22 Foxhole East

Options

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a 8 yr old Nissan Micra and DH has a 13 yr old 7 seater Renault.
    If they both were hit by a meteor we would not get £3k combined for them.

I have only been driving for 5 years, and passed my test 7 years ago. So it was much more expensive then, and I had to be a named driver on DHs car until I saved up and bought my own. That was when I took over the car insurances. I am certain DH just auto renewed (I know he did, but he denies it) and paid monthly. I remember him saying he paid £80 a month:eek:
    It is boring, and soul destroying, and only once a year so I can give it 4 or 5 hours if it saves me that much. I have to do all the comparison sites, on each car, and then work out the multicar ones too. Then go direct to a few others. and by that time all I want to do is drown myself in a vat of custard.

But I made a triple layer chocolate cake, and thickened a jar of sour cherries with cornflour, and had a can of squirty cream left in the pantry, so I made quite a convincing (and flipping ENORMOUS) black forest gateau equivalent to look forward to after our potato, sweetcorn and butterbean chowder for tea. That went quite a long way to making me feel a bit more human.

Now if I can find a way to pay it all off by the end of the month I am laughing:rotfl:

In-laws told DH they are coming at half term. They are coming over on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday of half term, and bizarrely the Monday and Tuesday that the kids are back at school. So at least I can take the kids away during the first 7 days of holidays.

I was thinking of maybe two nights in London in a YHA and doing the museums. I am not letting his parents muck about with my holidays any more. But can't book anything until I sort this insurance out.

Too many unknowns to say for sure, whether they are known unknowns matters not.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    OK MORTGAGE UPDATE FOR YEAR COMMENCING 2018

3/1/2018 £108,392.98
    Daily interest down to £5.73 it began at £6.16

This should drop further with remortgage beginning 1/3/18.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Shame it didn't stay at 0.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    I had to go shopping this morning.

DS3 needed new shoes, managed to get them in the sale for £10

Paid for 3 after school clubs (2x football 1x dodgeball) £42 to take me to half term.

Bought two big pots of paint for the walls. I am just going to paint them while until I can think what to do with them. The main thing is that the ceilings are brilliant white, and the walls look clean for my half term visitors.

I have had 6 offers from credit card agencies since the start of the year. None of them needed or wanted or asked for.

DS3 & 4 got walkie talkies for Christmas, and I bought the batteries for them today. They are scurrying about on the landing and stairs giggling like mad (over).

Paid the credit card down by £200 so it is now £416.00. I still have 6 weeks to pay it off,so I will concentrate on paying down the remaining £100 for DS1s school trip and the £280 for the kids regular savers account.

January is always a tight month in our house. Then we have DS3s birthday the first week of Feb, but he never really wants anything, as he is still so happy with all his Xmas tat, the weather is rubbish, and all he really wants is 3 or 4 things to lo open, a ridiculously calorific birthday cake, and a meal out somewhere. So I thought maybe the half term holiday trip to London might double up? We will see.

It is cold here today, but at least I got 2 of them out of the house for a shopping trip. The hamsters have more chewy sticks to much on. i have paint to start getting on with tomorrow.

I have been through all 4 boys' clothes drawers, redistributing and discarding what will not be worn, or needs to be passed down. I need white shirts for nearly all of them, and for some ungodly reason DS3 no longer has any trousers. AT ALL. I don't know what he has done with them!! Plenty of pairs of shorts, but his actual trousers are NOWHERE to be found. Will hit the charity shops on Saturday morning and see what I can come up with.

Sounds like a plan eh?
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Is DS3 into Harry P0tter? We did some of a walking tour of some of the sites used for the films. And now when we watch the films, we can say, 'We've been there!'
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Is DS3 into Harry P0tter? We did some of a walking tour of some of the sites used for the films. And now when we watch the films, we can say, 'We've been there!'

What a brilliant idea! He has read all the books but not seen the last 4 films as they are always on past his bedtime. So I bought him those films for Xmas.
    That sounds like a most excellent plan.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    We searched for free walking tours and then planned it ourselves, starting from Leicester Square. You start off going into the equivalent of the sweet shop - beware of spending a fortune! after going past Big Ben, we crossed the river and went LEFT along towards the eye. There are some free toilets in the Info centre along there (always handy) and past they Eye, ther's a pretty good playground on the right. And a few street performers and then a carousel (£2 a go). It's a short walk up to Trafalgarr square and the st james' park has a playground and sandpit at the far end, near the Palace.

Hmm, this makes perfect sense to me as i can picture it in my head. Hope it is clearer than muddy stuff to you!

Don't think a paid one is much fun - we crossed a few groups and there were 20+ people in them, so you wouldn't hear the guide speaking half the time.
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    I have an electrician upstairs right now putting in an extra socket in my bedroom.
    It is £40, it is £40 i don't really have, but if I get it done now, I can get on with wallpapering and finish the painting and have a bedroom where the only thing left to do is a new carpet and a bed that does not squeak like teenage mice. Unless I decide to put a fireplace back in. But that is not imminent.

Not a big job either as it is back to back with another one on the other side of the wall, so barely any plastering needed, and this guy actually seems to clean up after himself and plaster any bits that need doing. Yay!

So I am not up my ladder, my budget is down £40, but I may actually have another room finished before February.

DS4 has managed to poke a hole in the plasterboard in his bedroom that was replastered the other day. Grrrrr. So when this electrician goes, I will get the filler out and do a quick fix.

I have all the materials for painting and wallpapering and paste and brushes and more rollers, which is good as I am going to be proper poor until the last day of the month.

So I have started a list of all the stuff which has to be shunted on to February. Some of it is really low cost stuff (£15 jobs) but still, I cannot afford them at the minute, and I need to remember that.

I am just reminding myself it is a short term money flow problem. If DH had saved for his car insurance I would be fine, and of course, the little packets and parcels have started to arrive through the door for him.
    I don't understand his attitude to money, I never have, I never will. I do not understand his need for St*rbucks twice a day, I do not understand his reluctance to take his own lunch, and I do not understand his willingness to live in a squat with bare plaster on the wall and not want to paint/wallpaper/ have a clean carpet, when he absolutely loves it when it is actually done and finished. But there you go, you can't change people, you can try and understand, and then accept that you will always have an emergency fund, and they will always spend every penny they get. - He has dropped his regular saver accounts to £10 per month, this month, for the foreseeable future as he needs an extra £450 for ????????? I dunno.

We have a very different attitude to money and our finances are very much separate. I am keeping it that way!

Supper tonight is pasties and salads. Lunch is a toasted sandwich.

Electrician has to take his cat to the vet for 2pm so I know he will be long gone by then. And DH will be surprised by a working light on the side of his bed tonight.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I'd charge dh the £40 for the socket then if it's for his bedside lamp........
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    He came to bed last night, wandered around his side of the bed said 'Oh, I did not know we had a socket on this side' The man is a genius.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure