Make retro candy/sweet boxes and bouquets for adults & kids + Photos (MERGED)

Options
Was looking through a magazine last night and they had page on what to buy for Christmas. One of them was a retro candy boxes for christmas for £25!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT.
It contained all the old sweets such as those candy necklaces, wine gums etc.
Got me thinking, you could easily buy an empty nail storage/screw box for about a £1 and then fill it with different sweets for a pound or two. I will put a cardboard parcel label on and some ribbon and hey presto.
I know my kids and husband would love one. When christmas is over they can then be used to store bits and bobs.
I am not very good at craft but even I should manage this.
715858_m.jpg
Heals Traditional Candy Tackle 24 Hole Box 1.5Kg
£25.00

Calling all candy lovers! This fabulous candy case holds 24 different type of candy including: Fried Eggs, Black Jacks, Milk Choc Ladybirds, Flying Saucers and Aniseed Balls.
threadbanner.gif
Money SPENDING Expert

Comments

• recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    £25 is a real rip of but I bet loads of people will buy it!! It is a lovely idea and I think I will have a look for a couple of boxes and make them for DD's for Christmas.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • dawn060861
    Options
    What a good idea, ...Cola cubes, cherry lips, coconut bacci, mmmmm.

Dawn

:T for the great idea bluenose1
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    oooooo I'll HAVE to make one of these of OH as he's really into fishing but giving him tackle boxes is SO dull!!!! Filling with sweets makes it a LOTmore exciting! Well done and thanks for posting the picture :) without it I wouldn't have considered one as I couldn't visualize it :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • PandaPants_2
    Options
    my mum got one of those retro candy things for her birthday last year but she got the one that cost £40!!!!!!! My brother obviously has more money than sense! lol

The sweet box is a great idea, my finaces brother has a real sweet tooth!
    Thanks!
    Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
    Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    that's a fabulous idea!!!
    there's a shop near me that sells all the old style sweets so i might just have a go at this :)
  • lyns_2
    lyns_2 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this it looks great shall have a look in wilkinsons and woolworths later for the box i will have to make 3.
    The sweets i shall either get from local market on woolworths pick & mix the ones in the cup for £2 can usualy get £4.50 worth in there if you pack it in tight
    Number 4 due 21st jan
  • bobbadog
    bobbadog Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Options
    I've been checking out where to buy traditional foam mushrooms and aniseed balls online, for my families stockings, but this is a brilliant idea! £25 is ridiculous. I found 200g of Aniseed balls for 59p on eBay, and they did many other traditional sweeties!
  • angelfairy
    angelfairy Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Options
    ohhh, i think this might be a good one for my OH. Might even do it earlier for his b'day at the start of december.

can't believe £25 for it though. madness!!!!
  • angelfairy
    angelfairy Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Options
    bobbadog wrote:
    I've been checking out where to buy traditional foam mushrooms and aniseed balls online, for my families stockings, but this is a brilliant idea! £25 is ridiculous. I found 200g of Aniseed balls for 59p on eBay, and they did many other traditional sweeties!

oh, can you post the link or PM me the seller's id. would love to look at this. my OH says about sweet tobacco, but I am from Oz so I am not so sure about where to buy it. I have been with him when he got it in Margate but wouldn't remember it for the life of me.
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    Funny I'd been thinking the same thing after seeing this rip off: http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/large-wooden-nostalgia-p-1327.html?osCsid=d992356987440a26c568a049365c3186

£32.47 + Delivery, which is a fortune if you live in Northern ireland.
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills