannot get it to work with tea.

It is a lot thinner than 'Asian style' coconut milk. I have oats for breakfast made with water. I use desiccated coconut as well and when I add the water it make the oats 'milky' due to the coconut. The coconut milk is more like this.

The other coconut milk (used in Asian recipes) is much thicker with a higher fat content (180 cal per 100ml as opposed to 20 cal per 100ml). It is more like coconut cream (which I sometimes buy).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback