❄❄ Let It Snow ❄❄ :: Christmas 2012 Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Gleek
    Gleek Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 30 April 2012 at 10:50AM
    Options
    :rotfl: and my sister in law thought I was early giving them their Christmas presents when we visited at the start of October last year :rotfl:

She's a lot to learn ;)

PS: I may also have my outfit for both Christmas Day & Panto Day pre-bought (I say pre-bought. It's a SHINY top from the sale last month (£5. Was £39 new!! Definitely not worth that!) bought initially for Christmas Day, however a naughty window shopping 'accident' on eBay found me a £5 inc postage BNWT top that I love even more that yes... is also shiny :o for Christmas Day, so saving t'other for Panto Day and then will wash it and wear it again Boxing Day at the annual visit Brothers-In-Laws-Day! XD )

I LOVE all you other organised and Christmas mad people, welcome :D :xmastree:
    have just edited this into the first post too :D

event.png
    Princess Sparklepants
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please may I join? I love Christmas (and incidentally snow too) but I just can't follow all the other posts and whilst i might think of doing something crafty i never succeed!

However, for us, this year is different because i'm nearly 10 weeks pregnant and my baby is due on 29th November!
    We have spent 5 years TTC and 10 early miscarriages as well as being told our only hope of success being IVF - we got to see a heartbeat at an early scan at 7 weeks so are beginning to accept things are real now - just waiting for that all important 12 week scan to really relax.

But our first Christmas as a proper family is a dream come true!

We will be spending it with the inlaws though i'm not sure whether its going to be eating in or out (hubby and i hoping out) and as im sure we will be exhausted with a new baby i really hope to get organised early this year.

We have decided that a few people we are simply going to give them a picture of the new baby and thats all to cut back on costs but things will be incredibly tight for us as we are also in an IVA.

We are going to need a new tree this year as well.

This will be the best Christmas regardless but id like to plan in advance for some extra special things too.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • susan42
    susan42 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Options
    :j:j:jHow exciting chirpychick, I hope you stay on the board and keep us updated, congratulations by the way

I`m that excited went to Art class today and have been banned from using the "C" word. No-one wants to talk about xmas. Told them they must all be rich....as I need to spread costs and plan

I have to slow down abit otherwise my blog will be all Christmas and no variation :rotfl::rotfl:

I just blogged my

christmas survival guide,

inspired by all the miseries in Art class, Im going to make them all one to wind them up nearer the time:D

Its great to chat

CHRISTMAS < CHRISTMAS< CHRISTMAS

Thanks Gleek for starting us off x
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 April 2012 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Thanks Susan - I am getting excited but crossing my fingers too!

It's all Gleek's fault though, I just brought hubby a Marvel T shirt & an Animal T shirt from A$da (£7 each) he is a 3xl so they don't normally have them in stock for long and i got a surprise cheque in the post today so I thought s0d it and they can go in his Christmas "box".

He does love those t shirts from A$da and they seem to wash well and last a long time.

I must plan for the rest of the family.

I have
    Hubby (got £33.05 left to spend we set a max budget of £50)
    Bubba (just going to get a couple of bits for the stocking budget £20)
    Nan1 : No clue (budget £5)
    Grandad1: Would like to get cardigan but budget is £5
    Dad & wife: No clue (budget £10)
    Mum & bf : " "
    MIL & FIL: ditto but budget of £20
    Niece age 13: no clue £5 budget
    Nephew age 9: no clue £5 budget - maybe something chelsea related
    Goddaughter age 5: no clue £5 budget

BIL & SIL: Photo of baby
    Grandparents 2: Photo of baby

Everyone knows how tight money is and how much more tight it will be after a baby so hence very small budgets. If anyone has any suggestions at all feel free to share, im notoriously bad at gifts!

p.s love the christmas survival kits!
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Gleek
    First Post
    edited 30 April 2012 at 5:51PM
    Options
    :rotfl: I'm more than happy to take the blame, the earlier you start, the more you get for less! (Or the more you spend by getting distracted :o not quite so money saving that though ;))

Congratulations ChirpyChick and Mr C too! Sooooo happy for you both :D

Susan, those survival kits are a great idea - especially for those not as organised as us ;)
    Princess Sparklepants
  • Gleek
    First Post
    Options
    A picture only special people get to see :o

9rlttt.jpg

The books need moving away, but yes. That is a picture from my bedroom 5 mins ago with the Christmas tree up :o

It's not decorated or anything, it's just together and all scrunched up in the corner behind a load of stuff because things have been so crazy that it just never got put away once the decorations were taken off and with everything that's gone on I haven't had time to put it away, so now it's a feature :rotfl:

The bottom right hand corner with all the fleece blankets over it are the decorations :rotfl: They're not all Christmas presents though, my brothers birthday present (the blue one) and his nieces birthday presents (the spotty one and jelly bean one in the gift bag) and my grandad's birthday present (jelly bean one with the red bow) are there too. The only problem is that their birthdays are 18th December, 4th November and 21st October respectively :rotfl:

The reason they're all wrapped is because I have no storage whatsoever and being wrapped keeps nosey people out of the way - as well as being a real timesaver too!
    Princess Sparklepants
  • susan42
    Options
    Gleek thats ace, I`m lucky my OH says if you organise the presents ( the fun bit) he`ll wrap them :rotfl:It takes him 3 days, I do get carried away

I do a Vistaprint order ever couple of weeks, get the free tshirts, hats , pens, keyrings, bags , mugs, notebooks. Just pay the postage.
    As it uses paypal, I list items for 99p on ebay on free listing day, when they sell use that to pay postage.

Determined to be money neutral. ;)

Chirpy - those budgets are good really, could get a lot with those getting the grabbits now and the VP items. Everything personalised as well. Even popping into Boots and superdrug and keeping an eye on the clearance sections.
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Okay so this thread has already caused some confusion which prompted me to merge it, then revisit, so I've reinstated in it's own right again however it is confusing for others and newbies as there's bits of other similar threads entwined in it as such. So maybe Gleek you could make your first post a bit clearer at the start that it is just Christmas 'musings' or something, and that Christmas Crafts, Thrifty Savers and Organisation threads are elsewhere? :undecided
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • susan42
    Options
    hi savvy. I see your point . it is confusing but at the same time it's different. I'm a member of all of them and they are for different things.

organising thread- it challenges like cleaning different parts of your home. making a bit extra pounds
    moneymaking - is all the ways to make money
    crafts - are making things
    and this one for making excitement that Xmas is coming and whipping up excitement.

so each ones different and that's why I'm on all of them :-)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lol don't worry I hear you, but the issue was raised, and I agree it could be confusing trying to easily identify where one should go. To get around anymore potential blunders I think if Glee could just add 'for Christmas excitement' in the first line or whatever, it may help ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure