Spill the beans... Trade secrets: supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies!

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• laserline
    Options
    Until recently our local Tesco has had many reduced produce bargains on a Sunday.
    Now however there are noticeably no meat joints, chickens etc. Mainly packaged ready meals and sandwiches. This appears for 5 to 10 minutes and is then removed. We are told it is scrap. A staff member told me that they now have there own fridge and get reduced food free.We have even spotted the store manager appearing from 'the back' carrying packs of salmon. I wonder if this is why the more expensive items are not reaching the customers. Tesco could be losing a considerable amount of money if this is happening in every store
  • Lucyjoanne
    Options
    Spilling the beans here....I have to be very honest. ...

I work on produce at a local supermarket and do reductions.

If there is something either:
    -High Calories
    -Freezeable for 2 months

I will take it for myself, and the managers are OK with this. Also it's easy to make friends with other people on their departments and trade stuff hehe :P

I usually spend about £10-15 a week on food this way. Don't judge me it's one of the only reasons I still work there!! :)

I work at a high street fashion chain and we do the 70% off and clearance. I do the marking there,and yes, I’ve snagged myself a bargain after I’ve finished. Well, supermarkets do pay minimum wage! And it’s above board!
  • Lucyjoanne
    Options
    laserline wrote: »
    Until recently our local Tesco has had many reduced produce bargains on a Sunday.
    Now however there are noticeably no meat joints, chickens etc. Mainly packaged ready meals and sandwiches. This appears for 5 to 10 minutes and is then removed. We are told it is scrap. A staff member told me that they now have there own fridge and get reduced food free.We have even spotted the store manager appearing from 'the back' carrying packs of salmon. I wonder if this is why the more expensive items are not reaching the customers. Tesco could be losing a considerable amount of money if this is happening in every store

Hmm, I know tesco does donate a certain amount of this is to charities. I’m in a hostel and we daily get donations of unwanted food from m and s. We’ve had bundles of all kinds of bread through, but also ready meals, and racks of lamb.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback