PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Damp and grey here this morning and although it's cooler it's certainly not cold. The rain is off at the moment but another shower doesn't look far off. A good day I think to knuckle down and sort out my house insurance:)
    Dinner tonight will depend on what the weather does but I'm thinking either naan bread pizza or bangersand root veg mash. Lunch will be the last of the soup and a sandwich.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    green manure is already on as beds empty, I have a bit of seed left but am not buying any more. I will probably hoe when the weather cools but only quick hoeing. I am keeping the whole plot until late march, no-one looks after the plots like I do, so I want to do a straightforward handover to my house purchaser. Only after I have removed and potted or root bagged the plants coming with me

Food will be easy and as it comes out of the fridge, no cooking until last meal
  • caronc
    Options
    Hope the EA visit goes ok today kittie:)

No sign of the weather perking up so think it will be an indoors day today. I gave the house a good sweep through so no excuse now not to get my proverbial in gear and look at insurance, My current policy expires next week and I don't want end up auto renewing due to cbaness:eek:.
    My butchers order is due in the next hour or so, I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm getting quite hungry but don't want to be in the middle of my lunch when the door goes! I think it's a corned beef & pickle sarnie kind of day to go with the soup rather than salad. As it's Friday I may treat myself to a naughty packet of crisps as well:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,270 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Still no rain, the forecast is yellow warning, floods & hell on earth due any minute, yeah, right, must be some other planet, it's baking outside

Nil breakfast, cheese & salady sarnie for lunch

I've got more salad stuff in, but really fancy fish & chips. I've got both in the freezer, so 30 minutes at gas 7 is my dinner sorted, plus I forgot to use the last of the YS coleslaw yesterday, so if it is not bubbling & fizzing I'll have that with them in lieu of peas

Thought I'd post this, one of my "give it a try" tomatoes, seeds were YS of course. It is Indigo cherry drops, makes a change even if it looks a bot odd
    Indigo-cherry-drop-july-2018-_2.jpg
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Nice looking tomato Farway looks similiar to the Indigo Rose ones I grew last year (and this year) which were very tasty.:) Think we must have your rain here!
    Butchers order arrived just before 1pm so I didn't have to wait too long to have my lunch. It's stashed in the fridge and I'll get it portioned & vac packed over the weekend.
    I'd like to say I've had a productive afternoon and sorted out the insurance but I actually had a snooze :o.
    Armed with a cuppa I'm now off to try and be very :money:and get a good deal on it.
  • caronc
    Options
    Insurance sorted out for another year. Slightly cheaper than last year and much cheaper than the renewal quote. I feel very :money:and a will be having a glass of red to celebrate later (any excuse :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:)
    I'm still undecided re dinner though might copy Farway and have fish & chips. I was going to have oven chips last night but had sweet potato wedges instead so not double - chipping so to speak:cool:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Thought I'd post this, one of my "give it a try" tomatoes, seeds were YS of course. It is Indigo cherry drops, makes a change even if it looks a bot odd
    Indigo-cherry-drop-july-2018-_2.jpg

My brain can play tricks when food is the 'wrong' colour, yellow raspberries never seen so sweet as red etc, I remember doing experiments at college, mash potatoes tasting creamier under yellow light than blue or green jelly tasting of lime when it was strawberry favour :)

Well done on the insurance Caronc

I've been a little demob happy today :D I'm off next week unless the temperature reaches the threatened 30s :eek: then I'm going to work for the air conditioning :rotfl: I'm not going away, just out and about various days and things needing doing in the house. I would like to weed but no chance at the moment although I plan to tackle the brambles taking over from next doors [STRIKE]jungle[/STRIKE] garden. I think it needs a strong weed killer but I worry about the cat and it's too hot to keep him in for more than overnight he will drive me mad trying to escape. My nephew has promised to come and help cut them down as long as it's not too hot :D

Lunch was broccoli and green bean soup, a strange choice I know this weather but LOs which need eating the weather was luckily cooler today so not too many strange looks at work and nice with some cheddar stirred through. Dinner was salmon and prawns with asparagus and new potatoes, the prawns were cooked in garlic and chilli :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Embrace (though tame) the brambles - they make great bramble vodka or gin:) and of course crumbles etc. I got invaded a few years ago and now love my briar patch:D.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Embrace (though tame) the brambles - they make great bramble vodka or gin:) and of course crumbles etc. I got invaded a few years ago and now love my briar patch:D.

Unfortunately they're not in a good place in the garden, if they had been at the bottom I may have done that. I can reach over and pick next doors. I'm tempted to ask him if I can go in and pick maybe offer a share of crumble :D

I do like blackberry whiskey although i don't usually drink whiskey, but it could have been the bottle of 10 year old which was a raffle prize I made it with :eek: I'm still not sure my sister forgave me :rotfl: but it was good on roasted figs :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Shame they are in the wrong place but if you scrounge from next door why not. I'm not (dare I confess) a huge whisky fan but can make an exception for a fruit based whisky and age is defintely a bonus:D
    Definitely cut back rather than blast with weedkiller anything that's poking through. "Sproutings" in your soil though need the strong stuff to get rid - 6 hours is usually enough to make it pet-safe otherwise pull and trim but they will come back.......

After all my indecision dinner ended up being HM moussaka from the freezer & spinach (also from frozen) and it was lovely. Could have & should have nipped out and picked garden greens but it's very midgy and I really CBA:cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback