PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Caronc,
    yep 2 freezers, but I think I mentioned I am now driving around in my second planned one, can only spend one pound once:D
    Hope you've got the savings jar started;)

:rotfl::rotfl:re the cheese stomach - guilty as charged m'lud:o
  • caronc
    Options
    Big mug of tomato soup and a cheese toastie, eaten while listening to rain batter down, knowing I'm safe & dry inside - bliss:D:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 August 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    PN, shame about the pasty, I know what you mean though, I found the Gregg's stuff is not for me. We have a new genuine Cornish pasty shop here, made & trucked across from Cornwall. Their pasties are nice, but OMG over £3:eek:, currently they have £1 off coupons so may treat myself soon
    Some Asda stores had a Warrens bakery shelf just inside the door - and they are really nice/hot pasties and, at Asda, just cost £1.

Having said that, they'll be on a "space rented" basis, so it's hit and miss which stores would ever have such a thing...

I've just had beans and cheese on toast for lunch today. That was the end of the cheese.... and I'm 2/3rds of the way down the loaf. Nothing much to put in sandwiches here now, except the 1/4 cucumber still lurking...
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Big confession coming up :). I have just ordered freezer number 3.

I have got a fridge/freezer in the kitchen, a small chest freezer in the outhouse and have got another small chest freezer on order.

It enables me to have plenty of choice and variety, as well as batch cook and not have to eat the same thing for days running.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sun's out, I opted for ham & salad sandwich for lunch, mainly because with tonight's planned dinner I feel I should at least attempt to have some sort of veg today

HH, I have freezer envy now, my next one has to be upright, if I had a chest one I'd never bend enough & expect I'd tumble in & be found frozen stiff inside it clutching some frozen chips:D
    Some Asda stores had a Warrens bakery shelf just inside the door - and they are really nice/hot pasties and, at Asda, just cost £1.

Having said that, they'll be on a "space rented" basis, so it's hit and miss which stores would ever have such a thing...

I've never looked, but as "my" Asda is only a few minutes away from "my" Warrens I doubt they would be in there. Meanwhile I have a free cake taster from outside W's when I walk by, every little helps
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just opened a tin of spaghetti hoops - and served half that in on two bits of toast... more to use up the tins I'd bought that were lurking. They were just 16p, but not that good to be honest.... but handy to have in the cupboard for CBA days when there's bread spare... but I've not got round to eating them for over a year, so today one of them bit the dust.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2018 at 6:02PM
    Options
    Imam bayeldi duly in oven cooking. Couscous to cook in a minute and got the pomegranite seeds ready to scatter over it.

Needs something "green" - thinks...have I trimmed my chives down too far that I've got in the garden.

Have been stuffing myself with fresh fruit (as its Free Food -ie doesnt count). Just had an enormous wedge of watermelon to start with.

Time to "up my game" all round. Tried dressing a bit smarter than I have been since moving here and duly got called "glamorous":D. Let's see what happens when the surplus 2 stones has gone/I've got a better haircut hopefully from next hairdresser I'm going to try and see if I can persuade myself to put on some eye make-up again.:cool: Good resolutions time going on at the moment....

EDIT; Thinks - maybe better drizzle some fat-free yogurt and sprinkling of sumac on the couscous too....add a "little zumzing"....
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used a can of mixed bean salad to make a bean goulash with lo pepper, carrots and a carton of passata. Thought it might last two days but looking at the end result I reckon it's three days. Plus I have lo egg yolks from making a posh meringue type dessert, so will have two maybe three days of carbonara to get through as well.
  • caronc
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Big confession coming up :). I have just ordered freezer number 3.

I have got a fridge/freezer in the kitchen, a small chest freezer in the outhouse and have got another small chest freezer on order.

It enables me to have plenty of choice and variety, as well as batch cook and not have to eat the same thing for days running.

:wave:Holly- nice to see you posting. Extra freezer space sounds sensible as you say it saves having to endless eat stuff up umpteen days running:)
    Imam bayeldi duly in oven cooking. Couscous to cook in a minute and got the pomegranite seeds ready to scatter over it.

Needs something "green" - thinks...have I trimmed my chives down too far that I've got in the garden.
    I love Imam bayeldi (in fact anything with aubergines. I could bring chard & calvo nero from my gardem if you want to share;)
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I used a can of mixed bean salad to make a bean goulash with lo pepper, carrots and a carton of passata. Thought it might last two days but looking at the end result I reckon it's three days. Plus I have lo egg yolks from making a posh meringue type dessert, so will have two maybe three days of carbonara to get through as well.
    I always find bean dishes seem to make more than I thought they would, I'm guilty of making things that produce x + a bit portions and ending up adding to the "bit" to pad it out and then ending up with the same problem:o. I find egg yolks freeze fine as long as they are whisked up. I always freeze them in 2 yolk portions (same with spare whites if I have them) so I know how many I'm dealing with. It's certainly been "goulash" weather here today.

Apart from about 5 minutes when the clouds cleared and the sun shone it has been a wet and gloomy day. I reckon it will be almost dark in the next hour. "Confined to barracks" I decided to gut the bathroom & wash down all the doors & woodwork in my hall (it has 6 doors although it's not a big area). Took me ages interspersed with sit downs but good to get it done.:) My nephew popped by to use my printer, had a mug of tomato soup and left with a tub for his lunch tomorrow:cool: (well seeing he is "home alone" as my sis is away and having to fend for himself:rotfl:)
    After all the bending this afternoon dinner is going to be a bung it in the oven of chicken wings, corn cobette, roasted red onion and the LO tatties from last night so an easy but hopefully tasty one with minimal prep & clearing up:D
  • caronc
    Options
    I've just opened a tin of spaghetti hoops - and served half that in on two bits of toast... more to use up the tins I'd bought that were lurking. They were just 16p, but not that good to be honest.... but handy to have in the cupboard for CBA days when there's bread spare... but I've not got round to eating them for over a year, so today one of them bit the dust.
    Tinned pasta is my "Room 101" of food always has been- it's texture as much as anything. When I was growing up it seemed to be a favourite to appear if you went for tea at a pals house (tinned macorini cheese was the worst:eek:). Brought up to be polite I can still remember (and shudder) at forcing it down...
    My younger son & ex both love the stuff though. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback