Great Cheap Ways To Make Your House Safer Hunt

Options

Comments

• sor_fes2
    sor_fes2 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask a question since most of the security features we have added to our house have already been mentioned!

We each have a file box (like one drawer of a metal filing cabinet) which we use to keep our important information tidy, such like bank details, medical cards, application forms etc etc - there is enough stuff on paper to warrant a box that size.

Where or how can we keep these secure? In case someone actually gets into the house and ransacks it, these would be easy targets. The boxes are upstairs and are not obvious but are not particuarly difficult to find.

(Apart from managing to build on a secure room to the house!)

Many thanks
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    1) Store as much information as possible online.
    2) Keep very important docs in one file so you can grab it when you have to make an emergency exit.
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    tin - the Argos link doesn't work - do you have the correct product id ?
    Thanks
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • cheggers
    cheggers Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    My tips are never leave, car or house keys downstairs at bed time. If someone brakes in when you are asleelp your car will be gone and they have your keys to re-visit you.

Never leave your wallet, purse, mobile phone, digtial camera down stairs at bedtime, make sure these items are in your bedroom when you are asleep.
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    sor_fes2:

The obvious answer is a safe, but it sounds like you have too much paperwork for the average safe. The other option is a gun cabinet, they come in different sizes and have to conform to british standards so you can rely on the construction to be solid. You can also bolt them to the wall/floor for some serious security!

This might do you:http://www.philipmorris.uk.com/prdf.php?pid=744
  • Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    If you are over 60 here's a tip that can save you some money.

My local authority in conjunction with Age Concern provide a service that sends a man around to fit door locks, dead bolts and window locks. The good news is that it costs you nothing - it's completey free.

They will also supply smoke detectors also for free.

Speak to your local town hall or council offices to get details.

Regards,
    Art.
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was just talking to a friend about this and his recommendation was...

Imagine you had locked yourself out - how would you get in? That's your weak spot, concentrate your efforts there in the first instance.
  • George_Bray
    Options
    I work in the industry.
    "If you can't afford a burglar alarm, then at least buy a 'dummy' siren to go on the front of your house. They're 10-15 pounds from a local electrical wholesaler (CEF, Edmundsons, etc), take 5 mins to fit. Its all about making your property less appealing than those around you!"

You make some good suggestions. I suggest a dummy alarm box is 99% as good as the real thing. After all, if a thief sees the alarm box and breaks in anyway, then what difference will a real bell make? He's already decided it doesn't bother him.

Regards
    George
  • chumfatty
    Options
    Art wrote:
    If you are over 60 here's a tip that can save you some money.

My local authority in conjunction with Age Concern provide a service that sends a man around to fit door locks, dead bolts and window locks. The good news is that it costs you nothing - it's completey free.

They will also supply smoke detectors also for free.

Speak to your local town hall or council offices to get details.

Regards,
    Art.

I forgot to mention something along these lines, Its worth people of all ages checking with their local authorities for free/cheap security advice and tools. Most Police forces will have 'Community Partnerships' with the local councils with a view to reducing Burglary figures (its one of the main Home office counting criteria that judges how forces are run) its in their interest to help to make homes more secure.

Or pop into your local police station and ask to speak to the Crime Reduction Officer/ Community Safety Officer, and see if you can't wangle some free stuff for you and your neighbours.
  • chumfatty
    Options
    then what difference will a real bell make? He's already decided it doesn't bother him.

Regards
    George

Thats a very common misconception George, most Burglars respond to a audible alarms, as they don't know if its linked up to a control centre. In my experience burglars spend less time in alarmed houses than in unprotected homes, thus they steal less.

Chumfatty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport