Any advice please

Options

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wile I agree that the OP should be prepared to cover any damage caused, suggesting that she goes knocking random doors to try and find who it was is simply bad advice. That applies regardless of the OP's gender, but especially as a woman.

Assuming she couldn't stop at the time because of traffic, the two "correct" things to do would to have been go back and place a note on the car (no guarantee that the owner will get it, of course) or report the incident to the police so they can either find the owner or have her details if the owner reports it.

That appears to be what she's done.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Wile I agree that the OP should be prepared to cover any damage caused, suggesting that she goes knocking random doors to try and find who it was is simply bad advice. That applies regardless of the OP's gender, but especially as a woman.

Assuming she couldn't stop at the time because of traffic, the two "correct" things to do would to have been go back and place a note on the car (no guarantee that the owner will get it, of course) or report the incident to the police so they can either find the owner or have her details if the owner reports it.

That appears to be what she's done.
    That's not how I read the situation. She decided not to stop then once she'd ascertained that there was no damage to her car, has assumed that there's no damage to the other car, got indignant when someone left a note and tried to swing the situation round to one where the note-writer is somehow in the wrong and that justifies her not wanting to do the right thing. No door-knocking needed. All she needs to do is as you say, leave a note on the car in question so the owner can get in touch if they want to.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    worried123 wrote: »
    find me the owner and i will......thats why i contacted the police.

the whole crux is that i have no contact details....you are so perfect i suspect and i obviously not.

It seems that posting in the first instance is what has `escalated` this situation.

I dont believe that i am `wasting the polices time` i hae been told here that i have committed an offence and so i have owned up to the situation. I would also like to know what i am supposed to `pay up for` as you elloquently put it when my wing mirror was not even knocked out fo place and wasnt a mark on it.....i am no expert but i suspect that had i damaged this persons wing mirror there would have been something..even the slightest mark on mine.

Perfect people posting who are complete saints and never do a thing wrong especially on the road.
    Dont speak to me like that either and make sure you dust your halo before you go to bed tonight.
    But you do have the car reg. and you know where the car was parked. Go back and leave a note of your own with your mobile number for them to contact you, something you should've done from the off and at the earliest convenience.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest the OP has a walk down the road, seeing its near to where she lives, try to identify the car she hit, see if there is any damage IF she can find it. If there is damage put a note on the windscreen otherwise there is nothing else she can do.
    Its possible the car had a dashcam in parked mode, and the driver recognized the car because she is local, but why if it is the car owner did they not put any contact details on the note?
  • worried123
    worried123 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 10:21AM
    Options
    Re aylesbury duck..No....the crux of the matter and why i posted in the first instance (wish now that i had not bothered to only be beaten up and have whole situation `twisted` as you say to fit `your` mind set...what you post often says more about yourself.) is that i have no contact details......there was a reg number ont eh front of the envelope and it now appears its mine with one digit wrong...i wasnt sure whether a car owner could be traced with this.

There were many parked cars as the whole road has parked cars along....it was dark I did not stop (shoot me now as i am such a terrible woman who you know nothing about and have never met so i would try to reserve your judgement if i were you)....are you tight regarding money? because your assumption that i must be and this is why i didnt stop or return seems to be your main concern.

I do not know where the car actually is and what make of car it is....i have a threatening note...however you perceive it, its a threat.....on my windscreen with absolutely no contact details....

Yes, i did not stop....it was a light clip of his wing mirror and neither do thousands of other drivers who do the same thing every single day.....there cannot be one driver who hasnt had thier car clipped whilst driving etc.....

we have already ascertained that i am an evil person for not stopping so lets put that to one side.......my problem is that i have no contact details for this car driver.

I am not going to go down an entire road knocking on doors and have even been advised not to by the police.....so i have reported the situation to teh police.....beyond that i cannot see what more i can do.

once you have stopped slagging me off you might want to get this into context and stop making assumptions about me whilst you carry on with you perfect faultless existence.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Options
    No....the crux of the matter and why i posted in the first instance (wish now that i had not bothered to only be beaten up and have whole situation `twisted` as you say to fit your fit `your` mind set...what you post often says more about yourself.) is that i have no contact details......there was a reg number ont eh front of the envelope and it now appears its mine with one digit wrong...i wasnt sure whether a car owner could be traced with this.

There were many parked cars as the whole road has parked cars along....it was dark I did not stop (shoot me now as i am such a terrible woman who you know nothing about and have never met so i would try to reserve your judgement if i were you)....are you tight regarding money? because your assumption that i must be and this is why i didnt stop or return seems to be your main concern.

I do not know where the car actually is and what make of car it is....i have a threatening note...however you perceive it, its a threat.....on my windscreen with absolutely no contact details....

Yes, i did not stop....it was a light clip of his wing mirror and neither do thousands of other drivers who do the same thing every single day.....there cannot be one driver who hasnt had thier car clipped whilst driving etc.....

we have already ascertained that i am an evil person for not stopping so lets put that to one side.......my problem is that i have no contact details for this car driver.

I am not going to go down an entire road knocking on doors and have even been advised not to by the police.....so i have reported the situation to teh police.....beyond that i cannot see what more i can do.

once you have stopped slagging me off you might want to get this into context and stop making assumptions about me whilst you carry on with you perfect faultless existence.

You don't have to knock on doors, just walk down the road looking for the reg on the envelope if you can't find it then fine you tried.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    The following would suggest otherwise.
    Driving home last night down a main road just off my street i clipped a wing mirror of an obviously parked car.

You've got the reg of the car so just get off your backside and find the car and place a note with YOUR contact details on it.
  • worried123
    Options
    I DO NOT have the reg details....i thought they had left theirs on the envelope but they have put my reg number on it with one changed digit.

so i am going to `get off my lazy backside` now and go and do a 12 hour shift at the hospital however i expect that i will be put in front of the diciplinary commitee and struck off for this most terrible of crimes.

next time that i think i need advice i shallnt be asking on here....just complete rudeness.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    It's not rudeness, it's answers you don't want to hear.

If it helps: You've done everything you can, it wasn't your fault, the note-writer was threatening and they don't deserve to have their wing-mirror fixed as a result. Stop feeling guilty and have a good day at work.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wonder whether anybody can advise me please.

Driving home last night down a main road just off my street i clipped a wing mirror of an obviously parked car. I was in the flow of traffic so couldnt stop or pull over and it sounded like a very minor clip (my car has been clipped many a time and you feel its part of life and no major damage done).

This morning there was an envelope under my wing screen wiper. It had a registration number on the front of it and what i feel to be a very rude and threatening note inside. However, absolutely no name, telephone number or address. terrible writing that isnt even joined up and to my mind appalling manners. (had this person said these are my contact details and i would appreciate you contacting me to discuss this i would not have minded.

The note reads, `I`ve looked at my CCTV and its your car what has struck mine and broken my wing mirror. I will give you just one opportunity to come and do the right thing or I will be forced to go the police`.....And thats it... no contact details and just a threatening letter.

(in the grand scheme i cannot help but feel this persons car could have been parked badly and certainly he/she should have pushed their wing mirror in (mine was literally smashed off before i learned to remember to push it in like everyone else when i park outside my house). Certainly i have never clipped anybodies mirror before and driven down that road thousands of times and didnt clip any of the other parked cars....(if wing mirrors didnt get clipped nobody would push theirs in and everybody does).

I am annoyed at this persons rudeness and the fact they have simply threatened me......also how did they know where i live.

I rang my local neighbourhood police station today...only an answerphone but explained that i accidently clipped somebodies wing mirror and that i had received a threatening note left on my car but no contact details and could they please advise me.
    I have not heard back from them.

(apologies - female....never had to deal with anything like this before...i am also concerned that if i do finally manage to track down this person they will rip me off concerning their wing mirror because they sound very hostile and rude anyway.....

I dont know where to go from here.......any advice would be much appreciated. thank you.
    You are the worst kind of person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport