Spill the beans... Trade secrets: supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies!

Options

Comments

• Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    People often post the times when supermarkets mark down products. I'm NOT asking about that, there are threads on those already.

But when is the best day of the week/time of day to make sure you get first pick of the special offers/freshly stocked items ?

Monday 8am ? Tuesday ? Sunday afternoon ?

Also, do these change according to supermarket ?

I was wondering about this because a SA in Sainsbury's told me that to get organic veg I should shop in the mornings because there's a lot less of it, so it disappears faster in relation to non-organic.

TIA
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure most supermarkets fill the shelves overnight/before opening so early morning would be best.
    Wouldn't make much difference which day as they probably get fresh stock in most days.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From the Supermarket Shopping guide:
    Reduction times varied by store/opening time, yet some definite patterns emerged. The first yellow stickers appear around 10am, and the silly-price reductions begin at 7pm, when stores cut prices by 75% and upwards.

Most shop floor staff have the authority to reduce prices at their discretion, so keep your eye out for goods that are damaged/nearing their sell-by dates. Their overwhelming cry was: "We will reduce prices for friendly customers, but if you’re rude and demand a reduction – forget it."
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to visit at a quiet time - I will suggest 7am at all Sainsburys. I often go to the large flagship store about 5 miles from here and there are more colleagues doing internet shopping picking orders than customers.

If 7am is too early for you, after 6pm.
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From the Supermarket Shopping guide:
    Edwardia wrote: »
    when supermarkets mark down products. I'm NOT asking about that, there are threads on those already.
  • grazzzz
    Options
    Due to a diving accident in 2010 i have been on a low income and due to my disability as it had effected my right inner ear so completely disabled my balance so have had to have brain physio to adjust and due to not being able to walk or exercise for i while put on weight so am currently having lots of smoothies and fruit !
    Last night on the way home from my girlfriends we popped in to tesco and was in the fruit aise when a young guy started marking down the fruit he had collected it was around 9ish and he explained that at that time of night everything is marked down by 90% if the sale date was that day ! he was joined by his surpervisor and i got talking to them explaining why i needed it .they said it was hit and miss as what was there every day but tonight they had a lot
    this is what i got
    3 punnets of grapes 20p each
    4 punnets of peaches 10 p each
    Giant oranges in string bag 4 in each bag x 4 bags 20 p each
    i pineapple 16p
    punnet strawberries 20p
    2 fruit mixed berry punnets 20 p
    bag of lemons 16 p

There was loads of all the above and i stood by as he priced it all as it had just been collected from its prospective aisles.
    She then advised me the deli was about to close so went there to find a cooked hot cooked chicken 80p and some fresh sliced bacon 9 slices which was 36 p there were lots of somossoas and fryed pastry things too but not for me

the supervisor was very helpful she genuinely wanted me to get the bargain stuff because of my condition and said to ook out for her next time and she would help me again !
    i got over £30 for around £2.50

For anyone on a low budget it was an amazing bargain
  • mum26
    mum26 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, great timing!
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Nice haul! Reductions are great but it is easy to buy too much as it is so cheap but it is just a waste of money if the food spoils. Will you be able to eat all that fruit before it goes off? Personally I'd freeze the berrys and lemons (quarter them first) and would concentrate on eating the rest first.

That is nice of the manager to help you out but you can't expect such bargains everytime you go. Sometimes there is nothing to reduce, my local Tesco is hit and miss for bargains. I usually get reduced veg from Tesco for about half/a third of the price but the co-op near me is much better for reduced meat.
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done :D

My Tesco does 90% reductions just after 7pm, so we always make sure we're there in time - usually manage to get most of our weekly shop reduced and stick lots of it in the freezer :)
  • caringa
    caringa Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    grazzzz wrote: »
    Due to a diving accident in 2010 i have been on a low income and due to my disability as it had effected my right inner ear so completely disabled my balance so have had to have brain physio to adjust and due to not being able to walk or exercise for i while put on weight so am currently having lots of smoothies and fruit !
    Last night on the way home from my girlfriends we popped in to tesco and was in the fruit aise when a young guy started marking down the fruit he had collected it was around 9ish and he explained that at that time of night everything is marked down by 90% if the sale date was that day ! he was joined by his surpervisor and i got talking to them explaining why i needed it .they said it was hit and miss as what was there every day but tonight they had a lot
    this is what i got
    3 punnets of grapes 20p each
    4 punnets of peaches 10 p each
    Giant oranges in string bag 4 in each bag x 4 bags 20 p each
    i pineapple 16p
    punnet strawberries 20p
    2 fruit mixed berry punnets 20 p
    bag of lemons 16 p

There was loads of all the above and i stood by as he priced it all as it had just been collected from its prospective aisles.
    She then advised me the deli was about to close so went there to find a cooked hot cooked chicken 80p and some fresh sliced bacon 9 slices which was 36 p there were lots of somossoas and fryed pastry things too but not for me

the supervisor was very helpful she genuinely wanted me to get the bargain stuff because of my condition and said to ook out for her next time and she would help me again !
    i got over £30 for around £2.50

For anyone on a low budget it was an amazing bargain

Well done! I happened to get some similar bargains in Tescos this week too - cherry tomatoes for 8p, cherries for 10p, rasberries for 10p, bag of lemons for 4p, cucumber for 2p! Every little helps and what more, its all healthy food!:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback