PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Have just made Chilli Con Carne for the first time (don't do spice very well) and hubby LOOOOVED it (Link is to recipe from "How to feed your family........" book). There is a big pot left for tomorrow and load for freezing

Next time you make it Den, you could make the big batch without chilli powder/cumin and just add it to his portion that way you could both enjoy it :p

One of the reasons that I dont like that book is that recipe says to use 1KG mince for 8 servings:eek: but my recipe ;) uses 500g mince for 9 servings :A (or 12 if you add lentils ;))

I know a lot of people on here have found it to be a good book but I found that in quite a lot of the recipes she recommends using twice as much meat as I would, and in one she actually says "to make this stretch further just use more meat" :rolleyes: I think it's probably a good book for anyone just learning or just starting OS but after reading the book I think my recipes are more OS and cheaper. Just wanted to share that anyone who has been OS for a while might not get much from it. So check it out online first instead of buying like I did :doh:

Anyone want my copy? :rotfl:

Nikki x
    :A
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nessquic80 wrote: »
    OK DENISE you persuded me, im in
    Angelnikki, im in this month for £220 until the last thursday of the month(payday!)
    Gonna take denises' advice and not let on to OH about GC,he's a bit of a moaner, bread too sweet ,filling to greasy, dont like this, dont like that, so hes gonna have to look after his own packups now.Still gonna do a quiche in the week as i love them and they are good to freeze and take work for tea!! Freezer has loads of batch meals in so better get a start on them else theres gonna be no room in the damn thing!! OMG i think the moaning is rubbing off on me.....:rotfl:

Brilliant, as my mum would say, "don't cut off your nose to spite your face.......":rotfl: . You can have a great time now, squirrelling stuff away without him noticing, slipping oats into food, hehe, he'll never know.... :D

Men eh! gotta love 'em or no-one would! :D

PS: Just thought I'd add, I don't usually recommend 'fibbing' to OH, but 'ommitting' a few details to the betterment of our bank accounts has to be good eh?????
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been tending to the veggies.
    The toms are still green (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2713623762_220579ff3d.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2713623918_043e4c0120_m.jpg) but the beetroot is coming on(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2713624260_b0b9882aa9.jpg). Other stuff mostly ticking away/static!
    :wave: bye for now x
    Ps thanks for all the birthday wishes all of you- I am touched :)
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Next time you make it Den, you could make the big batch without chilli powder/cumin and just add it to his portion that way you could both enjoy it :p

One of the reasons that I dont like that book is that recipe says to use 1KG mince for 8 servings:eek: but my recipe ;) uses 500g mince for 9 servings :A (or 12 if you add lentils ;))

I know a lot of people on here have found it to be a good book but I found that in quite a lot of the recipes she recommends using twice as much meat as I would, and in one she actually says "to make this stretch further just use more meat" :rolleyes: I think it's probably a good book for anyone just learning or just starting OS but after reading the book I think my recipes are more OS and cheaper. Just wanted to share that anyone who has been OS for a while might not get much from it. So check it out online first instead of buying like I did :doh:

Anyone want my copy? :rotfl:

Nikki x

I actually agree with you Nikki. I'm using my copy from the library but should really have added to that post that I didn't use 1kg of mince, but about 5-600g (about 1/2 a bag) and then bulked it up with oats and the rest of the veg.

I really used the book for the meal plans - thought they were a good idea as I can never think of things to do, so sat up our local family club the other night reading it to get ideas (How sad, Saturday night in our local reading a cook book!...:rotfl: think I need to get out more, Oh, I was! :p )

I think the way to look at the book is for ideas - then use what you have learned on here to "adapt" it. If not sure, just ask, someone will always help. The general 'idea' behind the book is great - we don't have to live off fast food and readymeals and spend HOURS in the kitchen, and if you use this book along with this site to help get you on track then it's all good!

I hope that helps someone. Den x

PS: I am going to try your recipe next time
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • smetf
    smetf Posts: 264 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all

Planning another home day ( and don't want to jinx it but dd has been in the same pair of pants since 7.30 this morning :j will have to go and prompt her in a mo)

Borrowed pie dish, found recipe just need the Mr T delivery tonight for the butter!

Sandwiches for 5 kids and me for lunch (got 2 extras). Bacon risotto for tea- sneaky way of getting kids to eat risotto as they all love bacon.

Right will go and persuade dd to try on the loo!

Smetf
    Emergency fund 10k Holiday/ home fund 5k
      Mortgage £63666.87
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been searching for this dahl recipe and have failed to find it - if you got a chance could you post the link please? Need to start thinking of some new things to eat :)

I have the recipe on my PC, I've not made the potatoes yet. A bag of split peas is 500g so it is easier to just double the recipe and freeze half.

[FONT=&quot]YELLOW SPLIT PEA AND COCONUT DHAL[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    Ingredients

1 sachet creamed coconut £0.10 (Pataks sachets x 4 £0.38)
    600ml veg stock (one cube) £0.02 (Tesco 10 Value Veg Stock Cubes £0.19)
    250g yellow split peas £0.20 (Tesco Yellow Split Peas 500g £0.39)
    2tsp finely grated ginger £0.11 (Ginger root loose £0.33)
    2 cloves crushed garlic £0.05 (Tesco Garlic each £0.35)
    2 onions finely chopped £0.08 (Tesco Value Onions 2 Kg £0.78)
    1tsp garam masala £0.05 (Tesco Garam Masala Spice Blend 38g £0.85)
    1tsp ground turmeric £0.04 (Tesco Ground Turmeric 45g £0.68)
    1tsp ground cumin £0.04 (Tesco Ground Cumin 45g £0.68)
    1tsp ground coriander £0.04 (Tesco Ground Coriander36g £0.68)
    2tbsp cooking oil £0.03 (Tesco Pure Vegetable Oil 1 Litre £0.98)

TOTAL £0.76

Instructions

Gently fry the onion, ginger and garlic until soft. Add the spices and fry for a minute, then add the yellow split peas and cook for another minute. Add the stock and coconut and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 50 minutes until the peas are soft but not mushy. If the mixture gets too dry during cooking add some more water.

SPICY POTATOES

Ingredients

500g potatoes, boiled £0.23 (Cornish White Potatoes 2.5kg £1.12)
    2tsp finely grated ginger £0.11 (Ginger root loose £0.33)
    1tsp garam masala £0.05 (Tesco Garam Masala Spice Blend 38g £0.85)
    1tsp ground turmeric £0.04 (Tesco Ground Turmeric 45g £0.68)
    1tsp ground cumin £0.04 (Tesco Ground Cumin 45g £0.68)
    1tsp ground coriander £0.04 (Tesco Ground Coriander 36g £0.68)
    1tsp salt £0.01 ?
    2tbsp cooking oil £0.03 (Tesco Pure Vegetable Oil 1 Litre £0.98)
    5g chopped Fresh Coriander £0.14 (Fresh Coriander 25g £0.69)

TOTAL £0.69

Instructions

Cut the potatoes into medium size chunks and gently heat the oil. Add the ginger and spices to the oil and stir well, add the potatoes and fry gently until lightly golden. Stir through the coriander and serve.

Serve with 400g rice £0.27 (Tesco Easy Cook Long Grain Rice 2kg £1.35
    Cook the rice according to instructions.[/FONT]
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    We've the remains of last night's impromptu bbq to eat up so might make a sausage salad or summat....the weather is still trying to make up it's mind here, switching twix cooler sunshine & threatening black clouds. There was a little flash of lightning & even smaller singular rumble of thunder last night, but at least the rain had dampened everything down for a while.

NB: please make older children aware of the potential hazards involved with handling thawed frozen foodstuff. Luckily I was chatting with one of the offspring about tonight's dinner; a box of defrosted beefburgers had been put back into the freezer......& there was me finkin oid brung'em up roit & all along they'd bin dragged up by their boot-straps:o

Two newspapers & some roses [as in flowers] for MIL birthday today but not yet purchased, so fingers X that's the only expense.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    chelltune wrote: »
    I have the recipe on my PC, I've not made the potatoes yet. A bag of split peas is 500g so it is easier to just double the recipe and freeze half.

[FONT=&quot]YELLOW SPLIT PEA AND COCONUT DHAL [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]SPICY POTATOES[/FONT]

Those recipes can be found here: Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest Along with loads of other really good recipes too. :D

I made the Lamb Koftas and Spicy potatoes from the winning post and they were delicious :drool:

Nikki x
    :A
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Updated sig with todays spends. Hopefully no more to buy this week but will need to make bread later. Chicken wings wedges and salad for tea tonight. Will put the leftovers into the freezer once they're cooked. Handy for picnics or cold teas I think.
    Forgot to say happy birthday to Orkneystar yesterday- belated wishes!
    Need to discover a cheaper way to feed the cat. Got her on whiskas pouches at the mo. 2per day but surely tins must be cheaper. 1 would do 4 meals going by weight. Will investigate dry food only and see if that is suitable.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all :) Where did the morning go :eek: !!! Welcome to all the newbies, hugs to everyone and congrats to the two new Mum's :T 2 NSD's in a row for me now and I won't have to go to MrA until Friday, so I'm doing well. Thanks for sharing your veggie photos Orkneystar, I'll be picking some green beans and lifting some potatoes to go with the whoopsied salmon for tea tonight, I'm really excited lol! Pumpkin update... its now as big as a football, very green but growing lots, I'm impressed, will take a photo and share when I can find the camera. Looking forward to pumpkin pie when its ripened :) I noticed yesterday that the plum tomato plant has two very green plum toms on it, I picked up that plant for 10p when the local garden centre had a [strike]'its dying cos we didn't water it so take it away'[/strike] reduced sale so anything I get off it is a bargain, my gardeners delight that I grew from seed are flowering both in the greenhouse and outside, be interesting to see which do better?!

Yesterday's beef curry was a bit of a disaster, it was to runny and no amount of cornflour would have thickened it up, I know what I did wrong, I added too much water (first time I've made a curry in the slow cooker and didn't have a proper recipe) so will correct it next time! Luckily I hadn't told DH what he was having for tea, so I thought for a minute about how I could rectify it (the old me would have thrown it away and said I was too tired and lets go out for a takeaway! :eek: ) but the new me threw in some rice and lentils, a little more spice and served it up as muligatawny soup with lots of fresh crusty bread, DH said it was yummy, so I got away with it! The rest of the 'soup' is in the freezer for another day :D

Got some baking to do this afternoon, thank goodness its cooler here today so I can do some muffins and cookies, was too hot yesterday and DH complained he had no 'goodies' to take to work for snacks, he was sent off with some apples and a banana lol!

Thanks to JayJay14 and Turbo5019 for answering my Asda CC query, much appreciated :beer: Have a good day everyone :)
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure