Mk6 Golf and EGR valve issues

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dan2778 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 62 plate 1.6tdi golf and been advised it's my Egr valve with fault code 7343 it's in limp mode and the Dpf warning light has also come on. My car also falls under this emissions scandal. full vw service history too, does anyone know if any of these are linked with the emission issue and are VW offering any discount for the fault with the egr as I've been quoted £1k by Bromley VW.. Any advice would be helpful please as want this done ASAP but could do without this expensive outlay..

Have you had the fix done?
  • GlosLoneRanger
    Options
    My car has been out of action for three weeks now stuck with one garage and now at my local Volkswagen garage (Evesham). They have said they would cover 90% of costs (Parts and Labour). I am not sure if this is something specific to VW in Evesham, but may act as a precedent for anyone else with EGR problems.

There is a shortage of EGR Valves hence why I am having to wait so long. This must be a serious problem for VW hence why they are offering 90% goodwill towards it. I just wonder whether I can get more!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,624 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dan2778 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 62 plate 1.6tdi golf and been advised it's my Egr valve with fault code 7343 it's in limp mode and the Dpf warning light has also come on. My car also falls under this emissions scandal. full vw service history too, does anyone know if any of these are linked with the emission issue and are VW offering any discount for the fault with the egr as I've been quoted £1k by Bromley VW.. Any advice would be helpful please as want this done ASAP but could do without this expensive outlay..

Why pay £1000 when you can have it remapped out for £120?

You can fit a blanking plate to seal it off or just get it mapped out. Easy job to sort and far cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcq_uBg3jXM
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Why pay £1000 when you can have it remapped out for £120?

You can fit a blanking plate to seal it off or just get it mapped out. Easy job to sort and far cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcq_uBg3jXM
    have you done it then
  • jimjames
    Options
    tedted wrote: »
    have you done it then

Yes. Error cleared and car is running absolutely fine.
  • tedted
    Options
    the egr valve on the golfs that are giving trouble is at the back of the engine and i dont think you can fit a blanking plate to them because of how they are fitted
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently you can blank them off, but while its a lot cheaper than the replacement, its still fairly costly due to the time & difficulty in getting to it.

I've possibly got this issue with my Golf, and it's not yet been for the emissions fix.

My next car won't be a VW.
  • rakzdiu
    Options
    I have same issue.

I drive VW Golf 2010 Plate but 2011 Model 140BHP done Just over 46k.
    Since It has been that Emission Test I have been getting this issue. And for all it only appears to happen when I am driving on Motorway for between 2-4 hours journey.

Today I was driving to Luton from Leicester about 75 miles. From Leicester to Luton no issues but on the return Just after 5miles from Luton it started. To get away I did reset by Turning the KEY OFF and ON while driving on third or 2nd lane between 80-95mph.

I had similar issues on Motorways about 2-3 times in last 2 month. After reading all of your reply on this thread I have to take couple steps toward VW.

Thank you everyone. I will update anything that comes out with cost and what they have to say. I will be dealing with VW at Leicester.
  • jimjames
    Options
    tedted wrote: »
    the egr valve on the golfs that are giving trouble is at the back of the engine and i dont think you can fit a blanking plate to them because of how they are fitted

But you can still map them out, you don't have to blank them off, you can just tell the engine to use 0% EGR
  • tedted
    Options
    if its stuck open a remap wont make any diference at all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts