At what age did you feel 'old'?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    I'm with Judi on this one. The menopause, even though it has its bonuses, but that's when I felt I started to look my age.

Yeah i dried up. Like a prune.:(
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I was looking at my wedding photos from my first marriage and I realised that more than half the people on them have now passed away.

When one of my friends who is the same age as me became a 'great-grandad'.

When i got a new boss who was younger than my son.

When I decided that I enjoy staying in more than going out.

When I bought a pair of shoes for 'comfort' not looks.

When I found myself remembering things my father in law (who I thought was a grumpy old git!) had said years ago and finding myself understanding where he was coming from.

But mostly it was realising something about my body - I have parts that no longer work as well as they should and the parts that do still work ache!!!!!
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Not yet! but I'm only 28 :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    About 28, when i realized one of my managers at work is 4 years younger than me! And the fact i work with a load of 17 year olds! That makes me feel old! I talk about bands and tv shows and i just get blank stares :rotfl:
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right now, 30. I feel like Ive hit the old age wall :rotfl: When I see that people born in 1998 that are 18 I feel unbelievably old!! And I still think people born in the year 2000 are "kids"...... until I see them in real life and realise they're 16 and look older than I do :rotfl:
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    I'm with Judi on this one. The menopause, even though it has its bonuses, but that's when I felt I started to look my age.

That's what HRT is for. Sadly I need the combined one so the periods are back, but rather that than spending half the night desperately trying to feel cooler and get back to sleep.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have seen some people who seem happy to make themselves older than they are - and sicker than they should be - by not looking after themselves. I used to work with a few men who ate the most rubbishy of foods and seemed to take great delight in telling everyone how sick they were, and how old they were getting. I got a HUGE shock when they turned out to be 50 - younger than my dad, who has kept himself healthy and relatively young looking (when my daughter was born, the midwives thought he was her DAD :eek: HE loved that... me, not so much :rotfl: )

I don't feel old; I'm not old. Older, sure, but not old.

I was dreading turning 30 but it gave me a chance to really take stock of my life and realise what I liked/didn't like about it. Anything I didn't like, I kicked to touch.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think it,s the rapid rate of change, both in terms of world events and the speed of technology that is making us feel old. We can't keep up !

The horse and cart existed for centuries with little change. Now we re having to comprehend satellites in space and the ever expanding capacities and capabilities of the worldwide web in about 50 years! It's a lot to take in!
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I think it,s the rapid rate of change, both in terms of world events and the speed of technology that is making us feel old. We can't keep up !

The horse and cart existed for centuries with little change. Now we re having to comprehend satellites in space and the ever expanding capacities and capabilities of the worldwide web in about 50 years! It's a lot to take in!

My DH and i said this yesterday when we had to buy a new telly, so much choice:rotfl: then when our sound bar wouldnt connect to it:o
    We dont have unlimited internet nor do we have kids to keep us in touch we are 50-ish:rotfl: and said technology is running away with us:o
    We dont work in jobs with technology either
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    At around 30 - huge mortgage, young kids, FT job, very knackered, no spare money, not enough fun.

I'm now mid 40's and feel about 15 - kids are energetic and fun teenagers, less work, more money, smaller clothes, loads of exercise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure