Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    After asking the cabbie 4 times to slow down i think he got the hint he wasnt getting a tip when i rabbit punched him in the back of his head. (did pay for the fare though)A minute later i went into my pocket to get out my map. I'm certain he thought there was going to be a hole in the back of his ear. I thought there was going to be a wail of cabbies (my new collective noun for cabbies)waiting for us at the hotel.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • jcvbpickle
    Options
    Has anyone got any tips for getting to and staying in New York very cheaply. I am a student, wanting to travel out there in June 2012.

Also, if anyone has stayed in any YMCA in New York, your opinions, feelings, would you go back?

Many thanks
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    M4RKM wrote: »
    1 - You're paying for a car service, they need to drive you safely to your destination, You're not paying for friendliness.

2 - Did you complain to Dial 7 afterwards? You should have called dial 7 when in his car.

3 - OK, that's poor service. In that case you have a reason to complain. Tips are based on the base fare, and not the tolls, the couple of dollars difference should have been taken off the TIP.

4 - Again, you're in one of the most multicultural cities in the world. You're paying for a car to take you to your destination, as long as they're doing that, it's acceptable.

Americans tip for acceptable service, which you received. You feel you didn't even get that because of no tip.

Lets look at it this way. $50fare, with 20% tip gives you $10

He overcharged you on the tolls, deduct the $2 difference, $8 tip, he refused to take a $4 discount coupon, $4 tip. That would have shut him up, and you can't be accused of not tipping, but actually being clever, and p**sing him off, and making a point that you know what you're on about.

If it was drastically wrong, like he took you to the wrong destination or an accident happened, I still feel you should have tipped something at least. Taking it down to around 10% would have been acceptable, and by tipping nothing, and not complaining really does paint you as a stereotypical British tourist who doesn't tip.

Next time, take the train, it's cheaper and quicker! :D

Yes OK. Fair point. I guess no tip just makes him think I just didnt bother or forgot.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2012 at 11:23AM
    Options
    M4RKM wrote: »
    Well, if you're not going to tip at all, then of course people are going to be grumpy. Thanks for keeping the stereotype of british people being tight, and not tipping. tipping 15% - 20% is customary, and because of a misunderstanding with a coupon doesn't mean you should reduce the tip to 0%. Didn't you think that english might not be his first language.

Well I disagree. Why on earth should someone tip if they have received poor service? OK so English may not be his first language but that is absolutely not an excuse. Being miserable and grumpy translates the same in any language. It is absurd to tip someone when they have given poor service whatever country you are in. I think you are being grossly unfair to accuse the poster of maintaining a stereotype.

A friend who is a New Yorker reckons on the rare occasion when she receives poor service, she would not leave a tip, and reckons many Americans would do the same.
  • thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2012 at 2:42PM
    Options
    I go the US alot with work and as I go so often the tipping really gets on my nerves at times. Certain situations such as bell boy I will always tip however with restaurants for example It can be a case of in the states it's 'customary' to tip end of!! Regardless if you receive good or bad service and I think some americans do tip regardless of service received because it's 'customary'.
    I also think that some wait staff think they don't have to give you a good service as they will still get a tip anyway, had this on very few occasions but it does happen.

I personally see a tip as a thank you for good service and I think most people from the UK/ Europe do too. If I receive really good service I will leave a good tip so much as 30% if I have been really looked after. I have on one or two occasions not left any tip as I don't think this was deserved this was because on both occasions I was unhappy with my meal, mentioned it to staff no apology was made and meal was not corrected therfore I didn't enjoy my meal.

Even though there is a cultural difference UK to US about tipping, Who can say who is right, who is wrong.... tipping for a bad service? I think it's down to the individual regardless of what country your from.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2012 at 2:59PM
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    After asking the cabbie 4 times to slow down i think he got the hint he wasnt getting a tip when i rabbit punched him in the back of his head. (did pay for the fare though)A minute later i went into my pocket to get out my map. I'm certain he thought there was going to be a hole in the back of his ear. I thought there was going to be a wail of cabbies (my new collective noun for cabbies)waiting for us at the hotel.
    I was in a cab a couple of weeks ago, I was in the front seat and my seatbelt didn't work.... he just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. He came around to try and fix it but it wouldn't work, he said it's ok and locked the doors in the cab. I told him locking the doors wasn't going to save me if he slammed on the breaks but he couldn't understand why not and kept looking at me like he was right and I was wrong. When we got to the hotel he couldn't unlock the cab to let us out, everyone was pulling on the handles but no ones door's were opening and he said it was my fault :rotfl:
    Cabbies make me laugh.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • StevenDr
    Options
    jcvbpickle wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips for getting to and staying in New York very cheaply. I am a student, wanting to travel out there in June 2012.

Also, if anyone has stayed in any YMCA in New York, your opinions, feelings, would you go back?

Many thanks

For cheap stays in NYC I recommend you look at the Priceline website. It allows you bid on hotel prices and if you leave it late you can get brilliant deals. So can choose the star ratings if you want to go for cheaper hotels.

There is more information here

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-priceline-hotel-deals
  • Dave1979
    Options
    I always tip 15-20% to waiters/waitresses when I am in US. You have to remember that it is not like here in Europe where the minimum wage is reasonable and guaranteed as the actual amount you will get paid directly. Some of these people will be on less that the federal minimum wage as tips are expected to make it up to to it. The minimum is $7.25 an hour so they may actually only get $2.15 an hour from the employer!!!
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    I always tip 15-20% to waiters/waitresses when I am in US. You have to remember that it is not like here in Europe where the minimum wage is reasonable and guaranteed as the actual amount you will get paid directly. Some of these people will be on less that the federal minimum wage as tips are expected to make it up to to it. The minimum is $7.25 an hour so they may actually only get $2.15 an hour from the employer!!!
    Tell the kids here that a minimum wage is reasonable . What about self employed cabbies ? I tip if i have had a good or adequate service (about 15-20%) I dont tip if they have been poor or rude,but i will tell them. Best i have done is a $12 tip for a $8 badge talking to a very interesting and knowledgable girl at bb kings shop. Bought a badge for 8 give her 20 and said thats fine
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Dave1979
    Dave1979 Posts: 134 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2012 at 9:05PM
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    Tell the kids here that a minimum wage is reasonable . What about self employed cabbies ? I tip if i have had a good or adequate service (about 15-20%) I dont tip if they have been poor or rude,but i will tell them. Best i have done is a $12 tip for a $8 badge talking to a very interesting and knowledgable girl at bb kings shop. Bought a badge for 8 give her 20 and said thats fine

The wage here is neither here nor there - I worked many a minimum wage job here in Scotland after uni - bars, restaurants etc (good tips I have to say) so know what they have to do and more importantly - put up with !!!!!! customers. I tip cabbies here too (probably to do with the fact that my dad and brother are cabbies).

The point is that I would tip 15% in the US as long as the food arrived in good time as I know what a pittance they are on. The fact is that tipping is the culture in America and as they say "when in Rome...". I hope you never eat in the same place twice as you will be getting the sneeze burger - ever seen Road Trip?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure