The "Save 12k in 2019" Thread

Options

Comments

• EchoDeltaDelta
    Options
    Excellent tips, thank you everyone :)
    I'm definitely going to do a daily Tilly Tidy as well as packing lunch for work (my team are terrible for delicious takeaways that just make me poorer and fatter), I think I've successfully set up adequate standing orders to various accounts to cover regular expenses like car expenses etc. We just started keeping track of spending on fuel and food, allowing £400 for each per month (I have a long commute) but thinking we really should be able to reduce that and anything we come in under can go to savings. Also hoping to make some mortgage overpayments as well. We just moved in the autumn and now have 28 years remaining on the mortgage! That's got to come down!

Thank you for the tips and motivation.
    2019 Savings Challenge - challenger number 86 - £169/£1,000
    MFW - mortgage free date Oct 2046 :eek:
  • roo-dee
    Options
    Hi Can i join please ?

i would like to set a target of £3000.

Good Luck to all
    January 2019 Grocery challenge £93.41 /£240
    2019 savings £48.69/£3000
    Loose 42lbs in 2019 2.5/42
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options

I've joined the January Grocery Challenge thread to track my food/household spending. Set a budget of £50 pm (I live alone!) & keeping a track of every penny. Stopping wasting food is a big one for me.

- planning & booking my summer camping trips in advance. Pitches are much cheaper booked now than nearer summer. I go in whatever weather, so no danger of losing the money spent.

- banned myself from JustEat

I just wanted to echo the recommendation of the January Grocery Challenge over in OldStyle Moneysaving - it is well worth reading the first few posts over there as there are some top tips. I personally brought our monthly spend down from over £700 to just over £200, albeit our human food machine left home six years ago. Also a range of cheap recipes that are well worth dipping into to minimise waste.

Re booking early to save money - this is a good tip - I'm seeing the camping crowd tonight and will suggest we agree and book this while they are staying here for the next couple of nights - (another tip - Party at a home, with everyone bringing the food and drinks so it does not fall on one person. In days gone by our children came too and we organised some games for them and they all slept in the lounge overnight).

Finally Just Eat - very tempting but what are we paying for? a premium to a platform provider that is not even going to the business providing the food. It is basically a sophisticated version of the old Yellow Pages. You are absolutely right. I will send DH to collect any take-aways we have from now on ! :rotfl:
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    Hmm, I'm going to have a look at that grocery challenge. I tend to shop for my dinner ad hoc, often in M&S on the way home from work and spend at least £200pm (£350 in December!:eek:) .

That's far too much for one person, I need to meal plan (and diet!).
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    Even the most simple act of keeping my receipts & logging how much I've spent against my budget really helps me think about what I'm buying/spending. I've done another little shop today, as I've unexpectedly got the day off work, & was mindful to only buy a few of the bits that are on my long shopping list already (the Big Shop is due...) so I could make some tasty lunches & dinners today & tomorrow. I've just bought them a bit earlier.
    If I'd not been doing the challenge, I'd have had all sorts of rubbish in the basket ....
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    Even the most simple act of keeping my receipts & logging how much I've spent against my budget really helps me think about what I'm buying/spending. I've done another little shop today, as I've unexpectedly got the day off work, & was mindful to only buy a few of the bits that are on my long shopping list already (the Big Shop is due...) so I could make some tasty lunches & dinners today & tomorrow. I've just bought them a bit earlier.
    If I'd not been doing the challenge, I'd have had all sorts of rubbish in the basket ....

I'm good at logging spends, but all my food disappears into the "Groceries" column, without me giving ti too much thought of the individual purchases within it. I really need to get on top of this.

As you mention, Novice, a list could be the way forward. Meandering round the aisles and hedonistically putting items I fancy in the basket is not the way to shop efficiently!
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • laurababs
    Options
    I am so excited to get started on this tomorrow :)

Will be saving into a help to buy ISA, stocks and shares plus a flex saver account.

HTB and S&S are not to be touched but flex savings will be used for holidays, special occasions plus any emergency s through the year.
    Save £12K in 2020 #58 - £454.58/£5,000
  • ilselm
    ilselm Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, new joiner here. Please put me down for a £12k target. Good luck everyone and look forward to seeing the progress throughout 2019. Thanks,
  • gwyneth_valiant
    gwyneth_valiant Posts: 53 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2018 at 10:26PM
    Options
    Hi! Please can I sign up for 29419.55? (Yes, quite specific number there for a reason!)

Good luck everyone and happy New Year!!

For the readers amongst you, who actually buy books - I realized how much I actually spent on books after doing my spend review for 2018 a few days ago and almost had a heart attack...

I just found Libby! It's an app that lets you borrow books from your local library for free (you just need a library card). Super awesome & I've decided that I'm not allowed to spend one penny on books (used or new or ebooks) in 2019 and instead use Libby! Hope it's helpful to some of you too!!
    #115 - Save £12k in 2019 challenge: £13152.85/29419.55 - 44%:beer:
    Save 100k by March 31st 2021: £38890.27/100k - 38% :j
  • Smegasaurus
    Options
    Am I being a bit of a n00b... I don't have a number but other people seem to have one in their sigs?

I did fail a bit on my shopping trip. Only went in for some tonic to enjoy with my christmas gin.... came out with a load of rubbish to eat as well. Oh well it is New year. Must only go shopping when not hungry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure