PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy Birthday DD, sounds like you're celebrating in some style!! x

Might be hard to gather 5 pleasures today, a very tricky day in some ways....

1. Sunshine

2. We needed to get out, so we went for a drive, which then turned into a trip to a village fair, complete with ginormous vegetables and beautiful flowers in a marquee :)

3. Yummy icecream

4. Bought DD a beautiful scarf she fell in love with...mainly to cheer her up as I doubt she'll ever wear it...but apparently, we're going to share it :)

5. Being able to offload to KW.

Phew, managed it. Tough times on the home front...
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2017 at 8:09AM
    Options
    Hasn't the weather been beautiful again? Love it, love it, love it.

DD - v. Happy Birthday. Congregation in song sounds phab:-). We do it too, but v. feeble in number and only one trained professional voice.
    Ancient our stones be: Cathedral we ain't. Is Mr Piano back yet?
    Kindly describe any/all up close and personal cake moments.
    #
    1. No idea how/when, but v. welcome £10 x 2 just found, folded and tucked beneath multi-plug rig under &'s bed. Prob. after v.late hour i.e. v. early hour, rtn from Spits. There are times & just autopilot tumbles into bed, takings uncounted.

2. Also found, hidden in plain sight, more anti-cat toilet garden granules. Knew I'd paid for them at Scotsdales, but couldn't find them all week. They've just jumped out from who knows where. Night-time sprinkling after this. & loves animals, but going out front to fly-crawling pooh stacks on lawn, on soil, is NOT a joy.

3. Wasn't going to, but did - town of horse car boot. 3 things.
    - o.k. vintage damascene-finish Japanese 3-tone 24K gold/silver inlay niello card case, with sea dragon and Mt Fuji, signed.
    - a 1935 Elkington curiosity with early Peters Patent 13465 - campaign version of a moustache rim cup overlay.
    - inscribed WWII tank action photo, large, framed.

4. Gary kindly suggested these for stay near Orslev Kloster:
    -1. In the monastery's old beech woods we built a specialized and free shelter and toilet, that anyone can use free of charge. See it here
    http://udinaturen.dk/facilitet/Kvindsnapskoven-ved-%C3%98rslev-Kloster/15826

-2. There is a camp site 6 km. away, that has small holiday huts. See them here.
    ttp://www.lundøstrandcamping.dk/lille_hytte

-3. There is a local nice B+B just 2km down the road. See it here
    So, quite a lot of dansk translation early. Another phone msg and em to no.2. Await reply:-)
    & fancies beach hut, please.

5. Thanks to elswhere grauniad linky<Frith, for this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyqrX4ySvKg

& should be back in albion by then. Looks very NZy fun:-)
    #
    Surbiton demain for Yes, another SMC night :-), inc. workshop:
    Spooky Men's Chorale @St Andrew's Church, Surbiton.
    CS recce to be factored in. Looks like Victoria Street.
    & and Surbiton are strangers to each other.

Pleased Lewis Hamilton won. Sad for windies - so many dropped catches.
    #
    Bonne nuit.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• milasavesmoney
    Options
    * Talk with OH went well this morning. I had calmed down to a reasonably normal voice pitch. He can't >hear< me is I don't do this and just goes into defense mode. This is something I learned dealing with my son's Aspergers. I suppose most of us respond better to calm reasoning and not well to yelling and name calling...yes I was to the point of name calling. An old dog can learn new relationship strategies. :D

* Steak fingers and onion rings for breakfast. I brought most of it home and have been nibbling throughout the day.

* Getting to look up fab new word. "Dreechness" Thankyou DD

* The heart tugging stories of the people of south Texas pulling together and rising to the occasion.
    We were glued to the TV last night and this morning. DD2 is my stepdaughter and her mom was sequestered in the hospital she works at in Houston. It is north of the city so did not need to be evacuated but all personnel had to stay. No one knows for how long because many of the employees can't get in for relief. Emergency disaster protocol orders that hospital staff stays.

* Keeping a new set of granddawgs. Good girls. (as long as no one throws up on the rug again) DD2 drove back home and tomorrow will drive to Albuquerque to start the process of a work dispute claim.
    Her mom sent flowers and Trisha left them with me. Hurray! (Plus, two orchard blossoms still hanging in there...of my own flowers)

* Driving through town and smelling green chile being roasted. There is nothing that makes a New Mexican's heart jump and sing like that aroma! :j
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0OdDaXq5tFg

* Sassy three year olds. Quoye's mom has been encountering such behavior from my "perfect" granddaughter. As this generation of parents do not swat bottoms, she is having to work on correction strategies that Sequoia will respond well to, and currently it is a star work chart. Not sure how long it will work but it's working right now. Ah, the reward system.... Quoye can read all the jobs on the chart so she knows where to put the stars. Smartie girl.
    I must say the reward system works well for me too. :beer:

* Cooler days. Heavenly!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • bagpuss38
    bagpuss38 Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options
    Monday pleasures

1. Glorious sunny morning in London
    2.Trip to sealife centre abandoned as mummy muddled her t*sco vouchers. Pleasure being a happy wander down by the river and a treasure trove of free activities that included Lego building and rooms with walls made of water. Just the thing to splash around in to cool down.
    3. Spending the day with my little loves, with both graduating on to bigger things one to juniors and one to secondary I realise the sands of time are marching on their childhood. Will enjoy those little hands in mine for as long as possible :)
    4. Fab chicken stew for tea made from the reminants of yesterday's roast.
    5. Fun evening playing cards sitting the garden with the family
    Night all xx
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11:eek:
    Very BNPL - £353.00:o
  • Happy Birthday DD, that Gerkind Sarnie seems a bit ... PM2DD All is not well on the forms at the fishy! Nor at Arsenal. Not my week!
    Mhags. Snorkers. Had a three snorker fest on SatNite!
    Apologies for lack of pics and rittings at weekend, MSE sees fit that our pc is not able to get onto this! But hey, and we are making hay, down at the mill, you cannot stop the BoP!

5 Was inn town of Sunday. Well was all over the place, down inn Somerset and then town. Well the people who won’t be here next weekend made a bit of a mess. They had the so called food festival as well, you know it as the greasy spoon! Chips with everything! Most of it thrown on the floor in some self luvving over exuberance . So much for correcting the world, but wasting food is not high on BoP’s list! Then when you look at the food so called proffered, you can understand why it is wasted! Pulled pork, Smoky barbeque, wood fired cheese on toast. Cheap carp at extortion prices!

Then the plastic artisan pub, the one BoP walked out of some weeks back because they did not have proper ale, was serving people in plastic glasses! Not the stable ones, but the ones found in the drinks machine at the swimming baths! Still, our local held its own, as it is probably not artisan enough for the day trippers who munch on carp food! At least the day trippers visit will be over for another year and I can go back! Now some of yous ask why I do not support this fest! Well, the ones supplying the food, are not local and they will not be here next weekend! My local will be. The same as the cheese truck, who comes local.

4 After that, yesterday I went at it hammer and tongs. Fitted all the nice things into the bathrooms, like towel rails and bog roll holders. Years ago it was easy as we only had one bath, that was tin and sat in front of fire! Now BoP has three! Palatial! Or what! Looks good anyway.

3 And while doing that, Raffles who lives up to his name, managed to get himself locked in neighbours shed yesterday! He’s ok after his adventure, time enuff at home to get watered and fed then off again. The protected newts in the pond are again at risk! We pay his veterinary bills!

BoPsie is recovering!

You’d have thought that they would had learned by now!

2 Nite as usual, viewing is recommended. BoP will be in his beach ready look down at the gym! Mila has glasses if you’re wanting them!

There’s going to be a lot more tomorrow!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bedtime ...rather past bedtime & was sleeping but DD1 didn't have her key...

Early for work.
    Met Canadian friend . Had a very nice lactose free hot chocolate.

Home to the land of the great piles. Took many bags to salvos, sold a hedge trimmer, some candle holders, gave away a free table ( all pending collection ) neighbours popped in and bought a china duck ( egg basket) and when I said could have some tools for free , scooped them all in a box, would have the free set of shelves we'd just put out and the bar stools!

Washed all my garden pots I'm taking home. Ended up soaking.

Washed the dog...ended up wetter.

Dog walks centred round dropping off stuff at salvos. Many times.

Cleaned oven & oven trays...even more soggy.

Changed into dry clothes to go & see psychologist !

Tomorrow is indeed another day:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) Boxes of apples round the village saying 'free - please take' so we got some from across the road yesterday and this morning I've made and potted up 7 jars of lovely spicy apple chutney. Go another 6 lbs of Bramleys this afternoon from a different source and 6 kilos of wildings from our Cookie walk which will make a big batch of apple jelly after the juice has been extracted overnight tonight.

2) Who Knows managed the whole walk with us this afternoon and isn't blitzed now we're home, progress!

3) Washing dry outside, perhaps for the last time for a while as the week is forecast to be wet.

4) Maisie doggie coming to us this evening.

5) Several possible houses on the market near DD1 which we'll go and look at when He Who Knows can drive again.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Belated Birthday wishes for DD, Lainey's pressie to you is our lovely Lukey Berry :)

Monday pleasures,

Another scorching hot day, summer dresses back out!

Breakfast in the garden.

Took Tilly dog and had a look round Quy country fair, my it was warm and bit busy so we watched a little of the heavy horses and then scampered for home.

Arranged with friend that we will be picking the lovely mare up on the 7th, countdown begins :)

GOT finale, oh Jon where's your wall gone matey??
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2017 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Reporting live, St Andrew's, Surbiton.

Dreadful area to get to. Maybe anywhere is from Fenny places.

Saving graces:

1. Legally parked v.nearby.

2. Emporium ditto. Qualifying purchase of 'nanas. Cuppy ready for free cappuccino entre workshop and concert.

3. Bill Nighy.

4. Brett Westwood's latest Natural Histories was LICE. Another fantastic prog. Helped the cauchemar drive hugely. ...as did osp3. It strains for effect a bit, but & can cope:-)

5. Windies are doing their darnedest. & is pleased. Hearing Fazeer on Worrell, too. What just and knowledgeable passion! ...... Will they manage? &'ll learn outcome later.
    ~
    Methinks we start to sing in a mo. St Andrew's has a kitchen, & sees. Will recharge water bottle while I can.
    Toodlepip.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• bagpuss38
    bagpuss38 Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options
    LaineyT wrote: »

GOT finale, oh Jon where's your wall gone matey??

Vanished like danys resistance 😉
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11:eek:
    Very BNPL - £353.00:o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family