PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 10:28PM
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Was buying (or trying to buy) some flowers at the local supermarket when the cashier said she couldn't sell them to me as they were past the sell by date - I kid you not.
    'Well you can give them to me,' says I. And she did! :rotfl:
    Excellent result :D

Fish pie was lovely but LO I had a small amount of cheesy mash & white sauce. Not a portion of each but too much to ditch IFYSWIM. Anyway I have mixed the two together and I'm thinking with the addition of some diced cooked onion it could make a tasty pasty filing or failing that souffle potatoes is I beat and egg into it. Might need to freeze it until I get some puff pastry as I think the pasty option might be the winning option:cool:

ETA - should have added fish pie made two portions so one for the freezer or lunch tomorrow
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Food shopping just got a whole lot easier.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5372607/Potatoes-GOOD-you.html

I figure just those + 4-5 toppings would do :)

Just add: cheese, beans, chilli, tuna.

That's the short shopping list finished :)

My diet's always been spud heavy, it used to be mostly spuds .... spuds with almost every meal.... I should go back to that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Oh Meg sounds like you've had the type of day when bedtime can't come soon enough!

oh I get those days :) end up counting the minutes to bedtime. I have made myself have a purpose today and am going to `downsize` my sewing room. Patterns, fabrics, all for cs. I am always happiest when I have a focus to the day, so I am going to kondo stuff and do a bit of space clearing

No focus for eating today, just porridge and apricots, salmon salad, cba whatever I can find for last meal
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2018 at 8:45AM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    .... sewing room....
    How many rooms do you have?

I guess we all assume others live in the same sized houses we all live in.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 9:25AM
    Options

I guess we all assume others live in the same sized houses we all live in.

I've got a modern 2-bed terraced house, with a 12x13' living room, a 12'x8' kitchen, compulsory downstairs loo (Building Regs for new builds) and upstairs 2 bedrooms and a small bathroom (fat people can't use the loo as it's blocked behind the door when you open it, so you have to get in and squeeze in to close the door).

Bit of a chuckle there - that building regs say a downstairs loo is mandatory (cue for looking after a certain proportion of people that might need that) v. an upstairs bathroom that is difficult to use for fat people (cue for that being the majority of people at the moment that will have problems using it - ie in between the 1970s/80s when most people were normal size and whatever decade it is that that is the case again - 2030's?/2040's/maybe never?):cool:

One of the more minor reasons I felt I had to sell my last house was because of one aspect of it that is no problem whatsoever re the space aspect - but I'd noticed it being a problem to someone else and realised it would now be a problem to a high proportion of people currently and, at some point, this would all be SO "normalised" that my last house would be seen as the problem (though it isnt) and they'd complain that part of the house was "too small" (even though it isnt) - rather than admit they were too big. It happens these days...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

4 bedrooms, so I use one for dedicated sewing, one of my hobby passions. 2 have single beds in them and I store aerobeds under the beds. I keep a teeter in one of the bedrooms, I will never do without my teeter, it straightens my back and lengthens me, opens up the disc spaces in my back. I get very compressed after working on the allotment and would be in agony for days without my teeter

One small cosy snug, contains my tv, small bookcase and 2 comfy chairs. One study, contains lots of study furniture which contain hobby stuff ie for spinning and carving, knitting, felting, weaving and all that. I`ll keep on with my hobbies as long as possible, they keep me going and enable me to make friends in like-minded groups. Also contains my professional health books

Hall and utility containing the eco gubbins. A kitchen/dining/lounge space, all open, sunny and airy. Yes it sounds big but I fill it and can always put family up when they stay. It was well designed
  • caronc
    Options
    Food shopping just got a whole lot easier.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5372607/Potatoes-GOOD-you.html

I figure just those + 4-5 toppings would do :)

Just add: cheese, beans, chilli, tuna.

That's the short shopping list finished :)

My diet's always been spud heavy, it used to be mostly spuds .... spuds with almost every meal.... I should go back to that.

Fab - I love my spuds :D

My house should be too big for just me and yes I could downsize but like Kittie fill the space with ease whereas 4 of us used to live here quite comfortably. I only use the ground floor, the boy's bedrooms are upstairs (now spare rooms really I suppose) built into what was the loft. Downstairs is my bedroom, bathroom, living room, dining room/family room and kitchen/ conservatory. I don't really use the living room in the winter as it is North facing so needs a fire on to boost the heating unless I have guests. If I were to downsize I'd want a large kitchen/conservatory and in this area any houses that have this are the same size if not bigger than mine.

It wet and wild here today so doubt I'll be venturing further than the bin. I plan to pressure cook a small piece of gammon today (about 450g)). I'll cut a steak off of it to have with pineapple tonight, make pea & ham soup tomorrow and use the rest for sandwiches during the week.
    Lunch I think will be the remaining fish pie with pickles.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i have one of those tiny loos, previous owner installed the smallest hand basin I've ever seen, and a bi-fold door.
  • caronc
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    i have one of those tiny loos, previous owner installed the smallest hand basin I've ever seen, and a bi-fold door.
    I got stuck in a tiny loo when I was days away from giving birth to my second child (wish it had had a folding door...). I had a massive bump (he was 9lb 5oz) and thought I was going to be stuck there until he arrived. I can laugh now but it was horrible at the time:eek:
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm in a modern 3 bed semi. Small hall no room for furniture, with toilet off it. Straight ahead is lounge,which used to have the stairs in it, which we had walled off , made I huge difference to heating the room :eek: It freezing now when I go into the stair area!!!! From the lounge double doors to a kitchen dining area double doors through to conservatory which we had roofed 18 months ago, but is still too cold in winter unless I put the oil heater on.
    Upstairs us 2 bedrooms and a box room which just has wardrobes in it. And an airing cupboard on landing and bathroom with a bath with shower over it. This would of been our next area to change to take out the bath and install a full wall length shower. My niece has a house on this estate and has done that and it's great.

Breakfast was a banana and vanilla yogurt.
    I'm just waiting for the washer to finish before I have a shower. Unfortunately it's raining!!!
    I should have done it yesterday when it was sunny and windy, but wanted to put dgsons uniform in:(
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback