Day in the Life of Bob - hiring a weekly cleaner

Options

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am disabled and some of the family are wanting me to get a cleaner but after what you had to put up with I definately won't.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    I am disabled and some of the family are wanting me to get a cleaner but after what you had to put up with I definately won't.

Don't be put off by one person's bad experience. And reading his posts Bob does seem very unlucky with things that go on in his life

I have had the same cleaner for over ten years and she is great. She is now a friend. She has the key and often cleans when I am not here - and feeds the cat if I am away for the weekend. I have had no problems at all with her over all that time.

The key is in choosing the right person. If you family think you should get a cleaner go ahead. I can only say that having one is great. It's made my life easier
  • bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2019 at 4:11PM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Don't be put off by one person's bad experience. And reading his posts Bob does seem very unlucky with things that go on in his life

I have had the same cleaner for over ten years and she is great. She is now a friend. She has the key and often cleans when I am not here - and feeds the cat if I am away for the weekend. I have had no problems at all with her over all that time.

The key is in choosing the right person. If you family think you should get a cleaner go ahead. I can only say that having one is great. It's made my life easier

I only post the most bizarre things that happen in my life (at least that I consider bizarre), but they are true stories unfortunately. :o There are plenty more that I don't write about!

You're right not to be put off by one experience of one person, but also I'd say that finding decent trustworthy cleaners are very hard these days- my family found one and stuck with her for years... even begged her to stay! It's that hard to find one. If you're lucky enough to have found one first time, that doesn't mean they're necessarily easy to find- you could have struck gold.

Finding decent help does make life massively easier- that's why even with all these bad experiences I know I have to keep looking until I find one. I found an amazing builder, but he's probably one in a million- and not without his faults. He's relatively reliable which is a rare commodity these days.

I think that people who don't have regular contacts but are are actively doing a lot tend to get let down more often than not- no matter how much people try to spin a positive on everything. When I was working 9-5 and spent evenings & weekends relaxing, far less went wrong, because I was exposed to less. One good thing to do in life is to simplify- it exposes us to less stressful situations. A story about a reliable guy wouldn't be as amusing but perhaps I'll try writing about that experience one day?!
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2019 at 5:53AM
    Options
    Thanks for the reply

My original post was trying to encourage grunnie not to decide against a cleaner based on one post on the internet.

I referenced your bad luck because you do seem to have had a lot of trouble with cleaners, lodgers, tradesmen and various other things you have started topics on. Whether or not you have a very full life and you only tell us about the most bizarre happenings I still feel you are a bit out of the norm - as are your weight of unfortunate experiences.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you a blogger Bob?

You could write a book, in your spare time :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • bobwilson
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    Whether or not you have a very full life and you only tell us about the most bizarre happenings I still feel you are a bit out of the norm - as are your weight of unfortunate experiences.

In fact, the rate at which I have bad luck is probably similar to most- the only difference is due to the life conditions I described above, I experience more, so for example 40% of 10 is 4, but 40% of 20 is 8.
  • bobwilson
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Are you a blogger Bob?

You could write a book, in your spare time :-)

I don't think anyone would read it!
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bobwilson wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would read it!
    I would :rotfl:
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bobwilson wrote: »
    I do a lot in my life, some people say I live the life of several people rolled into one- I've moved home so many times & lived in so many different areas & varied cultures, done extensions or hired professionals for so many tasks, and done many of them myself.. but also I've had many different types of careers & jobs... In some of my 'work at home jobs' I do live 100% of my time in the local area and have to integrate (where most people only work 9-5 at work then experience evenings at home doing nothing)- so I am exposed to a lot more in society than your average Joe. Each day is different. Most people would perhaps live in one or two houses in their lives, or extend their home once to accommodate family. Alas I seem to have had to do these things many more times than most !

I think you seem a bit delusional thinking you have experienced a lot more in your life than most.

You think people only live in one or two houses their entire life :rotfl: . If someone only lived in two houses their entire life that would be their family home then they would move out into a house that they would live the rest of their entire life?. This would be extremely rare and most people move many more times than that.

I was reading up about "Sonder" recently and that is defined as "the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own".

It seems you haven't experienced that yet.
  • bobwilson
    edited 25 June 2019 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    I think you seem a bit delusional... You think people only live in one or two houses their entire life :rotfl:. I was reading up about "Sonder" recently and that is defined as "the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own". It seems you haven't experienced that yet.

Thanks for your post! :D Lovely & added a sense of positivity to my day. :)

I didn't say "only", I said "perhaps".

I didn't mean everyone literally moves 2 times in their lifetimes. Perhaps I should have applied to the detail police for that figure, before being so thoughtless to post it on the 'rants' part of an online forum? You're right, I'm delusional! Okay.. correction coming up:

According to the independent (I hear you saying "not a reliable source", thank you in advance):
    "On average, people typically move three more times before they are 45"

Plenty more figures on there, of which my personal figures would appear to be around ten times..

I have never accused a stranger I don't know of being 'delusional' on a forum yet in my life- so in this regard, you've experienced more than me. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure