PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11

Options

Comments

• Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a "diet diary" that I write each time I start a healthy bender, and it has entries going back 4 years saying "this time I will do it" and every time it's the same - I lose a few pounds then relax and pile it on again! It's so frustrating :mad:
    I can totally relate to this. I have diaries with my weight recorded in them and it's so depressing to see how little has changed over the years. I sometimes feel like I have been dieting my entire adult life...

Same here, I feel like I spend my entire life dieting only to end up a little bit heavier each year. I've never started a diet expecting to fail but I've very rarely been successful either. There have been a couple of times that I've managed to get to a weight that I'm happy with (I was still well into the overweight category according to BMI but was comfortable with myself so didn't care) but it always creeps (sometimes gallops...) back on.

I know that I find life easier when I'm not this heavy and I know that it's entirely within my power to fix it, I just somehow don't seem to be able to.

I was trying to remember what I ate yesterday and realised that I probably need to pay closer attention to what I'm eating and start logging stuff properly but at the moment I'm trying to be more relaxed about things, in the hope that I can tell myself I'm just being healthier rather than dieting so that I'm less likely to snap and eat everything in the house.

I think yesterday's food was along the lines of:

B - A little bit of leftover mushroom roast
    L - Skinny latte on the walk home from the hospital
    D - Some more leftover mushroom roast, 3 Charlotte potatoes (parboiled, rubbed with oil, slightly squished, seasoned and then roasted) with veg
    S - a small handful of my husband's chips, a biscuit and 3 chocolates

Dandy, I hope the blister gets better soon. The weather may be improving but I'm not quite ready for flip flops yet :D
  • hatful-of-hollow
    hatful-of-hollow Posts: 966 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2019 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Just back from our morning mile.
    Today's menu looks like this:

B Black coffee
    L Beans on one slice toast, half a banana
    D Sweet and sour chicken stir fry with loads of veg and a small portion of rice followed by sugar free jelly and fruit

Hopefully will get out for another walk later, would be nice to get to 10k steps today.

E Total of 3.2 miles brisk walk
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

My children have given me a really horrible cold so struggling today just had some toast so far

Yesterday I had

B: Trek Cereal Bar
    L: M and S Plant Kitchen salad - not fussed
    D: Homemade veg chili with sweet potato wedges and half an avocado
    S: slice of toast

I dont think I'll be doing much exercise over the next couple of days as Im working 4 double shifts next week and I need to be well

Nat
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good afternoon all,

I went running but my left calf feels a bit iffy so I walked most of it instead. I've been shopping for some embroidery thread - I've picked up my cross stitch again and I didn't have some of the right colours for what I want to make. Cross stitch stops me eating of an evening. I need both hands and I can't eat anything in case my hands get dirty and I mark the material.

Green Eco Girl I hope the baby is ok and that you and your OH are feeling a bit better.

Natlie I hope that you feel better soon too.

Take care all of you :)
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

Imperial (lbs)

big5 ....................2/14-/:):)/-/
    Brambling.............2.5/10 :)/:)/;)/STS
    Cranky..................4.5/11 :)/;)/:)/:):)
    dandy-candy..........0.5/14-/:);)/:D/STS
    Doing it my way.....5/10:):)/STS/:D:D/:):):):):)
    dumpling...............5/14:):):):)/:)/STS/
    Edina Typhoon........0/8-/-/-/
    fit and freaky.........7/16:)/STS/:):):):):)/:)
    Ginmonster............1/5 -/STS/:)/
    GreenEcoGirl..........2.5/0-/:):);)/STS/
    hatful-of-hollow......0/7-/-/-/
    Izadora..................1/14-/-/-/:)
    katiepants..............2.5/10-/-/:):)/;)
    LadyGada..............1.5/10-/:);)/-/
    monks...................3/10-/:)/:):)/
    MrsLottie................2/10-/;)/:);)/STS
    Munchin.................6/14:)/:):)/:):):)/
    natlie.....................0/5-/-/-/
    Plain Jane...............0/7-/-/-/
    Rose Wood.............1/7-/:)/STS/
    savesummore.........2.5/10-/:)/:);)/STS
    SIRENS..................2/14 :)/STS/STS/:)
    Slowdown..............2/14-/-/:):)/
    star trek fan............+2/7-/:)/-/:D:D:D
    Sue14....................3/10:):)/:)/STS/
    VickyV....................6/11-/STS/:):):)/:):):)
    zafiro1984..............2.5/14-/:)):);)/-/

Metric (kg)

butterfly 2507 0.7/0-/-/:)/:D
    ktj...............0/10-/-/-/
    Ricarda........0/3.5-/-/-/

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 14 lbs
    Group weight loss week 2............ 20 lbs
    Group weight loss week 3.............19.5 lbs & -0.8kg
    Group weight loss week 4.............10.5 lbs & +0.1kg
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,631 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 February 2019 at 11:40AM
    Options
    I am a bit late to this party. Hello to everyone :hello:

I have had to watch my weight constantly especially over the last few years since going into menopause. I managed to get to a healthy BMI and size 10 for my daughters wedding in 2015 but over the last few years have crept up to a size 16 especially since taking early retirement. Perils of a thin husband who can eat anything, probably a less active lifestyle and too much eating out and afternoon tea and cake and cruise holidays.

I braved the scales on Monday 5th February and am 2.5 -3 stones heavier than I would like and apart from my birthday this week when my daughter bought me a birthday cake and we had an indian takeaway and wine I have been keeping to a 1200-1400 calorie diet. DH bought me a fitbit so I have been trying to do my 10k steps per day or 2 gym workouts a week and a walk on at least 3 other days in the week. So far have lost 4lb since 5th February so on target for my 1.5-2lb loss a week so far.

Not sure if you can add me to the list but as there are 7 weeks to go until 31 March I think I will be aiming for a 14lb loss by then, already lost 4lb. Lots of occasions between now and then, a 70th birthday party, a holiday to France, two theatre trips to London and meals out to trip me up but if I wait for the calendar to clear I will never do this.

I am using nutracheck to count calories, I know my fitness pal is free and I think I will go on to that but I have paid upfront for the year so will stick to nutracheck which also shows my steps on my fitbit. I like the scanning facility to quickcheck calorie counts.

Today I had 2 Weetabix with 100g of green and black grapes and skimmed milk for breakfast.

Lunch was a ham salad with one slice of wholemeal bread.

Snacks so far are an alpen light bar, banana and clementine. I have a bad cold so only done 5k steps today.

Dinner tonight will be chicken and vegetable stir fry in black bean sauce. DH will get rice or noodles with his.

I am drinking loads of water too and trying to resist biscuits, cake, crisps, chocolate altogether. Am also going to phase out low fat yogurt and cereal bars on the grounds they are high in sugar. My nutracheck diet analysis is coming up usually balanced each day except for sugar and I think these are the culprits plus too much fruit. I have loads of cereal bars and yogurts in the cupboard/fridge though so will use them up first and account for them in my calorie counter.

Any tips for cooking for 2 when one is watching their weight and the other can eat whatever they want? DH buys his own high calorie snacks now so I am not tempted and I just tell him what I am cooking for me and sometimes he will have the same and sometimes he will cook his own. We are both retired so he has as much spare time as me so I feel I am justified in making him cook his own tea sometimes if he does not fancy mine ;)

Final calorie count was 1189 so under by 211. Steps were only 5005 though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,631 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 February 2019 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I know I should not weigh every day but I have lost 1 more pound so am now up to -5lb lost out of a target of 14lb 9 more to go.

Have a good day. Food shopping for me and my cold is almost gone :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Hello everyone

Well done on everyone who lost weight this week!

I have a loss of 0.7kg and am happy with it after it looked like a gain or sts mid-week. I basically ran to the scales this morning to check :-)
    I plan on thinking about my dream wardrobe to keep me motivated as I struggle to find clothes I like that fit me as well. So for every half a kilo I lose I can think of another item I'd love to have in my dream wardrobe. Hopefully, once I will need smaller clothes this will then serve as inspiration of what to buy.

enthusiasticsaver maybe you could cook things that don't have too many calories and your OH can add something to his serving later. Say you make a soup and he adds bacon to his serving. Or you have the soup with bread and butter and he has a cheese sarnie.

Cranky stitching or knitting is actually a great diet :-) My Mum starts knitting the second she puts her fork down to stop her from taking another helping or snacking on this and that...

I too spent most of my adult life dealing with my weight... i was always a bit chubby, went down to normal weight when I was about 16 due to health problem but that weight then came back.... About 5 years later I lost it all again but gained it again for no particular reason....

I just came home from a crazy swim. I wanted to go swimming for an hour, but when it was time to go I thought I could add another 15 minutes. In the end it was one hour and 45 min! And since it is such lovely weather I might also go for a walk later on.

My plan for today

B bread with juniper jam (sounds strange, but is absolutely lovely, slightly more a syrup than a jam)
    L leek and potato soup, bread with butter, cheese and some pickled cucumbers
    D potatos with cottage cheese, pepper and broccoli
    S orange, apple, ice cream

Have a lovely weekend everyone!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    enthusiasticsaver maybe you could cook things that don't have too many calories and your OH can add something to his serving later. Say you make a soup and he adds bacon to his serving. Or you have the soup with bread and butter and he has a cheese sarnie.

Congrats on the 0.7kg loss and awesome amount of exercise today. I think about new clothes too when dieting but will not buy until I go down at least one dress size.

Thanks Ricarda for advice about DHs meals and that is what I have been doing. Adding extra to his meals, like extra bread and butter or butter on veg etc. Bacon in soup is a good idea. He also has a snack cupboard in his hobby room and I made him come food shopping this morning so I could avoid the aisles with all the naughty biscuits, cakes, crisps etc.

I have been feeling quite hungry the last few days so have been aiming for more protein to fill me up. Probably something to do with all the steps/exercise I have been doing except for yesterday when my cold laid me up more than usual. Strangely it seems to have almost gone today so I think a good nights sleep combined with the extra fruit and water have flushed it out of my system.

Breakfast was 2 Weetabix with skimmed milk and a small banana

Lunch was a mushroom, ham and lactose free cheese omelette shared with DH with one slice of wm bread and salad.

Dinner was a Linda McCartney mozzarella veggie burger with sweet potato chips (baked with frylight) and veggies.

Snacks were clementine, pear, handful of mixed nuts and a yogurt.

Total calories for the day are 1267 and steps for the day 11,844 as I did a long walk this morning.

Looking after granddaughters tomorrow afternoon/evening and Monday so will see how many steps I manage then.

Have a good evening everyone.
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning

STS this week. It is time of month and I normally gain so I can’t be too disappointed but would have liked a loss. Onwards and upwards:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure