PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    flubbery, teach me how to mentally get rid of nice but bulky furniture? I know I would probably have to pay someone to take it, like the last time when I had this fantastic ercol dresser but it was dark brown. I had to pay £50 to have it taken away. You would faint at the original price of it. It is the mental thing, my lovely sofa is large, squashy and dark brown dull colour leather with bright earthy cushions. I can sleep on it if needed but it will be too big sooner or later

I would love a conservatory when I move and will make sure I get one or update one to be more energy efficient. If I could turn the clock back 30 years then all my furniture would be modular, light oak, smaller pieces that fit together in whatever space I had. Now I have some bits that are bulky and alone would fill a room. I know one day I will have to truly downsize for the last time but not now, in ten years maybe

I`ll think of food later, a bit stomach churny thinking about getting rid of stuff
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure what your reasoning is, but don't give daddy longlegs a reprieve, please! Do kill them. Their larvae are those evil little leatherjackets that live in soil and destroy seedlings and small plants.

RHS on leatherjackets
    I didn't know that - I shall whack them in future!
  • caronc
    Options
    Back on topic, I returned to my tinned stores for this evening's meal. I had saag aloo, using tinned spinach (massive tin from Wing Yip, great value) and the aforementioned tinned spuds.

Saag aloo was spiced up with cumin, turmeric and wholegrain mustard, with some olive oil mixed in so everything stuck together.

Although this sounds more like a side than a main meal, the spices really lift it and give it a bit of zip, so that, like daal, it is more than the sum of its parts.
    That sounds just scrummy :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Brrr it's cold here this morning, snow is forecast and there are lots of purple clouds gathering so round about will get some even we don't.

Definitely a day for the pea and ham soup I'm going to make once I've finished my cuppa and got myself organised. :)
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kittie

We had some pine furniture that had gone orange and donated it to a couple of dds who promptly painted it in grey, cream or white and it looks really good.

Middle dd bought some dark dining room room furniture from gumtree a few years ago and painted it white/ cream and I recovered the dining chairs in a pale mint shabby chic tapestry fabric and even had enough fabric for a seat and bolster on the window ledge.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Got an idea I might do one of the recipes from my list for dinner today - ie pesto carrot noodles with white beans and tomatoes.

The "noodles" being spiralised carrots.

Just had a check of the ingredients and see the "green" part of the pesto is down as being basil. Darn - forgot to get basil. I do have spinach in - and my French sorrel in the garden seems to be starting to re-grow early for the spring. So I'm guessing I could use spinach/bit of sorrel instead of the basil.

The "nutty Parm" (non dairy equivalent of Parmesan) is made with nuts and nutritional yeast and I've not tried making that element before - fingers crossed it will be to my taste.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a nice looking day, but is really cold.

I see no point in leaving the house .... I have nowhere to go and nothing specific to do. Leaving the house involves spending money. So I see no point in leaving the house.

I have pie in the fridge.

If you're not going out for something, or to something, or for a reason, there's no reason to go out there is there.... just because "well, it looks nice/sunny out there", when, in fact, you know it's cold....
    I agree PN we were forecast snow today but it's actually sunny and blue skies, morning dog walk was freezing though!!

I'd love to spend the day in my comfies in the warm (and most of it will be) but need to go on another walk later, I'll combine it with a visit to my local cemetery, wrapped up in lot's of woolies :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    Options
    I suspect the sum of my venturing out today will be to the bin....

Dried peas are currently in the pressure cooker, just need to get the veggies chopped.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Elona wrote: »
    We had some pine furniture that had gone orange and donated it to a couple of dds who promptly painted it in grey, cream or white and it looks really good.

I have a pine chest in a bedroom that has gone orange, I think I will do the same after I have moved, sounds lovely

I have been doing house jobs, getting rid, cleaning, replacing a bulb and starter motor. Finished for the day. Nice start: bacon 1 thin sausage and 2 eggs. Just has thin toast and jam, am loving the texture of hm bread toasted, very crispy

Lunch has to be salad and I see a jar of roll mops. Fab I like them. No flipping idea for last meal, maybe odds and sods like parkin, fruit, mushroom pate on oatcakes

went very dark and just had hailstones, very cold out so am trying to vary the day to avoid cabin fever
  • caronc
    Options
    It's snowing.....:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business