How often do you chat to your grown up children?

Options
I have two sons (37,33) The youngest lives in Australia with his partner and two young children. The oldest lives in London and is single. Sometimes a couple of weeks go by without communicating with them, and I wondered what other people’s experience is, or are daughters different? I talk to my own mum most days on the phone, although she doesn’t live near me, but she is 88. I don’t personally feel the need to talk to my sons frequently, as we all have busy lives, so am I normal or not? I go to Australia every year for a visit, and Skype, but my sons haven’t lived at home since they went to university, and they obviously both moved away. Opinions would be interesting, and am I a terrible mum?

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My eldest child has ASD so weeks can go by without any communication from them. They live with their partner (also ASD) in the same town as me but neither cope with me dropping in unannouced, and both struggle with telephone communication, so I send an e-mail most weeks but often don't get one in reply. Eldest posts regularly on other social media so I tend to check there to make sure they are still ok.
    Youngest lives about an hour's drive away and has a very demanding job so again e-mail (sometimes every other day, sometimes less frequently) is our preferred method of communication, but we do manage to see each other a couple of times a month usually.
    Not sure how normal this is - my sister-in-law speaks to both of her adult children daily on the phone and they drop in to each other's houses several times a week it seems. I do sometimes wonder what they find to talk about but it works for them - just as my way works for me and mine. I do know that if I need to I can call on youngest who will drop everything to come and help me - not so much eldest but that's because of their issues but they would do their best too.
    As you say, many of us lead busy lives these days and sometimes it is difficult to co-ordinate a time for telephone chats or meet ups. I think it's pretty useless to compare yourself to others as you never know the real story. One of my youngest's friends has a mother who seems to want to be involved in all aspects of her life and she hates it but goes along with a lot of it as her mother is always telling her how lonely she is.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am the child! I phone my parents once a week, occasionally twice, they rarely call me. They used to call before my mum became ill. I don't call more often as I am busy most evenings doing things with my children. If they need me they will call, my sister and her adult children live 5 mins walk away so they have frequent visitors.

Over the years my partner has got cross as his mum never calls him. He used to say "you call me next time" and I think the longest he waited until he called her again was 5 months!!! It is different now as her husband died, so we try to keep in contact more regularly, but it is always us calling.
  • ToxicWomble
    Options
    I think boys are definitely different.

I phone my mother once a week yet my wife phones her dad every day.

I think it’s maybe that generally blokes don’t really do small talk
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I rarely talk to my son (38) and see him a couple of times a year. I do message or email him once a week but don't always get a reply. He has a very demanding job and has to travel alot for work so it doesn't worry me. My daughter who is a couple of years older I see on average about once a fortnight, very rarely phone tend to message more. It's all good, we know we can rely on each other if needs be but also respect each other and understand that we have our own independant lives to lead.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I get little texts or messages from my mum once a week or so. I see her twice a year and can't really spend more than 2 days with her without getting annoyed. We have never been close and there are things I can't forgive. I know my mum realises this and is trying hard to make up for it but I'm afraid cocktails and pamper days don't cut it as I needed her most when I was a child. I do try to make effort as I feel sorry for her but every time I do I end up regretting it.

I live at the other end of the country. One brother lives at home and my eldest brother sees her often as they live nearby and she helps look after his children. I would love my mother to be involved with any future children as I do know she's a great grandma and it would bring us together (if she didn't get too interfering). I know it's never too late for us but I did move away to start my own new life without the past. I've always been the sort of outcast of my family but I prefer it this way.

If I have children I imagine me giving them little texts every day and missing them all the time and wanting that mother-daughter bond I didn't have with my mom. Like going on holidays together, her telling me her boyfriend problems or whatever.

I don't think you're a terrible mum and it goes two-ways if you want to remain in contact. If you're really worried, can you ask your children how much they contact they feel they need? I try to tell my mum I need space as she can try encroach on my life and not respect my space and that I'm an adult.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to get a load of grief for not phoning home enough... but rarely got called by parents myself ;)

Made me wary of not pestering / expecting kids to contact me if they don't want to. We natter via instant messenging - works fine. Can go months without actually speaking
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Text every day and sometimes throughout the day. One in UK one in China. Both boys (men!). It's a great way to just check in with them. Usually just stupid stuff. I'm not so good at keeping in touch with my parents though, phone once a week.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    phoning is much more intense - texting / messaging doesn't have to be answered immediately
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Actually, I’ve just realised that I do WhatsApp my sons quite frequently and send photos etc and vice versa. Thanks for the interesting replies so far. I suppose when I think back, I wasn’t always on the phone to my parents or they to me after I left home.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My son is 20, lives in at work, and does a demanding job with long hours. He will message me and his Dad once or twice a week, and we see him once or twice a month. He turned up unexpectedly last night because he had a weekend off and decided to drive home. He will be catching up on sleep and seeing his mates so we wont see much of him, but its lovely having him here.

We have a great relationship but there is no bother if we dont hear from him for a while, we respect that he wants to be independent, and he knows we are here if he needs us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure