PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 18 September 2019 at 11:42AM
    Options
    I have tried Grower's Harvest before and it was just fine. The only ones I haven't been impressed by was Lidl's. Quite bland, and more of an orange colour, instead of red. But as most of the other supermarkets offer a basic version for the same (or close to) price, I'm quite happy to get them elsewhere.

I am very fortunate in my location. Shops wise, I have Lidl (X 2), Aldi, M&S, Waitrose, Sainsbo's, Asda, Morrisons, Tescos and Farmfoods all within a 3 mile radius. I also have a car. Whilst there are buses, and it's isn't a large distance, there are none direct to any of these shops! *rolls eyes* But, in walking distance (about 20-25 minutes) is Lidl, Sainsbo's and Morrisons. The Lidl is actually right next to my office, so is very convenient.

We are quite happy to buy a cheaper version of something and give it a try in our house. And fortunate enough to be able to afford the outlay if it turns out we don't like it. From this, we know that we don't like most of Lidl's versions of popular crisps, though their 'potato hoops' are passable lol.

I still have one of those shopping trolleys at home, from last year. I had Labrynthitis, and after the initial worst part was over and it was mostly controlled by medication, I was walking to and from work (was still too dizzy to drive). So I would use the trolley to lug home the heavier shopping during the week lol. So thankfully have an option if the car dies on us.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting the wartime link I thoroughly enjoyed reading that and wow what a plot that one with the shelter!!

Just a heads up for those with problems accessing stores sometimes. I have Amazon Prime and around here at least the Prime Now delivers within two hours from our local Morrisons or Amazon depending on what you order..
    I've scored some absolute bargains on all sorts of things on there,delivered to the door so no petrol cost (free delivery on £40+ orders) They have all the deals currently on in store so is handy of you can't get there for whatever reason.

Parents going for their 65+ 'special jabs' on Thursday at the GP's surgery. I've yet to have mine and apparently my pneumonia one is still valid says on my notes?? (I think they said ten years)
    OH got his free last year being a postie and my boys all qualify for it due to various health issues so I need to do a block booking when our surgery gets them.Our chemist will drag me in if she sees me first lol.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 September 2019 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »

What a shame that so few people today grow any of their own food. No wonder children have no idea how the basic food in their table is grown and sourced and end up believing that milk originates from Sainsbury's and not from cows !

To be fair, some can't grow anything or have limited options due to:
    • No access to allotments - lists are long and it can take years in some places to get/share one.
    • Apartments with no balcony so limited to pots if you have room for them
    • Increasing number of families with children with no permanent home, sharing one room and/or are officially homeless.
    • Not sure how many schools now have space for HE or similar in their curriculum

I only have a Juliet balcony so I'm limited to pots 17 cm d., I've been on an allotment list for years. However, I've started volunteering at an allotment out of my area and I'm learning more and receive some free produce in return.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lidl tomatoes vary, it's worth trying them again. The last lot I had were in a very thick puree, just like Cirio, other times, they are less rich. I've usually found them OK. But if I find a good batch I buy a tray at a time

When I had the pneumonia jab for the first time on Saturday they told me it's good for five years.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    From this, we know that we don't like most of Lidl's versions of popular crisps, though their 'potato hoops' are passable lol.

Oddly enough I quite like them, and the grandchildren love them more on the Brand name than taste I suspect "Crusti Croc"
    euronorris wrote: »
    I still have one of those shopping trolleys at home, from last year. I had Labrynthitis, and after the initial worst part was over and it was mostly controlled by medication, I was walking to and from work (was still too dizzy to drive). So I would use the trolley to lug home the heavier shopping during the week lol. So thankfully have an option if the car dies on us.

The pull along shopping trolleys are very handy items for those without cars. Especially as coming across unexpected YS items means they can be taken home instead of left on the shelf
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Regarding growing space, a 'Window Box' could be an option in some cases. I realise that if you live on the 2nd floor in a block-o-flats this is not practical though!

I still have my mind set at some future point on obtaining old (ideally pre WW2) variety of potato and growing those. There was a program on TV about a year ago where they did a modern vs pre-war (or war time) xmas dinner and aside from the cost factor most of the dinner clients preferred the taste of the 'real article' , although the children if I remember correctly were alarmed at the different carrot shades! :D

They did use some 'appropriate' variety of spud as well. There was a good site with a list of what you can get now including those that are no longer popular etc, I can't find it at the moment but not relevant as its not going to happen for a bit. :)
  • unrecordings
    Options
    This is quite interesting - mainly for recipes than varieties though:
    https://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    My favourite variety, Red Duke of York might be appropriate (though how they might have been smuggled out of The Netherlands in 1942 is anyone's guess - maybe a brexit lesson in there somewhere)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • AndyCF
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    The pull along shopping trolleys are very handy items for those without cars. Especially as coming across unexpected YS items means they can be taken home instead of left on the shelf
    Donkey's years back (as in mid 80's) I recall grandmother had one of these for shopping. I do see them occasionally now, a more 'up to date' version of the same. :) From what I can remember 'back then' she used hers until it completely fell to bits, it must of been a 60's item originally I think. Certainly it was 'always around'

I did consider getting one when things permit although if it was in any way practical I'd prefer one that could be folded up and perhaps "backpacked" when empty to save dragging an empty 'thing' about. Then there's a possibility of putting some 'cool bag' inside it perhaps so frozen goodies can safely survive a good hours journey ? Hmm.
  • AndyCF
    Options
    @unrecordings thanks for the links / info. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback