PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spirit wrote: »
    Supermarkets (or Matalan that I know of) don't keep all their stock in stores - even the larger stores, so If you've seen something online and don't see it in store, you can do the C&C. ...

The issue I have with that as a system is that I'm rarely about - and if I am in a shop for something, then I'd like to get it then and there because I won't be around next week, or next month, to pop in again.

Also, quite often, you don't know IF you want it until you've seen it for yourself, touched it.... when you see something in real life you might just think "Yuck, didn't realise it looked like that ... didn't realise it looked so cheap ... didn't realise the edges were like that ... "

And arranging to have it sent back is then another pain in the butt etc.

If your life's used to receiving/sending parcels and you've the time to wait for drivers, or can park near a convenient Post Office and don't mind lugging stuff about, that's fine. For those unused to owning/buying goods ... who don't go in'/near Post Offices ... it's a whole new world of "rather not do that as it all sounds like a recipe for disaster and faffery".
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your life's used to receiving/sending parcels and you've the time to wait for drivers, or can park near a convenient Post Office and don't mind lugging stuff about, that's fine. For those unused to owning/buying goods ... who don't go in'/near Post Offices ... it's a whole new world of "rather not do that as it all sounds like a recipe for disaster and faffery".
    This is why, wherever I can I buy online from shops where you can use click and collect, because I can then collect it on a day/time suitable to me rather than wait in for a delivery. I also try to use shops online where I can return the goods to the store for an immediate refund to my credit/debit card if whatever I have bought turns out to be unsuitable.

I can't be doing with all that packaging something back up and taking it to the post office, and then in my case, stressing until I know it has been received back by the company and waiting for them to then re-credit my debit/cred card. I do find that too stressful.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Mid bath I suddenly thought .... I bet the shelves in the shed are the same sort ... (need to check) .... and I bet the reason the shelves there don't fit is because they're a 5-shelf .... and only 4 was tall enough ....

So I'm now wondering if the left over piece from the shed shelving will fit onto this 4-shelf unit.... I bet they're all the same stuff (if the same manufacturer) and they do sell 5s too....

I'll find out later this year - either when I am sorting out stuff onto the new shelves and discover the info that came with the packaging of the shed shelves (I keep everything) ... and/or when I'm next in the shed to get the mower out to cut the grass and I spot the spare shelf at the back and can compare the two and give it a go.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Having already pigged out on a fat breakfast of a thick crust, baked beans, scrambled eggs......

Lunch was a cheese omelette.

It'd have been nice to have that as a cheese omelette, chips, beans - but I've no chips ... and CBA to make my own when I was eating/acting on a whim .... and I could've put some beans on the side of the omelette, but CBA to be honest :)

For omelettes I don't really have "the right dish", so I am always disappointed at the size of the end result... one day I'll get a bigger dish, on a whim.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've only ever used "click & collect" at Boots. Our local one is tiny so doesn't hold much stock. It worked really well and returns were to the shop so no faffing with posting if I didn't want something.

I wasn't hugely hungry for breakfast so just had the remaining two dried figs and a small handful of grapes. Consequently come noon I was wanting more than just a small crusty roll. I defrosted a small portion of the parsnip & chestnut soup and had that with my cheese and beetroot roll so my tummy has now stopped complaining :)

I'm swithering if I want to add leeks & peas to my fish and sauce and if I want cheesy chive mash on top. I shall ponder that while I have my afternoon snooze......
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I couldn't decide what I wanted for breakfast this morning so decided to go for the option of scrambled eggs on toast, on the basis that it was easiest at the time :). Yoghurt would have been easier but I've run out of that.

Lunch was a couple of sausage rolls left over from yesterday with some salad.

I've got a chicken casserole/stew in the slow cooker. One of those use up all the veg at the bottom of the fridge type ones. I'll have that with a jacket potato and some steamed cabbage.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 February 2018 at 5:29PM
    Options
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages, so been having a chase around because I changed my e -mail at the same time.

Blooming cold wind today, heating turned on, too cold to sit here with numb fingers

Nothing much for me in Lild this morning, still no 1kg frozen chips in stock, however W/r have sent me £1 voucher off frozen food so I could buy some of theirs next time I'm in

Lunch was BF ham & salad sarnie, then 1/8 of my C & O pie, which I had out prepping for dinner and a bit just popped into my mouth

mid afternoon cuppa with bread + some of my vegan no anything choc spread. Not bad, would buy again but not at full price of nearly £4

I noticed, for us stew lovers, Lild have the diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up

Dinner is more of the C & O pie, quite full with all the nibbling so may just be 1/8 this time, with piccalilli, and top up with bread & choc spread as required

MTSTM, listening to Gardeners' QT and James Wong reckoned Lemon Grass, grown yourself, makes good tea substitute, using the leaves. The grass stem would be to fibrous for eating when grown in UK, but leaves OK. Just a thought for an experiment this summer

I've used C & C for some items, not food, from the likes of John Lewis/ collect from W/r, Asda & Argos, all in store though, not some mystery van in the car park, I've seen them but no idea how it works. I found it very easy, and most importantly, as HH mentioned, choose own time & day. In my case early in day, easy parking & no queues
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ....still no 1kg frozen chips in stock....
    It's annoying, I'm convinced they've dropped them as they were so cheap/Kg and are instead putting pricier ones up for sale. Slowly gentrifying everything....
    .....diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up
    Me too! It flattened nicely for the freezer, taking up little space!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway - I've just had to go through the same rigamarole with my password:mad:, I thought it was because Firefox had updated so glad it's not just me.:cool:

You've certainly had your money's worth out of your C&O pie:)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages,
    Me too. They must be having an early spring clean. Plus a google link to the site decided my browser was old. Well it's not actually. I am on the latest Firefox ESR for people like me who are still on XP. Yes it's my operating system that's old!
    Got bacon and chestnut mushrooms cooking on the multifuel stove for bacon rolls. Later it's microwave toffee and ginger sponge. Because I'm worth it..... ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback