Selling your soul to the devil

I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    They're just asked to comment something like 'yes please' and instead of that it's like a major suck-up with full details of all their family and how ecstatic poor little Henry will be to use that particular brand of toilet roll (or whatever). Spew!
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I saw one the other day to win a bunch of flowers - someone said they'd be to put on her dead little boy's grave. My head was a bit all over the place with that one - the sentiment was there, but to win a comp? Just wrong.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hazyjo wrote: »
    I saw one the other day to win a bunch of flowers - someone said they'd be to put on her dead little boy's grave. My head was a bit all over the place with that one - the sentiment was there, but to win a comp? Just wrong.

Jx
    surely if you had a dead child you'd be too distraught to post anything like that, I know I still get upset thinking about Mum & she died over 20 years ago (tears in my eyes as I type this)
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • This one made me laugh this morning for a £25 gift card

Thanks so much to McWhinney's at Bigfoot Sausages for such a generous prize. My Mum always got her sausages & her other meat from McWhinneys Butchers in Bridge Street Comber every Thursday for years
    This would be a great help with buying my 2 little Grandchildren some new clothes for Autumn as they are growing up so quickly. Liked a lot & Shared
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    hazyjo wrote: »

Jx

I'm sure I saw something like this during the advents, I think it got mentioned on here as well.
    There was another one which had someone say that a relative had committed suicide, that was to win a voucher. The comments were really shocking. And totally wrong.
    I agree that sometimes you read some comments and it completely messes with your head. Some things are best left private. And it causes distress to others as well, which I don't think is fair.
    TBH, the padding, sucking up, and sob stories are one of my pet hates when it comes to FB comps, no wonder I do more Twitter ones.
    Wait till the Christmas Advents start. This forum section is going to be very busy (like last year, before they locked it)
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    dontone wrote: »
    I'm sure I saw something like this during the advents, I think it got mentioned on here as well.
    There was another one which had someone say that a relative had committed suicide, that was to win a voucher. The comments were really shocking. And totally wrong.
    I agree that sometimes you read some comments and it completely messes with your head. Some things are best left private. And it causes distress to others as well, which I don't think is fair.
    TBH, the padding, sucking up, and sob stories are one of my pet hates when it comes to FB comps, no wonder I do more Twitter ones.
    Wait till the Christmas Advents start. This forum section is going to be very busy (like last year, before they locked it)
    Be Lucky

Yeah, during the advents one lady posted a picture of herself posing by her child's grave on a comp post (think it was the Homebase comp) :(
    2018 wins-12wins
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The one I saw was only this or last week. They really shouldn't still be encouraging it. I thought most in the comping world knew it was a bit frowned upon now, but maybe she was a newbie. Or maybe it's just my interpretation/presumption and loads of regular compers do it! :eek:

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What makes me laugh is when a FB comp only wants you to answer a simple question and then people come along with their sob stories but don't even answer the question so have, in effect, disqualified themselves.

Those 'tell us why you deserve to win' comps don't help matters, either!
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    These do my nut in. On many FB comps that I comment on, it looks like I'm literally the ONLY person who just gives the answer asked for - I stick to this on principle! Eg. if it says "what's the capital of France?" I will make sure I only put "Paris" even though 99% of answers will be "The capital of France is Paris, Thank you so much for a fantastic competition, such a generous prize, fingers tightly crossed, happily sharing away, you never know...." etc etc.
    I can't abide it and I really wish competition providers would disqualify people who don't just give the answer! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure