Veggie and Vegan Rant

Options

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I'm not massively keen on barbecues either, they seem to be a lot of effort for not a great outcome.

Not sure it could be any worse than one I went to, cooking done by the man of the house who never usually cooked.
    Cheap wafer thin burgers burnt to a crisp. Cheap sausages( Lloyd's) , pieces of pork, burnt.
    Piles of this meat blackened dry meat constantly piled onto my plate, like " it's meat it's delicious" he's urged on by his Father who also has never cooked , to be careful to cook the burgers thoroughly( oh yes they were thoroughly cooked) as they might cause food poisoning .
    I don't recall much veg or salad , but I ate it without complaint.

Sometime later I was out for a meal with some of them.
    That week I'd gone out for a lot of meals , and was tired of eating meat so ordered a vegetarian meal . This guy actually laughed , he couldn't comprehend someone wouldnt eat meat in a restaurant.
    There are some real dinosaurs about .

Were there no nice salads with this vegan food?

I would invite you to mine for a barbecue next weekend, but my parents are coming and they're extremely hard work! Marinated squid with a burned corn salsa and chimichurri marinated steak. For "sides" I'm going to make a Caesar salad (Dad's favourite), a fennel, peach and celeriac slaw, a cucumber, feta and dill salad and some sort of potato product yet to be decided. During the summer we barbecue most days - I make sides that last 2 or 3 days so I just need to make one of those a day in addition to sorting out the meat/ fish element.

I still have fond memories of childhood beach barbecues in Devon after the other holidaymakers had left for the day. Dad would get the portable barbecue out of the car boot (clever thing collapsed into a metal "briefcase" thing) and the cooler box. Even those awful 1970s Birdseye carpet tile burgers tasted awesome sat on a deserted beach at sunset.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Wouldn't any meat eater eat those?

Ha ha, there are a lot of people won't eat anything that wasn't eaten in the 1940s, and thats even the younger ones.
  • hollydays
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I would invite you to mine for a barbecue next weekend, but my parents are coming and they're extremely hard work! Marinated squid with a burned corn salsa and chimichurri marinated steak. For "sides" I'm going to make a Caesar salad (Dad's favourite), a fennel, peach and celeriac slaw, a cucumber, feta and dill salad and some sort of potato product yet to be decided. During the summer we barbecue most days - I make sides that last 2 or 3 days so I just need to make one of those a day in addition to sorting out the meat/ fish element.

I still have fond memories of childhood beach barbecues in Devon after the other holidaymakers had left for the day. Dad would get the portable barbecue out of the car boot (clever thing collapsed into a metal "briefcase" thing) and the cooler box. Even those awful 1970s Birdseye carpet tile burgers tasted awesome sat on a deserted beach at sunset.

Too kind, just as well I'm out of the country:D That sounds like real food.
  • hollydays
    edited 20 July 2019 at 6:29PM
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »

Too kind, just as well I'm out of the country:D That sounds like real food.I've just bought some fennel and celeriac today, have never used celeriac before so wasn't sure what to do with it.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Too kind, just as well I'm out of the country:D That sounds like real food.I've just bought some fennel and celeriac today, have never used celeriac before so wasn't sure what to do with it.

You can eat it grated or cut into matchsticks in a slaw, boil and mash it (I sometimes do it 50/50 with potato) or do a gratin/ dauphinoise as you would potato. Very versatile veg - though not the prettiest.

My slaw is a mix of fennel, celeriac, red onion and peaches with a dressing that has mayo, lemon zest and juice, creamed horseradish and a good wallop of hot sauce.

I'm assuming you're back in Portugal again. Lucky you!
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hugheskevi wrote: »

It does sound as if there is a lot of inflexibility on both sides.

You don’t mean you believe that story? :rotfl::eek:
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    You don’t mean you believe that story?
    There is usually an original grain of truth in these stories, which then gets misrepresented along with bias, prejudice and misunderstanding :D

I find that most threads about vegans/vegetarians, cyclists, animal welfare supporters, runners, and so on usually take the form of a rant about how selfish the group is, how dogmatic and inflexible they are, and as the thread progresses all you see is a dogmatic and inflexible approach from those making ill-informed assertions about the group. This thread doesn't seem any different.

There is a thread over on the pensions board about air-travel and the environment at the moment. It is a much more mature discussion, but a common attitude is still along the lines of what difference can the actions of a single person make, so why bother making any change to lifestyle?

You really can see with such attitudes why a nanny-state approach is necessary in so many areas. Even with all the facts readily available, the majority of the population will not make any change to their lifestyle until forced to by legislation or taxation, and is hostile to those that do. Hopefully the next generation is rather more proactive, and effects change proactively rather than being forced to.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    Oh yes, the elephant in the room that vegans don’t like talking about...... B12.

I have 3 friends who a vegan and two of them have Pernicious Anemia which I believe is caused by a lack of vitamin B12. They have injections every few months. I've often wondered where the B12 for the injections comes from.
  • hollydays
    Options
    I have 3 friends who a vegan and two of them have Pernicious Anemia which I believe is caused by a lack of vitamin B12. They have injections every few months. I've often wondered where the B12 for the injections comes from.

Pernicious anaemia isn't diet related.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options

it's not.

I know 2 people who have been eating meat their whole life who have it.

It's the inability for your body to absorb or process B12 via the stomach no matter how much you eat or drink.
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport