PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's blinking baltic here again, according to the forecast although the temperature got to 4C it "feels like -2C", your damn tootin it does if not lower.:eek:
    Snow alert has been lifted until Sunday so I was hoping it might warm up a bit tomorrow- nope it's to be wet, windy and cold:(.

I've decided that I'm just going to have my veg separate from the pie but make cheesy mash for the top.:)

All this talk of stew - I can feel a beef stew or chilli/curry might be getting popped in the SC at some point over the next few days as I've stewing steak in the freezer.:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Yep...also had to change my password.

Farway - that's lemongrass added to the shopping list tomorrow. This time I will get round to trying out making a drink from it and see what happens.

Dinner cooking currently - and I'm doing a bit of use-up here. So it's going to be a bit of an odd mixture of a sort of stew with curry flavour - using up some spinach leaves and about a dessertspoon of curry paste (had forgotten I'd got 2 and a bit jars of that - and it doesnt match new way of eating). So I've just used a dollop of it and binned the rest (too out-of-date for the foodbank to get the 2 unopened jars), some mushrooms, some canned tomatoes, some soya bean "mince".

I'll eat that with some baked sweet potato chips.

Feel like I've now made reasonable progress towards food reorganisation/learning some bits about "new food" eating. Long way to go still. Quick check of stomach and I "think" it's getting marginally smaller again - fingers crossed.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had to sort password too!! It wouldn't recognise my new email. So left it as the old one.

The store I work in does click and collect, I used to work on this section, clothing not food. It's in the next day after ordering , it comes in with the name and order ref on the packaging . People either try on /look at what they've bought in store or take home , refund can be done straight away or up to 35/45 days later.
    I ordered from tesc@ yesterday some gym leggings for yoga and picked them up from the express store up the road, they are fine but if I need a refund I'd take them back to the superstore as express don't refund clothes.

I had the last of Sunday roast chicken with cheese on a toastie for lunch with a lemon whipped yogurt with a kiwi chopped in it.
    Just eaten tea with dgson , chicken jalfrezi, rice and poppadoms. With a magnum style lolly after.

Beautiful sunny day but bitterly cold, the sun has only just left us. I love it staying lighter for longer.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 6:54PM
    Options
    ....binned the rest (too out-of-date for the foodbank to get the 2 unopened jars)...
    It's a shame they don't have a shelf for "out of date stuff that's sealed" for people to take a chance if they're happy to do so; outside of what they get on offer, a "help yourself/out of date" shelf...

I really fancy pie, but I have no pie .... and I can't justify buying pie because I've got food in the freezer and cupboards.... sausage rolls are just like pies, but they're not like mince/steak/gravy pies, so this time having sausage rolls won't scratch the pie itch.

I can get the beef next week ... which means I need to buy a pie and eat one this weekend really, because once I've got beef that'll be many days' meals ... all the time I'll fancy pie.

I've got the final Xmas spuds that still need using up - so pie and mash seems like a good thing to think about buying/cooking this weekend at some time when I do go out to food shop.

How come L1dl/4ldi never have £2/serves 4 pies as their special of the week?
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages, so been having a chase around because I changed my e -mail at the same time.

Blooming cold wind today, heating turned on, too cold to sit here with numb fingers

Nothing much for me in Lild this morning, still no 1kg frozen chips in stock, however W/r have sent me £1 voucher off frozen food so I could buy some of theirs next time I'm in

Lunch was BF ham & salad sarnie, then 1/8 of my C & O pie, which I had out prepping for dinner and a bit just popped into my mouth

mid afternoon cuppa with bread + some of my vegan no anything choc spread. Not bad, would buy again but not at full price of nearly £4

I noticed, for us stew lovers, Lild have the diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up

Dinner is more of the C & O pie, quite full with all the nibbling so may just be 1/8 this time, with piccalilli, and top up with bread & choc spread as required

MTSTM, listening to Gardeners' QT and James Wong reckoned Lemon Grass, grown yourself, makes good tea substitute, using the leaves. The grass stem would be to fibrous for eating when grown in UK, but leaves OK. Just a thought for an experiment this summer

I've used C & C for some items, not food, from the likes of John Lewis/ collect from W/r, Asda & Argos, all in store though, not some mystery van in the car park, I've seen them but no idea how it works. I found it very easy, and most importantly, as HH mentioned, choose own time & day. In my case early in day, easy parking & no queues

Also had to change password, why? wish t hey would leave things alone. TV also giving me the evil eye, some channels have been changed, follow instructions, would if I could find them lol .

Had a senior moment and tipped the carefully strained chicken stock back into electric pressure cooker without the inner pot, big clean up and now error messages from said appliance.

My all singing and dancing, expensive lol, sewing machine is having a hickey fit, my lovely yoghurt maker decided to take a holiday and didn't yog.

Cant decide if I should, if its still possible, just to forget modern stuff and haunt the car boots for reliable, lol ,old stuff or let them cart me off to a care home.

Oh and I also cant find where I stored photos so I can post on here, you were kind enough to advise some time ago.

Anyway just wanted to ask how much is the beef on offer from lydl next Thursday.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    About Xmas I randomly bought a whole Soreen loaf, something with a festive flavour variation. It lurked. Earlier today I opened it... wasn't impressed at all, so to get shot of it .... I ate the lot.

Just made/ate a toasted crust topped with beans/cheese.

I'm having a pigsy day it seems
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Also had to change password, why? wish t hey would leave things alone. TV also giving me the evil eye, some channels have been changed, follow instructions, would if I could find them lol .

Had a senior moment and tipped the carefully strained chicken stock back into electric pressure cooker without the inner pot, big clean up and now error messages from said appliance.

My all singing and dancing, expensive lol, sewing machine is having a hickey fit, my lovely yoghurt maker decided to take a holiday and didn't yog.

Cant decide if I should, if its still possible, just to forget modern stuff and haunt the car boots for reliable, lol ,old stuff or let them cart me off to a care home.

Oh and I also cant find where I stored photos so I can post on here, you were kind enough to advise some time ago.

Anyway just wanted to ask how much is the beef on offer from lydl next Thursday.
    Oh Meg sounds like you've had the type of day when bedtime can't come soon enough!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Eaten that dinner now - it comes under "Well - I ate it" heading and there's leftovers of it for tomorrow. Oh well - try not to waste any more than I can help....

Oh dear - now feels nervous about switching on tv - in case it's all gone odd. It took me some time to train myself into getting Channel 4 here by pushing for Channel 7 (as that is what it's on in Wales) - after the easy stuff of BBC1 is still 1, BBC2 is still 2, ITV is still 3.

On that note - I'd better stop reading (yet another) new cookbook I've had through in the post and go and check the tv out.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a shame they don't have a shelf for "out of date stuff that's sealed" for people to take a chance if they're happy to do so; outside of what they get on offer, a "help yourself/out of date" shelf...
    Was buying (or trying to buy) some flowers at the local supermarket when the cashier said she couldn't sell them to me as they were past the sell by date - I kid you not.
    'Well you can give them to me,' says I. And she did! :rotfl:
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Oh Meg sounds like you've had t
    he type of day when bedtime can't come soon enough
    ![/QUOTE
    Yeah and I will get up in the morning with my stubborn head on think 0h well just endure this life. lol
    Slimming World at target
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure