PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

Options

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An even better one Jamie did with some surfing friends was breakfast in a bread loaf :)

He boiled some eggs, fried off some sausages, bacon, black pudding whatever you like really, made some bread dough then placed the breakfast in the dough and folded it up and put in the oven.

The first time I tried this was in the caravan, using a Tesco bread mix which didn't require too much time to rise etc and it was absolutely brilliant although we did have it for lunch instead of breakfast :j

Not a lot of help to someone in a tent with no oven :eek:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone else feeling hungry for bacon and eggs :rotfl:
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Not a lot of help to someone in a tent with no oven :eek:

That'll be me then :(

:rotfl:
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Jay Jay and edinbughlass.

Not only am I a bit more clued up - I'm starving :D

More recipes please - my pc's conking out on me :(
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Options
    An even better one Jamie did with some surfing friends was breakfast in a bread loaf :)

He boiled some eggs, fried off some sausages, bacon, black pudding whatever you like really, made some bread dough then placed the breakfast in the dough and folded it up and put in the oven.

Now you come to mention it, didn't he buy French bread sticks and scoop out most of the bread to make that filling?

Sheesh, I'm starving now lol
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Options
    Duh! Spot my not so deliberate mistake :D

Edinburgh lass? You answered a question I asked again :o

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last year, because of my back injury, we decided that tent holidays really weren't the right thing for us any more - sleeping on the floor had been upgraded to alluminium camp beds, but it still killed my back. So we went further into debt and bought a 2nd hand touring caravan. Because of this I'm determined to use it. (Please don't shout at me, we've only discovered moneysaving very recently.)

Next week we're off on our first ever touring caravan holiday and I'd be keen to hear from other old stylers any tips on what to eat and cook, bearing in mind I'm a complete finnick about tomatoes and spices. Misterholic will eat most things. We'll have a 3 burner gas stove with grill and oven, and also electric hook up. While we don't have a dinky microwave to take with us, we do have a steamer.

When I went in my family's touring caravan when I was (much) younger, my mom used to take a pressure cooker with us, but I hate cooking with one of those so we don't have one. And besides, she was feeding a family of 5 while there are just the 2 of us. We also used to live on mixed grills and fry ups, or those Tyne Brand casseroles in a tin.

Other tips would also be gratefully received.

Ta much.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Previous thread here :D
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Previous thread here :D

Ah .... thanks.

One of these days I just might work out these searches.

Soz everyone. :naughty:
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you, Edinburghlass - I'll do a quick merge :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport