PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

oodles of carrots

Options

Comments

• Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Carrot cake - sorry, don't have recipe but sure someone will. Also very tasty created, mix in a few raisins and dress with a vinegarette dressing. Really yummy.
    Carrot and corriander soup?
    Sorry I don't have specific recipies, but the ideas might jog other peoples memories, or failing that I'd imagine a search on google would get them for you.
    If all else fails, slice/chop then blanche and freeze?
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • garret1
    garret1 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Carrot and coriander soup. Yum
  • Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a sandwich the other day with carrot chutney, I don't have a recipe though.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Peel them,slice them ,blanche them and freeze them.Let the rabbit each the glut of dandielions instead
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
  • moo842
    moo842 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    hi i have loads of carrots to use up, can anyone give me some advice and recipes that will use them?
    thanks
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi moo,

We have a recent thread on the same subject, so I've merged your thread with it, as it makes it easier for Old Style readers to find all replies on the same thread. As always, posts are listed in date order, so you'll have to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Saute some onion in a little butter or oil (with a little celery and garlic if you like) when it begins to soften add your carrots (about 1lb per small onion), and a little salt. Let them saute (with the lid on and on a low heat), after about 10 mins add between 1/2 - 1 tablespoon corriander seeds. Grate the rind of an orange and add alongside the juice and about 1 pint of stock - chicken or vegetable. Finish cooking the carrots and then liquidise, adusting the salt/pepper to taste, and adding a little liquid if needed. You can also add a handfull of finely chopped corriander leaves if liked.

This makes a beautiful soup
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Chopped carrots go in shepherds pie and all sorts of stews. I have a recipie which uses grated carrot and cumin in a muffin batter to make savoury muffins. Carrot and corriander soup and carrot cake are lovely as has already been mentioned.

I have also roasted carrots as an accompaniment, either with shallots and marinaded in honey and balsamic vinegar or with a selection of other winter veg (I used celery, leek, onion, turnip, swede, whole cloves of garlic and carrot, I did the potatoes and parsnips seperate) with a little stock poured over and some quartered lemons pushed in among the veg. You could roast carrots with potatoes and/or parsnips too.

I have also sometimes used pureed carrot as a desert. You could mix in a little cream, I tend to use evaporated milk for economy, and could sweeten it a little with sugar, honey or maple syrup though it's pretty sweet as is. I've mixed it into a custard and baked it in a pie before. It's pretty similar to pumpkin pie.
  • bumpybecky
    bumpybecky Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    carrot cake :)

bet it'd freeze too (not iced) so you can have cake for months - yum :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure