MSE News: Plusnet to increase broadband prices

Options
Plusnet has warned some customers it's raising broadband prices by £12 a year in June - and call costs will be going up too...
Read the full story:
'Plusnet to increase broadband prices'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• NittyGritty
    NittyGritty Posts: 940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 April 2018 at 11:50AM
    Options
    hi I, with plusnet, paid my line rental upfront for the year (line rental saver)

I currently have free broadband, but live chat on plusnet just said "it will add £1 to the cost of your broadband each month. Where broadband is free for the period of the contact. you would then be paying £1 per month"

my question is can I leave penalty free?

and also do I get a refund on the months unused line rental saver? if I switch elsewhere?

as I cant see anything about a refund in the terms, yet I,m sure I saw something similer with BT when they had to refund line rental saver if someone left due to price rise

UPDATE 11.40AM.....

just had a further chat with plusnet and they have confirmed I will get a full refund on the remaining months unsed, I should get a letter on the 9th of april about the price increases and have 30 days from then to switch free of charge, should I wish too
    looks like its quidco or topcashback it is then
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2018 at 11:53AM
    Options
    Yes, you may leave penalty free if you inform them, by phone, that you are leaving bcause of the price increase. I think you usually have to tell them within 30 days after receiving the notifiction. It's in the MSE article too.
    Although PN do state that LRS is not refundable in the ts and cs, I'm fairly sure they have to because of an OFCOM ruling and they have done if pushed. Not 100% sure about that OFCOM thing though.
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    yeah you get LRS refunded also just been confirmed by live chat so that's a plus
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Refund of line rental saver because of a broadband price increase? Is this because you can't have PN phone without b/band ?
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    yeah you get LRS refunded also just been confirmed by live chat so that's a plus

Thanks for confirming. I will be reviewing my options when I receive the e-mail. I've been with them for years, Madasafish included, but they have seriously gone downhill with their chase to the bottom in competition with TalkTalk.:(
  • NittyGritty
    edited 6 April 2018 at 12:34PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Refund of line rental saver because of a broadband price increase? Is this because you can't have PN phone without b/band ?

its part of the package, you have the right to cancel if they raise prices, as such I get my line rental back (remaining months unused)

I paid upfront (line rental saver) when I bought my broadband deal (even tho it was broadband was free at time) but they raising it by a £1 which gives me option to leave free of charge

so I,m looking to switch elsewhere and use topcashback or quidco to cash in
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i've always found plusnet good. However, if the is a cheaper and as good service elsewhere - why pay more.
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    unless your isp offers you a good retention deal when your contract is up/price hikes comes along

its nearly ALWAYS cheaper (when you factor in cashback) to just switch and get cashback with quidco or topcashback and move to another isp

I do this nearly every year when my contract is up , or in this case when a price hike comes along

personally ive been with plusnet on n off for years, in between sky, I wouldn't touch Talktalk from personal experience
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plusnet have price matched the cheapest offer including cashback every year for me.
  • Danger_Fourpence
    Options
    First price rise in the 5 years I've been with them for Fibre only. Service has been solid, CS decent enough. Line has got faster over time too.

In all honesty I don't begrudge it going up a quid a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure