At what age did you feel 'old'?

Options

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am also 37. I think I am in denial. 37 is obviously not old, but seen by some as older than I think it is! In my mind I'm the same as when I was 18 ( maybe I was an old 18 year old).
    When I met my surgeon and he seemed so young or the kids teachers look like they could still be in school themselves I realised I'm not that young anymore. Makes me worry I will complete life having not fulfilled my potential. I also worry about finding a new job. I'm entering a new career field this year and worry the entry level jobs will go to young slim 20 year olds and I will be overlooked. So actually maybe age is beginning to be a factor....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can think you feel you're old at many ages .... but when your parents die you suddenly realise "I'm old; I'm next". That was the age for me.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I first "felt old" on my 20th birthday, when me and my best friend sat in a pub and consoled each other about no longer being teenagers!

I soon shook that thought off, until I turned 40, when I then began to realise that the law of averages stated I was now closer to death than birth.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    I don't. In my head I'm still 22.

The last New Year started inauspiciously, with me in a 'care of the elderly' ward where I was interviewed by a member of the Memory Team. I hope not to repeat the experiences of a year ago!

Go figure.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    For about 10 seconds in my mid forties when I realised that a new friend (new neighbour) a couple of years younger than me had a grandchild the same age as my child. Since then no, I'm only 70, well thats not true, in my head I'm about 19.
    A couple of years ago, I showed a (Polish) temp at work a picture of my then 12yo daughter, who Id had when I was 36. When she left my workmate then revealed she'd said to her about me 'In my country, we have our children young so I thought she was showing me her grandchild'. I pointed out to my workmate we'd have had to have 2 generations of teenage Mum for that to be accurate and though it might be fine for other people, it wasn't something that had ever appealed to me.
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just turned 37 and... me too.

I think it's because I still feel 32 or so - the age when my first child was born. Since then, the time has passed so quickly in a whirlwind of childcare that I haven't stopped for breath, and suddenly I'm nearly 40.
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my brain I am about 30, go to wash my hands and look in the mirror and think who is this old git.
    Only 70 in years but do not feel old yet

That's me! Just have to say, another year makes no difference, at 71 I still wonder who is the oldphart who moved in here?

A long time ago, after an argument with my mum, dad said to me, "Never grow up, son. When you grow up, people expect far too much of you." I followed dad's advice, which is why I like playing games with my grandchildren.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since I turned 30 in November, I have found Ive been a bit more assertive with rude people at work. For instance, a girl was unbelievably rude to me on the phone and I suddenly realised she was 22... something clicked in my brain and I said "if you DONT mind I'm 30 years of age so you better mind WHO you're speaking to in that tone!" :D and lo and behold, she shut up.

I know 29 to 30 isn't exactly much of a difference so it must be psychological....
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I realised that was no longer young when I puffed my way around Mount Etna - altitude problem?

However, I don't feel old at all. I added my DD was I still OK in jeans or knee-length skirts. She though I was mad to even ask.

I'm 70 in April - does that mean old? Doubt it. I wish I still had my dark hair, though! There's no decent, lasting dark colour.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I felt as if I might be more or less grown up when in my forties, but now in my sixties I don't feel old yet. Maybe a few aches and pains now and again but I refuse to acknowledge them. Even becoming a grandmother last year failed to change anything. I agree with another poster about parents dying. My father is celebrating his 90th birthday in a couple of weeks, and my mother will be 86. When something happens to them, heaven forbid, my outlook might change, as I still feel as if I am their 'child', daft as that sounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure