MSE News: Plusnet to increase broadband prices

Options

Comments

• hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Plusnet have price matched the cheapest offer including cashback every year for me.

I rang them last night, (6 months left on my contract) and now pay £29 per month for 38mb broadband, line rental and unlimited calls to uk landlines and mobile phones. They effectively matched the bt offer taking into account £150 cashback that BT were offering yesterday.
    I had been paying £34.99 as that was the best I could get this time last year.

The guy I spoke to stated he couldn't give me the cashback but was happy to knock the £150 off the monthly charge over 18 months for broadband which is effectively the same.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Last year they matched my current offer, though up front rental was up £12, but I was told they couldn't offer the cashback they paid before, giving free caller display instead, but someone after me did get the equivalent of the £40 or £50.

Last year,when there was a price increase, my free broadband stayed the same (or maybe the increase then was for line,which was pre-paid).

However, when there was anything free from Sky it stayed free after an increase.

I think you could argue your case for this, as someone told that a normally £10 item will cost them £5 should understand that it's a 50% reduction that is promised, so a £1 increase would mean paying £5.50.However, 'free' is a 100% discount so should stay free.
  • teddysmum
    edited 6 April 2018 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Reading details of the increases, it appears that caller display will decrease to free and people are invited to pre-book it so it's effective from the 'increase' date.

With other companies when there has been an increase you had a message giving the full price increase, but only actually paid your discounted percentage of the increase, so I wonder whether those with free ADSL will get a letter stating a £1 increase, but will not be charged it. call centre people do not always give the correct information.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    After 1st October, ISPs will not be able to charge for Caller Display.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7826-ofcom-moves-to-ban-charging-for-caller-display-options-in-2018
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    After 1st October, ISPs will not be able to charge for Caller Display.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7826-ofcom-moves-to-ban-charging-for-caller-display-options-in-2018
    So they aren't being generous. What a surprise.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I pay for caller display so my bill should only go up by 1p.

Only 8 months into an 18 month contract paying £6.99 for 38mb fibre + caller display with LRS for first 12 months. I also got £70 TCB. Unless I see a good deal elsewhere with cash back then I'll probably stay.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve yet to ring plusnet to try and negotiate a reduction. Two other providers are slight cheaper at present than plusnet. First utility and post office. Does anyone rate either?
  • rusty_f
    rusty_f Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Has everyone received their notification now, or do they do it in phases? I haven't received any notification yet - my service went live in January so I should be affected.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    rusty_f wrote: »
    Has everyone received their notification now, or do they do it in phases? I haven't received any notification yet - my service went live in January so I should be affected.

I haven't yet, and I moved to them in December. It's normal for it to happen in stages. Just spend the time hunting out the best deal!
  • NittyGritty
    NittyGritty Posts: 940 Forumite
    Options
    received my notifaction by email this morning (9th april)

and have just signed up to now tv 38mb fibre deal £20 plus £70 cashback from quidco

all in all decent deal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport