Jaguar Land Rover to cut up to 5,000 jobs

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Even if that was true, is your argument really that its OK to continue to poison us with NOx until they take their own sweet time to get round to producing non toxic exhaust fumes.

It isn't my argument.
    But anyway its not true because this government (and previous) have been foot dragging on the subject of polluted air for 20 years. Otherwise they would have had to discontinue diesel years ago, and we'd have electric buses and taxis in major cities, since current diesel versions are some of the worse offenders , worse than private vehicles you've only got to see it with your own eyes.

How does this ^^^^^ make it untrue that JLR are using Brexit as a convenient scapegoat and timed their announcement to cause as much embarrassment to the government as possible, or that JLR are extremely p!ssed off with the government for effectively killing their diesel sales before they have had time to get viable alternatives in the showrooms?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brexit will hurt JLR too, but you are right that this particular news is largely unrelated and timed to be as difficult for the government as possible. Hopefully it works and the pressure will be enough to prevent further damage.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2019 at 5:36PM
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    But at lease we wont be paying £80 billion a year or so indefinitely like we are in the EU now for all those consultants, bureaucrats, committees and general hangers on....

Likewise, i cant see my life being particularly +/- either way. However leaving the EU brings change, and change sometimesbrings opportunity.

FTFY. WE may have been paying £80bn but we were also getting a fair chunk back in grants - more than most nations within the EU.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Screen-Shot-2016-07-11-at-16.18.40.png
    Net annual contribution, per capita.

So in 2014 - a fairly typical recent year - the UK being a member of the EU cost YOU a bit over €100.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    It isn't my argument.

How does this ^^^^^ make it untrue that JLR are using Brexit as a convenient scapegoat and timed their announcement to cause as much embarrassment to the government as possible, or that JLR are extremely p!ssed off with the government for effectively killing their diesel sales before they have had time to get viable alternatives in the showrooms?

I don't think they have, they had a couple of bad results and saw problems ahead so got a firm of consultants to review every aspect of the business towards the end of last year.

That process has now been completed and the results acted on "in a timely manner".
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    FTFY. WE may have been paying £80bn but we were also getting a fair chunk back in grants - more than most nations within the EU.

Change DOES bring opportunity. It may or may not bring opportunity that you or i can benefit from, but it DOES bring opportunity.

Theres no "sometimes" about it - especially a massive change like this.
  • motorguy
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Screen-Shot-2016-07-11-at-16.18.40.png
    Net annual contribution, per capita.

So in 2014 - a fairly typical recent year - the UK being a member of the EU cost YOU a bit over €100.

So 66 million people in the UK, x €100 = €6.6 billion saved per year. Yay! :beer:

On a more serious note, its happening, no point whinging about it. I will be looking for the opportunities brought about by the change. I dont see any point in dealing with it in any other way.
  • motorguy
    Options
    I don't think they have, they had a couple of bad results and saw problems ahead so got a firm of consultants to review every aspect of the business towards the end of last year.

That process has now been completed and the results acted on "in a timely manner".

coincidentally in a "timely manner" ;)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    So 66 million people in the UK, x €100 = €6.6 billion saved per year. Yay!
    But at what cost?

On a more serious note, its happening
    Is it? Not necessarily.

If May's deal gets voted out, and it's a straight choice between repeal A50 and go ahead with leaving without a deal, then I'd like to hope that the obvious choice wins out.

I will be looking for the opportunities brought about by the change.
    What "opportunities"? There are none. There are only downsides.
  • motorguy
    edited 11 January 2019 at 7:59PM
    Options

But at what cost?

Indeed. Might end up costing us more, might end up costing us less. :)

Is it? Not necessarily.

Yes, it seems there is the real possibility that we have a "democracy" whereby if you dont get the outcome you want you can simply scupper the vote and have it again. Presumably until you get the outcome you want.

What "opportunities"? There are none. There are only downsides.

There are opportunities. Some businesses will grow, some will shrink. There will be people make a shed load of money off the back of all this. Some new businesses will spring up, some will go under.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure