PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

Options

Comments

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    WOW! That lot is really great. Thanks for redirecting me, Edinburghlass, and thanks for the merge, Squeaky.

We also have a little fridge in our caravan. Does that sound like luxury to some of you?

We did a lot of things when we camped, but it was usually modern and expensive, so I'm going to print this thread off ... if I can just work out how to do it ...
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah .... thanks.

One of these days I just might work out these searches.

Soz everyone. :naughty:

My main recommendation after years of caravaning is if you have a George Foreman take it, does for cooking breakfasts and mains meals ;)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    WOW! That lot is really great. Thanks for redirecting me, Edinburghlass, and thanks for the merge, Squeaky.

We also have a little fridge in our caravan. Does that sound like luxury to some of you?

We did a lot of things when we camped, but it was usually modern and expensive, so I'm going to print this thread off ... if I can just work out how to do it ...

As there is also a lot of chat on this thread, try just clicking on the number of the post you want to print, you'll find it in the top corner, then hit print screen and you will just get that particular post.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you have a lovely time spendaholic x x x
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Last year, because of my back injury, we decided that tent holidays really weren't the right thing for us any more - sleeping on the floor had been upgraded to alluminium camp beds, but it still killed my back.

I know you've invested now but for anyone else who struggles. I have a bad back that pops out in 2 or 3 places from time to time :eek: but I find camping is the best thing for my back. I have one of those air beds, the really thick ones, like a mattress. It is wonderful, it was about £15 from Asda last year. Your back is supported by all the air. First morning I still struggle to get up from the floor but by the 2nd morning I can spring out of bed. Only down side is when I get back in my own bed I have to get used to it again and I stuggle for a few days.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use the air bed on your bed instead of the mattress? Make the OH suffer? :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We sold our caravan two years ago (before it got too old) and I really, really miss it. This thread is making me miss it more! We plan to buy another one once the kids have left home (they are 15 and 17 and not interested in caravanning!)

When we had the caravan I used to buy those foil dishes with lids on (CoOp or Wilko's sell them) and before we left home would make stew or chili to put in them. This way I knew that our meal for the first evening away was sorted. We just ate it and threw away the foil dish (so less washing up).

I also used to take a supply of paper plates and bowls. This means a lot less washing up at breakfast as you can eat a full cooked breakfast on one or even your cereal and only have to wash the cutlery (I do this when we holiday abroad too!).

We also loved having a tin of minced beef in gravy with tinned potatoes and a tin of carrots and peas. Very easy to cook in a caravan. Also, a portable BBQ did the trick for a lot of meals too!
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PS I used to break up my lettuce, wash and bag it before leaving home, as well as washing the rest of the salad so that when we were away I only had to get it out of the fridge, ready to eat. (I won't eat ready-washed salad! Yuck! Full of bacteria apparently).

I also found that there was just enough room in the tiny freezer part of the fridge for one single pizza and a small bag of oven chips and this was my eldest daughter sorted out for at least one meal of the holiday.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    We used to take those UHT yoghurts with us. The are lovely and creamy and go well with fruit and cereal for breakfast.
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My main recommendation after years of caravaning is if you have a George Foreman take it, does for cooking breakfasts and mains meals ;)

Now then, Lassie ... I mentioned this to Misterholic in passing today and he started to rave about ol' George's mean lean grilling machines or whatever they're called ... and when he disappeared just before teatime, he came back with, guess what? Yup, one of those lean machine's in person.

Oh, and a 2-tier steamer. :wall:

And here's me trying to cut back.

Although he did say he'd bought it on his interest free credit card that he'll be changing to a 0% balance transfer once it's expired, so maybe he is listening afterall. ;)

His excuse? It'll save the gas when we're already paying for the electric hookup. Well yes, that's correct too. But ... <sigh>
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure