Bargain Asia Flights

Options

Comments

• Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    Macau to Hong Kong on the Hydrofoil - don't miss it.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    xegec wrote: »
    booked with airaisa travel between 27jan2010 - 08feb2010

london <-> kuala lumpur (kul) 188pounds
    (stay over 3 night at kul)
    kul -> bangkok (bkk) 8pounds
    (stay over 2 nights at bkk)
    bkk -> hongkong (macau) 22pounds
    (stay over 6 nights at hkg)
    hongkong (macau) -> kuala lumpur 16pounds
    (stay 1 night at kul again)

= total 234 pounds with tax
    london > kuala lumpar > bangkok > hongkong (macau)> kuala lumpar > london
    that is bargain

offer will expire on 28/06 tonight

Did you want to visit Macau or did HKG add to much to your itinerary?
  • beachlou
    beachlou Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    We have just booked our flights to KL in Sept. We paid £278 for 2 adults. We were very pleased.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    If you're staying in KL get one of the buses from outside the airport into KL Sentral (yes with an S) about £1.50 - 75 mins ish. For transport onwards across the road (round the building site at the moment 3 min walk) to the monorail station gets you to many central locations around the city for about 50p ish.
    Some cheap basic hotels around Chow Kit as well as some more 'interesting' establishments plus plenty of very cheap places to eat. Avoid taxi touts and fake watch sellers.
  • xegec
    xegec Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »
    Did you want to visit Macau or did HKG add to much to your itinerary?

of course hong kong but cheaper if arrival at macau, then take a hydrofoil (one hour) to hong kong

30jan2010
    bangkok -> macau = 22pounds
    bangkok -> hong kong direct = 39pounds
  • Donnie
    Options
    How much is the hydrofoil?
  • Bob_the_Saver
    edited 30 June 2009 at 12:42AM
    Options
    From memory about £10-£15 but don't quote me, they must have a website, they are very regular and we found no need to book in the 'good times' so now they probably leave whenever it suits you! It's that bit as you come into HK for the first time. If you arrive at dusk even better.
    I think the foil we went over on was Boeing 929 100 007, don't know why but it just sounds more interesting than the 1400 Dover to Calais or number 28a bus somehow!
    If you're looking for cheapish digs in Kowloon try Chungking Mansions not far from where you'll arrive, then over on the Star ferry to Kowloon. For an experience right in the heart of town it's - an experience. Check it out in your Rough lonely planet guide first but a great and interesting fire hazard - sorry I mean a great and interesting location. we'll be staying there this winter. Please note HK budget rooms are small, think North sea ferry cabin and divide the surface area by 2, but OK for a few nights because you don't go all that way to sit in your hotel/'guesthouse' room.
    Try https://www.hostelworld.com for info/bookings or just turn up.
    Enjoy HK and reflect how the vibrancy and almost electric feel of the place is just like in the UK (I don't think). No visa problems here or in Macau for full British passport holders (Check https://www.fco.gov.uk) for latest info. In Macau the hotels and big establishments as a rule of thumb take HK dollars - or anything shiney whilst the small shops mostly take Patakas, try asking your bank's travel desk for those for a laugh. 2 days in Macau usually plenty unless you're a gambler, longer obviously in HK. Please note the public shuttle bus from the airport to the ferry terminal only accepts Patakas or did when I last used it. The fare is only peanuts but change a little in the airport or you'll hold the rest of us up. Good luck and enjoy.

Look at http://www.pbase.com/anubis_photo/image/25855548
  • Donnie
    Options
    I was thinking that it was around that, so wondered if there was any substantial saving going via Macau.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    edited 30 June 2009 at 11:15AM
    Options
    Depends what deal(s) you get. We're doing Singapore to Macau all in for £2.50 with Tiger in December (deal now finished). Just looked on Air Asia our dates KL-HK is about £130 today so for us its is a much better option, but as I said it depends on the deal you get.
  • xegec
    xegec Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »
    I was thinking that it was around that, so wondered if there was any substantial saving going via Macau.

30jan2010
    bangkok -> macau = 22pounds
    > to the city of hong kong + 10pounds(hydrofoil one way)

bangkok -> hong kong direct = 39pounds
    > to the city of hong kong + 10pounds(airport express one way)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure