Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leear wrote: »
    . . .
    Having done the sums, and checked the rates per kW, . . .
    Comparison sites have become so unreliable lately (including CEC) that your approach is the only safe way to do it, in my view.

The trouble is that it makes a comprehensive check such a long-winded process that few will attempt it.

The CMA recommended removing many of the restrictions formerly imposed by Ofgem so that comparison sites are virtually useless now. Just what the CMA always wanted, methinks.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • JPBOLDY1976
    Options
    Been with Avro Energy 11 months current contract up 2nd February, I am over £100 in credit, I've asked for £100 back however excuse after excuse getting me to first wait 7 days, then 10 days now 15 days.

Yesterday they have only agreed to send £50.00 which they only issue refunds on a Friday and can take a further 10 days.

I now have to take further action against Avro Energy, either my sending someone to get my money or issue a CCJ .

Please read their social media feeds on Facebook and Twitter people after 3 months still waiting for their credit back.
  • vale46_2
    vale46_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi im coming to a end of my Avro simple and control tarif
    and they have offered me the Simple Energy Variable Tariff.
    got to try and compare these two doing a quick look
    Avro is still the cheapest for me and it seems they offer a
    tariff without a standing charge that seems an even cheaper tariff
    im about £150 in credit with the winter bills to come yet

i pay £80 a month for dual fuel.
    Avro not had no problems with them at all
    i missed my Dec upload of my readings that came 24th Dec
    just forgot to upload it in time gave me 5 days to upload my readings
    My Dec estimated gas reading is like 3x what it actually is.

i always struggle doing comparison sites etc thats just me my condition and meds i take im so tired and fatigued 24/7 make doing comparisons for a few days so much hard work.
    im in the energy saving club here. ill do some comparissions with that
    Thanks Chris
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Been with Avro Energy 11 months current contract up 2nd February, I am over £100 in credit, I've asked for £100 back however excuse after excuse getting me to first wait 7 days, then 10 days now 15 days.

Yesterday they have only agreed to send £50.00 which they only issue refunds on a Friday and can take a further 10 days.

I now have to take further action against Avro Energy, either my sending someone to get my money or issue a CCJ. . .
    If your contract ends on 2 Feb you are within the 49-day switching window and so can switch to another supplier without paying any exit fees. Why not just switch then your credit balance will be refunded in full?

With Jan and Feb bills still to come, however, your credit balance is likely to be somewhat less than it is at the moment.

Frankly, I think you were lucky to have got them to agree the £50 refund at this time of year..
  • Dr.Evil
    Options
    DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.
    After 6 months with them I was in credit by nearly £500 which would be enough to cover the next 10 months. Upon asking to review my dd they reduced it to £102 from £124. I said to them I have enough credit for 10 months so why so high and they said that it was correct. I cancelled dd and they threatened me with fines. They do not answer the telephone and it takes weeks for a reply via email.
    The bills are often estimates, over inflated, even though I always give a meter reading each month.
    There has been dozens of complaints that I know of where they are holding back customers money and ignoring people.
    Their customer service is terrible once they have you on their books. I suspect they will likely go bust.
    FB seems to be the only way to contact them.

AVOID.
  • Dr.Evil
    Options
    There is no tie in fee for leaving AVRO, so you can leave at any stage.
    It is Avro's policy not to give a refund for leavers unless the customer contacts Avro and requests a refund after they have received their final bill.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Avro's latest "Simple and Winterfix Seasonal" tariff is what they quote online for new or existing customers. But if you take the trouble to phone them and sit on hold for 20 minutes, they will offer "Simple and Winterfix" without the seasonal adjustment to the DD, to existing customers who are renewing. IME though, don't try phoning on a Wednesday as they just switch their phone system into closed office mode, with no announcement on the phone, just a message on their website Contact Us page. Two weeks ago it was closed for "staff training", this week it was for "planned maintenance".

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    If you do go back to Avro, make sure your DD amount reflects your annual usage. I have been trying for over a month to get them to reduce my DD (only by about 10%, and my account is in credit), as I have calculated I am paying a bit too much to be close to a zero balance at the end of my contract. After many excuses, my account is currently with their "finance team awaiting review". So customer services have effectively washed their hands of it and the finance team cannot be contacted directly. I sense a formal complaint coming.
    At least because I couldn't initially get through by phone, everything has been discussed by email, so I have a record of what was said.
    It took them a week to reply to the first email, but since then responses have been within a working day. Always polite and apologetic, but nowhere near a solution and it wouldn't surprise me if the finance team manage to conclude the DD must be increased!
    I was in same boat, over two months in credit.
    - I emailed on 16th Dec asking for approx 8% DD reduction, and was told awaiting finance dept decision.
    - emailed again on 4th Jan as another DD had been paid and asked for 10% DD reduction, and was told awaiting finance dept decision.
    - On 16th Jan Avro reduced my DD by 4% following review.

I'm happy enough with that service, not blisteringly fast, but not too bad.
  • Consumerist
    edited 18 January 2019 at 2:33PM
    Options
    Dr.Evil wrote: »
    . . . It is Avro's policy not to give a refund for leavers unless the customer contacts Avro and requests a refund after they have received their final bill.
    From spring, all energy suppliers will have to refund credit balances within 10 working days of the final bill or issue automatic compensation if they fail to refund on time.

It's going to be interesting to see how that will actually work out in practice. Delaying the issue of final bills is already an issue with most suppliers but it won't be till summer that they have to issue them within 6 weeks or automatically pay compensation.
  • Not_Radio2
    Options
    I left Avro in November. No sign yet of my final bill or my credit refund. I've emailed them about it and had the reply back that the relevant department are dealing with it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback