I'm having a DFW baby!!

Options

Comments

• Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely comments and suggestions, I will definitely keep you posted! I really want to breast feed as long as possible, as I can't bear the thought of paying for something I can make myself for free lol. Plus, apart from the slight soreness, I really loved feeding my first one myself. I might make a doctors appointment, although I'm not sure if I would pay more for the prescription than I would spend on the folic acid if I just bought it from Wilkos etc. Will pop in tomorrow and have a look how much it is. I don't think I will qualify for the grant, but hey, at least statutory maternity pay has gone up quite a bit since last time I had it!
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Why take folic acid at all?
    Tinkering with nature isn't smart :-\
  • Snaggles
    Options
    I HAVE wondered about that to be honest amosworks - maybe it's because we've already tinkered with nature too much and don't get enough of it in our day to day diet? It's just one of those accepted things I think, that if you are having a baby it's wise to take folic acid to help guard against brain and spinal cord defects. I'll have a search around on the internet and do a bit of research I think.
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    i wouldnt bother spending on pregnancy tests myself, if your period doesnt start nip to your gp, problem solved.

for stuff you may not have been able to store like cot etc try ebay, it shouldnt cost too much to replace the mattress of a second hand cot and would work out cheaper.

also tesco an boots do a pregnancy club (iirc) so you get cheap/free stuff once yoru pregnant.

oooh meant to say good luck with it!!!
  • Blinko_2
    Blinko_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    NCT nearly new sales are a great way of picking up loads
    of cheap baby things (or even better to sell !!!)).
    Their website has a search engine
    to find a local event.
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget to check freecycle for things like old pregnancy testing kits! :p :rolleyes:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Another DFW baby thing is re-useable nappies....they save on the cost of disposables & on landfill too....I used them for my DS's (now18 & 20) before they were fashionable again....flushable liners, bucket (with lid!) of yesterday's bottle sterilising solution, a box of Fairy washing powder & a sunny washing line, and they were lovely & white. I had 36 Zorbit ones, which did both of them, and I've still got the nappy pins!

Good luck, hope any trouble is a little one, and look after yourself :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Firefly
    Firefly Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amosworks wrote:
    Why take folic acid at all?
    Tinkering with nature isn't smart :-\

Folic acid is a cheap (relatively) and sensible precaution and I would advise anyone who is considering a baby to take it for a while beforehand.

There is plenty of reliable evidence to sing it's praises.
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    There's pleanty of "reliable" evidence about the apparent benefits of Flouride too, but it's still more poisonous than arsinic and lead. Europeans don't tinker with their water supply and their teeth are better than ours!

When it comes to what's best, I NEVER believe what the government tells me, just what nature and common sense tells me.
  • Snaggles
    Options
    Hello again!

No progress so far on the baby thing(!) but have been working hard at being a good DFW. Although I feel as bit as though I'm being thwarted at every turn at the moment. Two days ago my boiler pilot light went out and despite our best attempts to light it, we have had no hot water since. Luckily we have a shower that is powered by electricity, and obviously the washing machine can heat its own water, so we can cope, but boiling four kettles full of water to wash up is a pain. Someone is coming to look at the boiler this afternoon, so it will hopefully be sorted out, but I dread to think how much it's going to cost. I've been doing a bit of Googling (is that a word?) and it could possibly be a problem with the thermocouple (which would be cheap enough to fix), or it could just be that it's ancient and in need of replacing (in which case I will be on here crying later lol!).

Oh, and the bit that attatched the shower head to the wall broke today too, so will have to go out looking for a cheap replacement this afternoon - hopefully Wilkinsons will have something that will do.

On the plus side, I have already managed to complete some of my goals for this week - I've sorted through all my filing, put everything away neatly and caught up with the various letters I needed to write. I've also been sticking to my healthy eating(ish), low alcohol consumption plan (have had a glass of wine, a shandy and a Pimms and lemonade so far this week), and played squash last night (drew with OH 2-2, first time I've ever taken more than one game off him, HURRAY!!). And we managed to keep our weekly shop under £30 this week (£27.45).

I've also managed to persuade OH to put up the shelves we bought about 3 months ago in the kitchen (well the dining area bit of the kitchen), so I have somewhere to put my cookbooks, so I will have no more excuses for not making proper meals (usual excuse is that I can't get to any recipe books as they were buried in the bottom of a cupboard). The shelves were an amazing bargain, lovely chunky wood and a perfect match for the table and chairs - they cost £1 each as they were the end of a line and the shop only had 2 left (we only needed 2 luckily).

So generally feeling fairly positive, although have had some bad news about the health of a close family member, which has been really upsetting. Normally I would let this be an excuse to spend money and eat unhealthily to cheer myself up, but am starting to realise this doesn't work, so I'm fighting the urge. I'm not working today so I'm going to take some photos of things I'm wanting to sell on eBay, and try and keep myself busy. Then I'm off to take DS to the park so he can practice riding his bike (we've just taken his stabilisers off, and he can ride fairly steadily without them - he's sooooo proud!).

Bye for now, Love Snaggles xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills