Are leather seats overrated?

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I much prefer cloth seats for many reasons but do remember the time I had one particular Lotus with grey leather seats.

On a hot day, I got stuck in traffic wearing a black top with the shop name “morgan” printed all over it in white rubbery stuff, as was the fashion at the time.

By the time I got home, the back of my top was now all black and my car seat had “nagrom” printed all over it.
    Wouldn’t have happened with cloth ....

True, but it wouldnt have happened with air con either.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse.
    Not true.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I actually quite like fake leather car seats. It’s a nice man made material in its own right. There’s actually no need to call it leather.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My car has leather seats with suede (or fake suede) inserts that grip bums, bags or anything else placed on them. My wife's car has shiny leather seats. Anything put on them usually end up on the floor within a few yards of setting off.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse. Leather is disgusting and the sooner it heads the same way fur is going, the better

Idiot they are not skinned alive.
  • motorguy
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    Idiot they are not skinned alive.

Oh dont be letting facts getting in the way of someones outrage.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My first car, a G reg mazda 626 had suede or velour seats, so old that I dread to think what they had absorbed over the years, were still smooth to touch but probably full of crud
  • motorguy
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    My first car, a G reg mazda 626 had suede or velour seats, so old that I dread to think what they had absorbed over the years, were still smooth to touch but probably full of crud

I have to say when buying a used car i'm not adverse to getting it left in for a full valet for the above mentioned reasons.

I've watched as the guys do it and its frankly disturbing the amount of dirt comes out. :eek:
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...
    My grandad drove an ancient Austin Maxi with vinyl seats. It felt like you left bits of skin on them if you had shorts on and it was a hot day.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I see in the paper today that really posh people prefer wool on the passenger seats & leave leather for the chauffeur.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure