PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It`s the weather, I blame the weather for constantly wanting something to eat, not really hungry, just feeling that I want to eat. I did buy some salad stuff so tomorrow may well have a healthy salmon salad with bread and butter. I did really well until today when I called into the supermarket for a tank of petrol. That enticed me in and I was doomed, got some fruit and salad then wandered over to the yoghurt isle, got that and spied the thick cream. I didn`t want it, didn`t need it but I kept thinking that it would go so well with my pie, its amazing how these things can slide into a basket

Money, I make lovely teas using these papers
    http://www.adagiotea.co.uk/teaware/paper_filters.html?googleshopping=yes&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9Ma5yLoUMP0K8R9SN2k0H77bdDQH3AQ-6aS6_qjM87DQm9ne_DmJC7AaArTmEALw_wcB

eg dried hibiscus flowers makes nice tea, also very good for health

I also use this a lot, wonderful design and easy to wash out. Plastic but will last a very long time
    http://www.adagiotea.co.uk/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Much as I love salad kittie, I really don't think I could eat it just now not unless it came with chips or a big baked potato with lots of butter:o. At the moment my tastebuds in the veg department are definitely wanting spicy or brassicas or root veg. (Or all three, steaming hot in a big bowl :rotfl::rotfl:)
    I think the milder weather earlier has mucked up my internal central heating as despite the heating being up and the radiators toasty I'm still chilly. (That's with a vest, a top, a jumper and a thick cardi - I do hope I'm not heading foe the lurgy.) Mind you come the early hours it will no doubt be in sauna mode ;))
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Thanks - but I'm not quite sure what I'd do with paper tea filters??

I do have a herbal tea teapot (ie glass teapot with thingie in the middle to put bits in) and a mug with lid (ditto).

Re standard tea - I'm pretty sure I've still got a lidded teaspoon with holes in. Though could always buy a teapot per se and I have a mini strainer anyway. Not that very many people seem to want tea either these days. I'd say 95% of the time then (after I've explained available choices to people) they'll ask for a real coffee. So I duly had to get a large cafetiere - as well as the one mug size I had for myself anyway.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    It`s the weather, I blame the weather for constantly wanting something to eat, not really hungry, just feeling that I want to eat.
    I'm blaming it on the weather as well. When there has been a prolonged cold spell I always seem to want something to eat, and like you, I'm not really hungry. I just end up eating comfort food.

As soon as the weather turns a bit warmer, I won't constantly want food. I will go back to my normal eating pattern.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 8:34AM
    Options
    I've been putting down feeling hungry at times between meals to my having changed my diet rather and told it's to be expected on this sort of diet and not a problem.

But quite a few of us are saying we're feeling hungrier on here. Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter - because, at one time, it served a purpose = giving people extra calories to burn during the colder part of the year? So, basically, something we no longer need in the 20th/21st century (with our warmer buildings) but Mother Nature has clung onto it anyway (much to the annoyance of those of us who don't like being influenced by factors that aren't logical and aren't under our control)?

EDIT; Just made another weeny discovery - re the trick that came up on here to thaw things from freezer quicker. I'm still having to buy my milk in plastic cartons at the moment - because it's organic and it's now become possible to buy non-organic milk in glass bottles again here. But we're still waiting for organic milk in glass bottles at the moment - no-one seems to have made a decision to do them yet in my immediate vicinity - grrr! So hoicked the milk (in plastic container - grr!) out of freezer yesterday evening to defrost and decided to put the container on metal (ie in metal saucepan). This morning found it's totally defrosted - rather than just a large part of the way towards it. So it works for defrosting stuff quicker - even if it's in a container.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter QUOTE]

yes it is as is hibernating or getting more dozy in the day. I always go into hibernation indoors mode in winter. It does not do me any harm, come spring I can still ride my bike up hills, when I used to think I would be struggling after not using those muscles. I do though tend to do lots of stuff while standing as it is a mini form of exercise and I go upstairs when I need something, rather than putting it off. On sunny `warm` days then I go out and do a few things, bit of weeding, tidying etc. It is what animals do

paper tea filters: dried herbs/normal tea in pouch, put in mug, they are long so the top folds over the side. Use twice if herbs. Compost afterwards
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gosh my meals are sorted for today, don`t have to think, had porridge and 4 soaked dried apricots first. Lunch will be that salad as I know the sun will be shining in here. Fruit pie and topping :D Last meal is just about defrosted in the fridge and this one will be the soup/casserole

New chocolate to imbibe today, vivani 85% from real foods. I bought a box and this will last me 2 1/2 months. I managed to avoid all their other lovely vivani temptations but I did buy oatcakes as it makes an energy sustaining snack with peanut butter
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A freezing start. First thing every morning what I do is open the windows/patio doors and give the room a good airing .... and then it's cold, but it does need doing daily.

Probably toasted bread crusts and baked beans for a warming breakfast.

Awaiting those shelves to arrive at the shop, so I can collect.... checked this morning and they're on their way, but not arrived.

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/7109-kis-4-tier-plus-shelf.aspx
  • caronc
    Options
    I've been putting down feeling hungry at times between meals to my having changed my diet rather and told it's to be expected on this sort of diet and not a problem.

But quite a few of us are saying we're feeling hungrier on here. Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter - because, at one time, it served a purpose = giving people extra calories to burn during the colder part of the year? So, basically, something we no longer need in the 20th/21st century (with our warmer buildings) but Mother Nature has clung onto it anyway (much to the annoyance of those of us who don't like being influenced by factors that aren't logical and aren't under our control)?

EDIT; Just made another weeny discovery - re the trick that came up on here to thaw things from freezer quicker. I'm still having to buy my milk in plastic cartons at the moment - because it's organic and it's now become possible to buy non-organic milk in glass bottles again here. But we're still waiting for organic milk in glass bottles at the moment - no-one seems to have made a decision to do them yet in my immediate vicinity - grrr! So hoicked the milk (in plastic container - grr!) out of freezer yesterday evening to defrost and decided to put the container on metal (ie in metal saucepan). This morning found it's totally defrosted - rather than just a large part of the way towards it. So it works for defrosting stuff quicker - even if it's in a container.
    kittie wrote: »
    Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter QUOTE]

yes it is as is hibernating or getting more dozy in the day. I always go into hibernation indoors mode in winter. It does not do me any harm, come spring I can still ride my bike up hills, when I used to think I would be struggling after not using those muscles. I do though tend to do lots of stuff while standing as it is a mini form of exercise and I go upstairs when I need something, rather than putting it off. On sunny `warm` days then I go out and do a few things, bit of weeding, tidying etc. It is what animals do

paper tea filters: dried herbs/normal tea in pouch, put in mug, they are long so the top folds over the side. Use twice if herbs. Compost afterwards

Yes I'm sure it's a legacy from when surviving the long dark days was difficult - carb craving as there would be little protein available and a general slowing down of the body to conserve fat reserves.
    I think in winter I'm definitely a product of my ancestors:).

MTSTM - yes the "pop on metal" trick works for anything frozen. It's so handy:).

No sun shining here but no snow either which is a plus. I'm hoping the cloud might lift a bit later but so far it's just wanting to give us sleety rain. Another day for lots of layers I think.

Foodwise I'm for a cheese & beetroot sarnie at lunch time and fish pie with green beans & cabbage tonight. That will use up the last of my savoy cabbage, so until my next shop my leafyveg will be need to be sprouts and or frozen spinach. As I have extra milk this week from m y Dad, I'm hoping not to get another shop until Weds/Thurs. I've lots of different veg and bread products in the freezer so it should work out ok.:)
  • caronc
    Options
    A freezing start. First thing every morning what I do is open the windows/patio doors and give the room a good airing .... and then it's cold, but it does need doing daily.

Probably toasted bread crusts and baked beans for a warming breakfast.

Awaiting those shelves to arrive at the shop, so I can collect.... checked this morning and they're on their way, but not arrived.

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/7109-kis-4-tier-plus-shelf.aspx

These look really handy, I have a similiar set in my lean to for gardening stuff and they hold loads. Hope yours arrive soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback