Halifax reward account online now, and the old accounts....

Options

Comments

• Megalomaniac
    Options
    Hi everyone - I opened up a reward account, and online it says Application Decision Holiding still. I received a letter saying I had been accepted, to pay in £100 (I paid in £1000 via BACS) which has gone in today, however the Application Decision is still on the online banking and I can't click through to gain access to my account. I rung up yesterday and was told that once the £1000 hit the account, it would be fully opened and accessible. Was anyone else in a similar position? Cheers
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was anyone else in a similar position?
    From memory (and for 'new to Halifax' customers), the first deposit triggers online access to the account. The £100 requested triggers the sending of the debit card.

I think you'll have access on the day following cleared funds (of any amount) reaching the account.
  • roxalana
    roxalana Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been asked - I'm working my way through the 47 pages but it is taking some time!

I am a Natwest customer and now my interest free overdraft from my graduate account has expired I'm shopping around. I am usually (99.9%) in credit, so this account seems wise.

Can anyone say whether the account is any good to actually use e.g. good internet banking, easy to sort things out in branch etc? Although it's nice to have £5/month, I prefer an easy life (hence why I'm leaving Natwest as they are always making mistakes on my accounts!)!

Also I can see some people have up to 3 accounts. I am after 2 accounts so I can keep my spending money and bills money separate - is there anything specific I have to ask for when setting up 2 accounts?

Finally, in the next 2 years I hope to get a mortgage - will switching current accounts have any effect on my mortgage-ability?

Thanks!
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    roxalana wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked - I'm working my way through the 47 pages but it is taking some time!

I am a Natwest customer and now my interest free overdraft from my graduate account has expired I'm shopping around. I am usually (99.9%) in credit, so this account seems wise.

Can anyone say whether the account is any good to actually use e.g. good internet banking, easy to sort things out in branch etc? Although it's nice to have £5/month, I prefer an easy life (hence why I'm leaving Natwest as they are always making mistakes on my accounts!)!
    I've always like Halifax, all things considered. The website is really good and you can do most things online easily and quickly. Telephone banking is also good and it's easy to get hold of a UK-based person. I tend not to use branches, but they have a good branch network and I've never had any problems in my local branch, though they do try and steer you towards the machines and away from the counters. There's a ban, I think, on withdrawing small amounts from the counter.
    Also I can see some people have up to 3 accounts. I am after 2 accounts so I can keep my spending money and bills money separate - is there anything specific I have to ask for when setting up 2 accounts?
    Not really. If you don't want to face questions, though you have a clear reason for requesting two accounts, you could always set up one initially, get your internet access sorted and then apply for a second online - you may get instant access to it subject to your opening deposit. Get a third as well, even if you don't need to use it - it's 50% more income than two alone ;)
    Finally, in the next 2 years I hope to get a mortgage - will switching current accounts have any effect on my mortgage-ability?

Thanks!
    Depends on your circumstances, but I doubt it. You will be credit scored for each account because of the attached overdrafts, so three accounts would be three searches (so applying for two together may be healthier?) but tbh, two years is a long time - searches will have dropped off after a year (or is it 6 months? Can't remember).

hth
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As you have to pay in £1000 a month to get the £5, does this have to be paid in one go, or can you pay amounts that aggregate to £1000 or more during the month?
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    wizk1 wrote: »
    As you have to pay in £1000 a month to get the £5, does this have to be paid in one go, or can you pay amounts that aggregate to £1000 or more during the month?

Total amount during the calendar month must add up to at least £1000, can be in smaller amounts if you like.
  • sarah.dee
    Options
    I opened one reward account earlier this month, and using the online system, today I've applied for another one, which seemed to go through fine.

But one thing I just noticed on my accounts page is that the first account I set up is called Reward Current Account, and the one that I set up today (therefore hasn't been activated yet) is just called Current Account.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it needs to be credited to be given the Reward Account status, or whether I'll need to go speak to someone in branch to change it. (I'd rather not...!)

I don't really want the account if its not going to reward me
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sarah.dee wrote: »
    I opened one reward account earlier this month, and using the online system, today I've applied for another one, which seemed to go through fine.

But one thing I just noticed on my accounts page is that the first account I set up is called Reward Current Account, and the one that I set up today (therefore hasn't been activated yet) is just called Current Account.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it needs to be credited to be given the Reward Account status, or whether I'll need to go speak to someone in branch to change it. (I'd rather not...!)

It should change status overnight.
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    sarah.dee wrote: »

As 10_66 says ^^

There isn't a basic current account any more, only Reward CA and Ultimate Reward CA (which charges a fee). Some have commented that the £5 reward makes the URCA a more worthwhile proposition.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • Calchas
    Options
    I have just received a "Special Conditions" booklet for (admittedly) a Bank of Scotland Reward Current Account, to apply from November 2009.

I am not going to pretend that I have read it all, nor do I intend to: it is some 29 pages long!

What did catch my attention was on the summary page: Section 2 Special conditions for our Reward Current Account - Amendment to special condition b) so that now you can only have up to two account holders on an "either to sign" basis only. For new accounts opened on or after 1st November 2009, you can hold one Reward Current Account in your sole name and one in joint names

It seems, if this means what I believe it does, they are putting the brakes on the amount of these accounts individuals are allowed to have; albeit not retrospectively.

It also seems that in future (afer 6th December) these accounts must be funded with £1000 per calendar month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure