No more excuses - It is time to get serious

Options

Comments

• laurag89
    laurag89 Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the positive side you are still young and have realised your mistake. You have a house and are saving for a wedding. Yes the debt consolidation on to the loan was not good and building up a credit card afterwards but if you failed to address it when you did your debt would be much higher. You are doing the right things now.

Also, stop smoking if you have not already. It affects both your finances and your health and particularly if you want children at some point.

Your absolutely right I should look at the good things I've achieved.

Adding to credit cards after debt consolidation was silly but will never do that again.

I haven't stopped smoking but i really want to I dont know why I lack the will power so badly.
    Total debt to pay: £14,071.41/ Remaining debt: £12,884.12: Amount Paid: £1,187.29

Survey xmas 2018 savings: £10 / £150
  • laurag89
    Options
    I can confirm that the Lloyds card now stands at £3186.70 after my payments and the minimum payment! On payday I will be paying £190 to it to bring it under the £3000 Mark.

Thank you enthusiasticsaver for planting the seed in my mind again to stop smoking, today i have a patch On and i am going to quit! I am going to get back into the gym and focus on my health and fitness instead of focusing on smoking and negative thoughts :)
    Total debt to pay: £14,071.41/ Remaining debt: £12,884.12: Amount Paid: £1,187.29

• Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Laura, just checking in. Good to see it's going well. Getting that Lloyds card under the £3k mark will be a good achievement!

100% agree with Enthusiasticsaver on the smoking. Even putting health to one side, the cost is horrendous. I still never forget a few years ago (I was a teenager at the time) when my Mum saw a new car in a show room that she wanted (not a particularly cheap one either) and my Dad worked out that the monthly payments on the new car was less than she was paying every month for cigarettes. That was a real eye opener. She never did stop smoking, and she never did get the new car that she wanted!
  • laurag89
    Options
    Mahsroh wrote: »
    Hi Laura, just checking in. Good to see it's going well. Getting that Lloyds card under the £3k mark will be a good achievement!

100% agree with Enthusiasticsaver on the smoking. Even putting health to one side, the cost is horrendous. I still never forget a few years ago (I was a teenager at the time) when my Mum saw a new car in a show room that she wanted (not a particularly cheap one either) and my Dad worked out that the monthly payments on the new car was less than she was paying every month for cigarettes. That was a real eye opener. She never did stop smoking, and she never did get the new car that she wanted!

Hello Mahsroh!
    I hope your well?

Agree on the Lloyds - i know it will still be high but under £3000 for me I think will really give me a further push to get it gone!

Wow that really does put into perspective just how expensive it Is, and it also shows just how much of a hold smoking has if we are still unable to quit even knowing we could get something we really want instead. I moved to hand rolling with tobacco to Make it cheaper but still now it's like £12 per pack, that is a lot of money.

• Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    laurag89 wrote: »
    Hello Mahsroh!
    I hope your well?

Agree on the Lloyds - i know it will still be high but under £3000 for me I think will really give me a further push to get it gone!

Wow that really does put into perspective just how expensive it Is, and it also shows just how much of a hold smoking has if we are still unable to quit even knowing we could get something we really want instead. I moved to hand rolling with tobacco to Make it cheaper but still now it's like £12 per pack, that is a lot of money.

All good from my side, thanks. Not much to report on reducing my debt. This month was always going to be tight due to a large one off bill, but I've managed to pay a little more than minimum payments on my cards and save a little. The old me would have ended up sticking a couple of hundred quid on a card in this scenario, but I've been super careful with my money so far! It feels great!!
  • laurag89
    Options
    Mahsroh wrote: »
    All good from my side, thanks. Not much to report on reducing my debt. This month was always going to be tight due to a large one off bill, but I've managed to pay a little more than minimum payments on my cards and save a little. The old me would have ended up sticking a couple of hundred quid on a card in this scenario, but I've been super careful with my money so far! It feels great!!

Even though it may not feel like it that is a huge achievement, just getting though a tough month being able to pay more than minimum payments and not falling back on habits of using a card is amazing!

Im the same i always used to think that i could just stick a bit on my credit card if it got a bit tough but i have also stopped thinking that way :)

• laurag89
    Options
    sorry for the lack of posting, I had my wisdom tooth removed and have been in agony so have been sleeping mostly!

proud moment - I bought my bridesmaids dresses and get this -£28 each in the sale!! I'm so impressed with myself, I love them aswell.

This is day 4 of being a non smoker so doing well, feeling better for it already.

1 week till payday so not much to report until them on the debt front. I have neglected my surveys but getting back into it tonight!

• Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on the bridesmaid dresses that!!!8217;s amazing! You are doing so well planning a wedding and paying off debt :-)
  • laurag89
    Options
    Rachel24 wrote: »
    Well done on the bridesmaid dresses that!!!8217;s amazing! You are doing so well planning a wedding and paying off debt :-)

Thank you :)

• laurag89
    Options
    Went to the gym today and yesterday - it makes me feel much better even though I'm pretty happy with my body.

Getting nearer to payday which is on Monday- really can't wait to pay off some of the Lloyds credit card.

just completed a survey on my lunch break from PA which was £1.40 its really slow with them at the moment.

Also almost at the 1 week mark of being a non smoker:)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport