MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com turns energy market upside down

Options

Comments

• GetRealBabe
    GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

No savings for me.:( (Am on npower's Go Fix 11, dual fuel)
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

No savings for me.:( (Am on npower's Go Fix 11, dual fuel)

This isn't designed to be a one off comparison site - there's already plenty of those available.

This is supposed to be an ongoing monitoring system that will advise you should a lower (as per your desired level) supplier/tariff ever become available. :)
  • GooliesOfFire
    Options
    Looks like there is no cheaper tariff than the one I'm on now. Good to know :)
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    With suppliers changing prices a lot I can see it giving out a lot of false change nows, as suppliers dont all update at the same time. Also whos the independant verifications done by if any.

If the site can give £30, what kickback is it getting?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    ...If the site can give £30, what kickback is it getting?

You can get a good idea of the commission some suppliers pay by looking at cashback sites such as topcashback that claims to offer 100% (or even 101%) cashback ... but is that even really all the money they receive. If so, how on earth do they survive?

Anyway, what does it matter?

£30 cashback is £30 more than if you go direct. :beer:
  • hazel9428
    Options
    Doesn't work for me... :(

Tells me I can save £1916 with nPower on my annual British Gas dual-fuel bill of £1800! - also doesn't have BG's Fix and Fall tarifs stored for selection... :(
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mmmmm, I think I see why moneysupermarket.com bought the site. No doubt this will be the first of many ways MSE users will be channelled into moneysupermarket.

I guess it was to be expected - no idea if its a good or bad service but is what I thought would start to happen.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £116 pa savings for me---with Spark! Oh dear!
    Back to the drawing board, MSE...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • campingwithkids
    Options
    Just joined the energy club and it found me an annual saving of £47....did 3 price comparison sites yesterday (uswitch, compare the market and moneysuper market) and they thew out savings of £249!! With Co-op and Swalec and First Utilities as my best options. This new club that promised to find me the best deal only stumped up a 47 quid saving and had me staying with the extortionate British Gas! What's up with that!!
  • campingwithkids
    Options
    Just joined the energy club and it found me an annual saving of £47....did 3 price comparison sites yesterday (uswitch, compare the market and moneysuper market) and they thew out savings of £249!! With Co-op and Swalec and First Utilities as my best options. This new club that promised to find me the best deal only stumped up a 47 quid saving and had me staying with the extortionate British Gas! What's up with that!! thumbs down MSE!!:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure