Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 November 2018 at 1:43PM
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Looks like another gentle autumn day so I shall go for a walk later.

I have given myself a facial this morning in readiness for a nice evening out at my favourite restaurant tonight. Will do my nails later.

Yes still pleased with my hair, in fact I've already booked my pre Christmas cut for the week before Christmas at the same salon and with the same stylist.

Well the good news is I have lost 1.1 lbs and the even better news is my blood sugars are starting to come down nicely. Still not normal but now safely within the pre-diabetes range, no longer hovering on the edge of full blown diabetes. I'm pleased but not complacent. I want them back down to normal ASAP. I want to completely reverse the process.

I shall have to be very careful on the cruise not to regain too much weight but as it's only 14 days this time I should be ok. I am doing a version of 16:8 at the moment, fasting for 16 hours and eating within a 8 hour window. That should be doable on the days we are at sea. And of course I can make sensible food choices. It's the port days that can be tricky.

I have been allocated a late sitting for dinner which I do prefer as it stops me getting an attack of the evening munchies. So skip breakfast, just lunch and then dinner, followed by a show then dancing to burn off a few calories. :rotfl: not quite within an 8 hour window so probably more like 14:10.

The fasting is not to lose weight as such (that's a welcome by product) but it's the fasting which helps bring the blood sugar levels down.

Then after Christmas I will up my game and combine 5:2 with 16:8 and see if I can not only continue to lose weight but completely reboot my system and actually reverse the diabetes.

Apparently there is a fancy dress night on this cruise. The theme is Britain so I've ordered a 60s "Mod Outfit". Mini dress, with a Union Jack motif, matching Beatle cap, and white tights (remember those). :rotfl: Should be fun.

Humpty I once went through a period when my weight dropped to 7stone 2lbs. I am 5ft 7. My doctor kept nagging me to put weight on. Like you I really tried but I just couldn't gain weight. I was eating like a horse and like you resorting to loads of chips and cream cakes (which I don't even like). In myself I felt fine. All that food made me gag so I simply stopped force feeding myself.

In the end I figured well if this what I'm supposed to weigh then so be it. Even back then I knew about my family history of diabetes, it runs through the female line. My mum had already been diagnosed and I decided it was better to be a bit skinny than to risk triggering diabetes myself by overdosing on fried foods and sweet stuff.

I did eventually regain weight, took about a year, and then I remained at 8st 7 for years but it wasn't by stuffing myself. Still a bit on the low side but my doctor was a bit happier. I think My body just found its own level by itself. You may find your weight will stabilise in due course.

I would advise you to eat for nutrition rather than just weight gain. Make the calories count. No point stuffing yourself with empty calories and feeling uncomfortable.

What's your muscle tone like. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. Could you be losing too much muscle. What about bone density. If you are losing too much bone density that will also show on the scales. We need body fat yes, but it's only part of the story. Resistance training will help you build up muscle and slow down loss of bone density.

I can remember when I was skinny my doctor suggested a tonic. I think it was called "Minadex". Or something. It was supposed to contain essential vitamins, nutrients and minerals. I took it, I don't know if it made a difference because as I say I never felt ill to begin with. :D.

A good multivitamin might not be a bad idea.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 4:56PM
    Options
    Hi people, sorry i have not posted for a while, been busy with a problem with my tenant (now ex-tenant).

On the subject of fabbing, we decided our front room needed a 'feature wall' of wallpaper. We wanted something a bit 'old fashioned-y' for our 1930s bungalow. We chose something quite 'shabby chic' in taupe.

I didn't know whether to be pleased or upset when I saw exactly the same wallpaper in a stately home in an episode of Poirot!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [QUOTE=seven-day-weekend;75027

On the subject of fabbing, we decided our front room needed a 'feature wall' of wallpaper. We wanted something a bit 'old fashioned-y' for our 1930s bungalow. We chose something quite 'shabby chic' in taupe.

I didn't know whether to be pleased or upset when I saw exactly the same wallpaper in a stately home in an episode of Poirot![/QUOTE]

I think you've got it spot on SDW!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't know whether to be pleased or upset when I saw exactly the same wallpaper in a stately home in an episode of Poirot!

I agree. If the set designers doing the period features for Poirot chose it then you're in good company!:T

I've only been on one cruise LL but I found it best to have a good breakfast and then when I was ashore I rarely needed to eat much perhaps just stop for a drink. Generally at breakfast (and the same applies to hotels here) it's easy to eat quite healthily. I generally have bacon, beans, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and plenty of fruit to start. When you're in Lisbon I'd avoid those custard tarts!:D

You're so wise to be tackling the blood sugars and avoiding diabetes. I know being overweight isn't the only cause but for many people Type 2 is avoidable. It's had wide press coverage today.

I'm still suffering with sinus headaches:(. I haven't had a cold but I recognise the pain. It could be to do with air pressure or central heating. It's worse in the mornings but I'm coping by dosing myself up with painkillers and Sudafed but it makes me feel heavy eyed. Hope all the poorlies get to feel better soon.:)

Not much fabbing today. All I've really done is my meal plan and shop. I went to Lidl as I had a voucher to use:money: but I much prefer Aldi. Aside from the range of food, their checkouts are much more efficient. I suppose I'm lucky that I have a choice of supermarkets.:)
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    It is a miserable damp cold and flu season with runny noses and stuffy heads. I have a lingering cold and feel blah also. Not much can be done but keep hydrated and motor on through it.
    When you feel blah it feels like fabbing is secondary to the getting up. I hate applying make up when full of colds and bugs as i feel the creams will be contaminated. I use up ransom testers and accept not ideal skincare to prevent my moisturizer becoming a petri dish.

I popped in lidl this evening and was rather impressed with the wild rose range- great ingredients for a great price. I like the good selection of pantry basics. it reminds me of sometime it was remarked that i had no food but ingredients in the cupboard.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Maman. Your suggestion of a really good breakfast on shore days is great idea. Obviously I won't be able to stick to my fasting and my 8 hour window for eating but a few days shouldn't set me back too much on my quest to reduce my blood sugar levels.

When I'm at home That is exactly what I eat for breakfast most days although as I'm fasting I make it brunch rather than an early breakfast.

A traditional English breakfast, minus the toast, is perfect for me both as paleo and for reducing blood sugar levels. Lots of protein and carbs in the form of vegetables - mushrooms, tomatoes, sometimes spinach.

I am not eating much fruit at the moment, just berries with natural yoghurt and the occasional couple of clementines. Again just trying to avoid additional sugars. Fruits such as grapes and bananas are just too high in sugar.

Luckily I don't really have a sweet tooth as such, so I don't find it difficult to avoid cakes, pastries etc. I don't miss puddings so I can quite happily avoid the Lisbon tarts. :rotfl: even though they are delicious.

My meal tonight was lovely. I had just one spoon of my sons sticky toffee pudding. I did indulge in a couple of glasses of Prosecco though. :D

SFT. Speaking with my beauticians hat on here. By rights we should never just dip our fingers into our creams and potions, even when we are well, although of course we all do it when it's just for ourselves but you will notice that in a salon they always use a spatula to avoid contamination. You can buy packs of them off amazon, they don't cost much.

In the meantime a small teaspoon or even a knife would be fine.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Maman......re the sinus headaches.....horrible aren't they. Is the air too dry with the central heating....maybe a couple of little bowls of water dotted around might help.

I always take a humidifer with me when I travel because air con gives me sinus headaches, nosebleeds and a nasty cough. A humidifier really stops all that.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, all. We're both full of colds, too. OH kept me awake with his snorting, now my sinuses feel like concrete.

The only fabbing today will be in cosy socks and sweaters.

I bought another three Boots serums thus week. I'm not sure they're worth the expense, though. Any recommendations for cheaper serums?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Pollypenny I ran out of the serum I use and my skin felt so dry I used flaxseed oil, I take it as doctor recommended it for my dry eyes. I won't be buying serum again, the flaxseed oil has been wonderful, I only use it at night and it soaks in really fast, I leave it for about half an hour before I put cream on. I don't think it is a very nice smell so I put a drop of lavender oil with it. I'm generally happy with my facial skin for my age but my decollete wasn't great (I guess I didn't protect it enough in the past) and it has really improved and "matches" my face much better now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the humidifier advice LL. I suffer with air con too, not just sinuses but eyes.

pollypenny wrote: »
    I bought another three Boots serums thus week. I'm not sure they're worth the expense, though. Any recommendations for cheaper serums?

I moved from Boots serum to Clarins which is probably even more expensive!:eek: but I love the feeling of nourishing my skin with the oil. humpty, are you still cracking open the capsules or can you buy the oil? I'd like to give it a try.

Just wanted to flag up that if anyone is thinking of a beauty treat to themselves for Christmas or making their list for Santa, the special packs can be really good value.

I'm going to get this one as I use the eye cream so it's well worth it.

https://www.boots.com/clinique-limited-edition-must-have-set-10257479

Benefit have also got my moisturiser in a gift set so all the extras are 'free'. And buying in Boots gives you the points too which are very generous.:) Oh and I just noticed a £10 points offer online!:T

I've had a CBA shower this morning. I did no creaming but my face.:o I am going out in the rain to watch football so my hair will probably get wrecked and I'll have to start all over again! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure