Options
1234568»

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    What's a "gallon", Grandad? I'm only in my late 40s, so I only do metric.

In The Olden Days (when everything was better :D) we measured liquid in many ways, but 20 fluid ounces = 1 pint, 8 pints = 1 gallon was the main one. (btw, 1 fluid oz of water weighs 1 oz, so "a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter", a gallon weighs 10lb)

Somehow, we "metricated" and instead of going for S.I. when volume would be in m3, we invented the litre, which was a way of short changing the public, as what used to be a pint became a "half litre" and instead of 4.5 litre cans of oil we ,moved to 4 litres*, in both cases charging the same (if not more) than the old measure.

Pop into Farmfoods for your milk: 2 litres is £1, Tesco sell 4 pints for £1.09, which is cheaper as 4 pints is 2.27 litres, but most people think it is more expensive.

*there was a brief period when 5 litre cans replaced the gallon, but not now.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    when volume would be in m3, we invented the litre, which was a way of short changing the public

"How big's that oil bottle?"
    "0.005 m3"

Mmm... No, can't quite see why there's any need for the litre, you're right.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Somehow, we "metricated" and instead of going for S.I. when volume would be in m3, we invented the litre, which was a way of short changing the public, as what used to be a pint became a "half litre" and instead of 4.5 litre cans of oil we ,moved to 4 litres*, in both cases charging the same (if not more) than the old measure.
    I know the British (and especially we Scots) invented almost everything, but we can't claim the litre. It's been around since the French revolutionary government adopted metrication in 1799.

It's also in everyday use in the rest of the world, unlike the cubic metre.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    I know the British (and especially we Scots) invented almost everything, but we can't claim the litre. It's been around since the French revolutionary government adopted metrication in 1799.
    I wonder how many Dibnahphiles realise that the basis for SI and metrication was laid by a Brit? John Wilkins, a 17th century clergyman, philosopher, and one of the founders of the Royal Society - one of the few people to have been head of a college at both Oxford and Cambridge.

The metric system has been both extant and broadly unchanged for longer than most of the UK's "traditional" measures, too - the gallon was officially rationalised in the UK from three different-sized official definitions (wine gallon, 3.79l; corn gallon, 4.4l; ale gallon, 4.6l) to a single, of a fourth different size ("imperial gallon", 4.54l) in 1824. The US chose one of the existing three.

It's also in everyday use in the rest of the world, unlike the cubic metre.
    The cubic metre is in "everyday use". Different units for different purposes.
    Just one commonplace use: https://www.cemex.co.uk/concretecalculator.aspx
  • facade
    Options
    We should have used cubic decimetres dm3, (or even cm3) there is no real need for litres. 1000cm3 = 1dm3, 1000dm3 = 1m3 (1dm3 = 1 litre)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• AdrianC
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    We should have used cubic decimetres dm3, (or even cm3) there is no real need for litres. 1000cm3 = 1dm3, 1000dm3 = 1m3 (1dm3 = 1 litre)
    How big's the engine in your car?
  • facade
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    How big's the engine in your car?

1598 cc. Sounds bigger than 97 cubic inches. :D (Never bothered the Americans though, a 427 is the engine to have in your Ford)
    However, if it had been 2000cc, I suppose I'd have said 2 litres, but that is just environmental conditioning.

• AdrianC
    Options
    You've never heard anybody call "1598cc" 1.6 litre?
  • facade
    Options
    In all seriousness, not usually. I would have called it a "sixteen hundred" if I hadn't been pedantic and looked it up.

For some odd reason, they refer to engines as 1000, 11 hundred, 13 hundred, one point four, 15 hundred, 16 hundred, two litre, two point five, 3 litre, three point five, four two, (only with a unit where shown) I wonder why?

Maybe it is that odd thing of we can say one four seven or one hundred and forty seven at different times and we seem to "know" which.

• AdrianC
    Options
    Who's "they"? Manufacturer marketing departments when it comes to sticking a badge on the back? You're in for a shock when you look at what's behind the "engine size" badges on BMW/Merc/Audi these days...

Most average people on the street would be quite happy that "a thousand" and "one litre" are the same thing, and use the two interchangeably.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure