MSE News: Plusnet to increase broadband prices

Options

Comments

• dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just received the price increase email.

I currently pay £17.49/month for fibre broadband only (I ditched my copper landline and use VOIP).
    For me, an extra £1/month represents an increase of almost 6% which is quite significant.

The email makes the following claims for the improvements I will get for the price increase:-
    • Our superfast fibre broadband is even faster - we’ve increased upload speeds from up to 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps (that’s 5 x faster).
    The upload speed increase was actually carried out in November 2017.
    • We’re boosting our UK customer service team - there will be even more friendly, helpful people on hand to help.
    I think Plusnet customer service deteriorated some time ago when they stopped support by email. These days, you get better support from the customer forum than the support staff.
    • Our Caller Display will be free for everyone - so you’ll be able to see who’s calling.
    Irrelevant as I use a separate VOIP supplier. They have always provided caller id 'for free' as part of the package.

I will probably stick with them as I have had no problems with the FTTP service and they are still cheaper than BT.
  • rovers86
    rovers86 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just left due to this, gone with EE £29 a month extra 5gb data for phone and £100 gift card coming , cheers mse !!
    Debt free Feb 2020 😍
  • hsbcarter_2
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    If you mean MAC, then there hasn't been a requirement for that for a while. Switching is all gaining provider led now. But that isn't what activates the charge.

The £30 cessation charge that Plusnet levy is if you don't switch to another Openreach based ISP (like Virgin), or cancel the broadband completely. So if you move to Sky for example, then there is no charge anyway.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Amazingly though its not in their stand T's and C's and I have just argued successfully that they can't apply to me. I have just left with no other provider in mind. It took 20 mins of arguing though!
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 April 2018 at 12:11PM
    Options
    hsbcarter wrote: »
    Amazingly though its not in their stand T's and C's and I have just argued successfully that they can't apply to me. I have just left with no other provider in mind. It took 20 mins of arguing though!

Unless you plan to access BB another way rather than through your landline, that could be a bad move. If you get cut off it can take a couple of weeks to get up and running again, it's not an instant reconnection. If you decide on your new provider before that point, you will have to call Plusnet again anyway to cancel the cancellation I believe as another ISP cannot take over the line.

Was there a particular reason you didn't find another provider first?

Edit: It IS actually in their Ts&Cs, but it could be that they can't charge it due to the price rises, the same way ISP's tend to argue long and hard about denying people refunds on LRS!

10. Ending your agreement
    10.1. Where our agreement ends (even after the expiry of any minimum term) you may be charged a "cessation fee" as set out in the Price Guide where:

10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;
  • K.S.
    K.S. Posts: 78 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2018 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Just got the email too, they're offering up to 38 for £27.50 even though i'm paying £29.99 for 55/10 right now (2nd contract, 2 years). After talking to a rep on the forum they suggested phoning Plusnet for a new deal on my package they call "legacy".

MSE currently have a Virgin deal, 100/6 for effectively £24 a month, though this deal will expire in a few days, seriously tempted to jump ship.
  • otbc.ncfc
    otbc.ncfc Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm wanting to leave but they're pushing a £30 fee on me, 'cease fee'...is this fair? It doesn't seem fair that they'd penalise you for leaving (under your statutory right) due to a mid-term increase...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    otbc.ncfc wrote: »
    I'm wanting to leave but they're pushing a £30 fee on me, 'cease fee'...is this fair? It doesn't seem fair that they'd penalise you for leaving (under your statutory right) due to a mid-term increase...

Unless this was your intention, you tell them you're changing providers due to the price rise, not cancelling the service.
    10. Ending your agreement
    10.1. Where our agreement ends (even after the expiry of any minimum term) you may be charged a "cessation fee" as set out in the Price Guide where:

10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;
  • otbc.ncfc
    otbc.ncfc Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless this was your intention, you tell them you're changing providers due to the price rise, not cancelling the service.

It's my intention to cancel entirely rather than switch...
  • K.S.
    K.S. Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    I told plusnet i was changing and got a £30 cessation fee which was discounted slightly to £22.07 as it's due to finish cancelling a week before my next bill was due, is this what should happen normally?
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is going up by £1 a month, but after a generous gesture by Plusnet when they could not gurantee my max. speeds, I will stay with them. They reduced my BB charge significantly.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family