PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just opened the A diet cola to try .... it's pretty rank.
    it's not particularly fizzy and doesn't have enough caramel syrup in it.

Won't get that again....

I made another corned beef/tomato roll ... and have scoffed a few sweeties and 3 chocolate digestives.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Berates myself for not having thought of using my dehydrator for drying surplus blackcurrants. Thinks.....guessing dried blackcurrants would be the equivalent of currants maybe??

Also just guessing, but looking at some of my wizened red currants I suspect not, they look more like shriveled red grit. However I've not tried re hydrating them, maybe they would do a Lazarus when soaked?

I had frozen chips with the LO quiches, and half tin of beans

Then I plunged into my belly busting sticky rice pud, it was gorgeous and I had to stop myself from really pigging it down. Some left for another day

Now I'm left with an awful rice pud dish & lid, burnt on.
    Another blessing of CFO, I can leave it in soak forever if I wish. Probably leave overnight and then bung in the dishwasher if the burnt bits have loosened by then
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Now I'm left with an awful rice pud dish & lid, burnt on.
    Another blessing of CFO, I can leave it in soak forever if I wish. Probably leave overnight and then bung in the dishwasher if the burnt bits have loosened by then

I'd just squirt a bit of washing up liquid in it, pour the contents of a boiled kettle in and leave it... next time I'm passing I might run a spoon round the edges to get any burnt bits loose.... and when I finally fancied tackling it I'd give it another rub round with the spoon, drain it off through a sieve, fill it with hot soapy water and give it a rubbing round with a green/sponge thing. Job done.

I always put the SC crock in soak with boiling water when it's finished.... nothing ever sticks in my house - and if it thinks about sticking hot soapy water, a good soaking and a spoon sorts it.

No rush to wash it up is there....

Dishwasher... pfft what a cop out. :)
  • Farway
    Options
    I'd just squirt a bit of washing up liquid in it, pour the contents of a boiled kettle in and leave it... next time I'm passing I might run a spoon round the edges to get any burnt bits loose.... and when I finally fancied tackling it I'd give it another rub round with the spoon, drain it off through a sieve, fill it with hot soapy water and give it a rubbing round with a green/sponge thing. Job done.

I always put the SC crock in soak with boiling water when it's finished.... nothing ever sticks in my house - and if it thinks about sticking hot soapy water, a good soaking and a spoon sorts it.

No rush to wash it up is there....

Dishwasher... pfft what a cop out. :)

PN, I didn't go into details, but that was exactly my plan, it went in soak with washing up liquid more or less once I'd emptied the contents out

Dishwasher:j:j:j:j
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I :heart::heart::heart: my dishwasher, it will be promptly replaced when it dies:D. I do like things to be debris free before they go in as I can't abide cleaning out the filter anymore than is strictly necessary. I'm a big fan of a good soaking where required so the bits are off. I had to smile when my son was home recently - he brought loads of his "tupperware" to give them a run through the dishwasher.:cool: He is a very thorough washer upper but said they didn't feel as clean after handwashing.

I enjoy "summer" food or to be more accurate I like eating food that fits with the weather/season. I've had soup a few times recently when the weather has been less warm/sunny but on good days I like my salads and can't get enough of veggies from my garden and lovely local tatties:D. I do find summer eating more expensive though despite the home grown produce but budget-wise it balances itself out over the course of the year so I'm fine with that.:)

I've had another very quiet day - annoyingly the "wonky donkey" seems to be wanting to venture out so haven't felt like doing anything very much. Thankfully, apart from watering the greenhouse and the deck tomatoes, there was nothing urgent needing doing. I've actually had a reasonably good run for me so I'm probably due for another "spell":(, I'll just need to hunker down and get on with it and try not to turn into a "moaning minnie" ;)!
    I fancied soup at lunchtime so a tub of roasted veg soup was liberated. I changed my mind re steak for tonight as I'm going to pop a tray of veg in the oven to roast so it made sense to make good use of the oven and have something that could be baked/roasted consequently I've defrosted a couple of chicken thighs which I'll roast with jerk seasoning. The veg I'll have tonight and over the next couple of days as I want to keep what freezer space I have for when I get the meat order portioned and vacpacked.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 21 July 2018 at 7:26PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    .... on good days I like my salads and can't get enough of veggies from my garden and lovely local tatties:D. I do find summer eating more expensive though despite the home grown produce but budget-wise it balances itself out over the course of the year

I'm not keen on "salad items". And they go off so quick, so even if you do buy them you then have to eat them 2-3x a day every day for aaaaages.

I wouldn't mind a nice bit of cold quiche ... but that is even better with chips :)

I think, in the main, fresh "summer food" either doesn't come in convenient/usable quantities ... or, if you do seek out single portions, the price is then prohibitively high.

I saw some "salads" in L this morning, 30% off... but they don't fill a hole do they? There's no belly filling with a salad as such ... it's all just expensive water/air.

I don't mind going along a salad buffet bar, say, dolloping on a bit of potato salad, half a tomato, 1" of sliced cucumber, bit of beetroot, spoon of grated carrot, spoon of mixed/sliced peppers ... but to actually buy that lot, in the full sized quantities it's sold in, is just "too daunting".

The occasional (twice a year) cold pasta salad is nice at the time, but once you've had it, that's enough for this year. Cold rice salads I don't bother with more than 1-2x a year either, keeping them simple with usually just rice and peas because I've not got other stuff that'd make them more interesting (e.g. doing a satsuma/walnut one or something).

I've never seen the point of lettuce, beyond a little bit in a sandwich for the crunch factor.

I probably see summer food as mostly "cheese and tomato sandwiches" ... :) or egg/salad cream sandwiches ...

If I have "salad" here, now, say, it'd focus on: grated cheddar, few cherry tomatoes, boiled egg, spud salad ... and a few crisps on the side.
  • caronc
    Options
    Nowt wrong with a cheese & tomato sandwich:)
    The joy of growing veg for me is that I can pick only what I need - I wouldn't buy the "single" portion stuff and big bags of salad leaves etc. can feel a bit of a marathon to get through before they go soggy.

I do like lettuce though:) and have been known to quietly munch my way through one as a snack just with pepper & a sprinkle of vinegar on it, ditto cucumber especially now mine are beginning to produce. :cool:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening

This time of year salad is my go to for lunches, I can't eat too much bread so it's easy for work without too much forward planning the night before :) I like raw spinach but will grow and pick a variety of leaves including turnip greens, pak choi , chard etc and then add a good variety of things with it

Lazy day today, nothing I wanted to get done got done :o I've been wheezing the last couple of days so I've been really tired today, in fact unusually for me I fell asleep this afternoon when I sat down for a cuppa and woke up to a cold tea. I did feel better for it even if I ended up with pins and needles

Lunch was a couple of boiled eggs with crackers and a choc ice :D I fancied chicken tonight and seeing as it was a little cooler today I roasted a chicken for dinner with potato and celeriac Boulangere and corn on the cob followed by cherries. I can see chicken appearing a lot over the next couple of days but I think it will be too hot to make chicken soup, so the bones will end up in the freezer until it's cooler
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I hope the wheezing settles Brambling.
    Cloudy and damp but very warm & clammy, I wouldn't be surprised if we got some thunder.
    I'm still feeling rather wonky so will be having a gentle day.
    I roasted a huge tray of veggies last night, there must have been around 2kg:eek: so that will be a good boost towards my five a day:). It's amazing how what looks like masses shrinks down though but I reckon I'll get four meals at least from it. I had some with chicken last night. There is chicken LO which I'll either have for lunch today or more likely tomorrow as I'll need something quick to fit round getting my central heating serviced. Tonight I think it will be naan bread pizza using some of the veg, tomato/pepper spread & mozzarella.

I think I have mixed up some of my tomato labels as what I thought was a tub of Indigo Rose looks as though it is producing red toms not purple! Hopefully the Indigo Rose ones will turn up but can't spot them so far...... They weren't sown from saved seed so should grow true to type but I suppose it isn't guaranteed.
  • Farway
    edited 22 July 2018 at 9:39AM
    Options
    Up and about early, again, i'm sure it's the weather & light mornings causing it, although there was a fox "yelping" last night, I think it's a vixen because my neighbour told me she had all the cubs indoors a day or so back, came in via the cat flap & were scoffing the cats' dinners, to which the cats objected violently:eek:

Had a quick scrape round rim of manky burnt dish in soak, then out picking blackberries growing over my shed and topped up with a few overhanging the neighbours wild patch. They never pick them, ever.
    Although wild blackberries they are large & sweet, very thorny though

Breakfast was porridge with the the blackberries nuked in at the same time, plus HM yoghurt & honey

I look like I smoke 100 a day now, the Stargazer lilies are out, lovely, but the pollen has coated my arms and smudged on my chops, either nicotine or jaundice. :)

PS, Caron, mixed up seeds, seems we are very much alike on that as well, my large pink Brandywine seems to be Sungold:o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback